Why women are more hated?

Alayne's Shadow.

There is a difference. Dany is charismatic, intelligent and can make people love her.

Oh yeah, when she turned down Quentyns marriage offer that would have given her the allegiance of one of the great houses of Westeros in favor of Daarios blue pubes because he's not good looking, that was a real mark of Danys brilliance.

I have little doubt that they would have left the cause sooner rather than later, although we don't know for sure. Maybe something could've been worked out, but I admit that's unlikely. Still, they lost any chance of that with the release of Jaime. I was just making the point that Cat freeing Jaime accelerated that process of the Karstark alliance imploding. The cause was doomed regardless of Jaime's release.

Yes, but we are now talking about inevitable... Karstarks would abandon Robb no matter what at some point, and discussing that Cat had something in Robb's demise is simply wrong, that's on Robb.

Jon is a guy who gets overpowered by bowen marsh and othel something... seriously!

yes, seriously, between 2 radical maniacs such as Stannis and Dany, incompetent brat like Aegon and child like Tommen, Jon would be the best thing that happened the realm.

"I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros."

"A rich woman came, whose husband and sons had died defending the city walls. During the sack she had fled to her brother in fear. When she returned, she found her house had been turned into a brothel. The whores had bedecked themselves in her jewels and clothes. She wanted her house back, and her jewels. “They can keep the clothes,” she allowed. Dany granted her the jewels but ruled the house was lost when she abandoned it."

Her hypocrisy is another reason why people hate her.

Oh yeah, when she turned down Quentyns marriage offer that would have given her the allegiance of one of the great houses of Westeros in favor of Daarios blue pubes because he's not good looking, that was a real mark of Danys brilliance.

For all her charisma, intelligence and love inspiring she still makes vital political decisions with only her crotch as a guide.

I think it failed you to notice that she didn't quite care about Westeros in ADWD.

Also her capacity for making the masses love her is one of the worst things in the books. Suddenly this foreign girl who knows shit about the culture of her "sons" is freeing all the slaves and they instantly love her. As if they weren't capable of forging their own leaders, their own rebellion etc. "Dracarys!" and boom. The masses are calling her mother and kissing her feet.

That's only possible because she's in this weird land where everybody is two-dimensional and Martin doesn't even bother giving any of them a PoV. This would never happen in Westeros.

Making poor decisions does not mean you are not intelligent. Dany is a highly intelligent, but has made poor decisions. I honestly got the impression she does not even understand the power of the Martells or why it is a perfect base to launch an invasion.

"I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros."

"A rich woman came, whose husband and sons had died defending the city walls. During the sack she had fled to her brother in fear. When she returned, she found her house had been turned into a brothel. The whores had bedecked themselves in her jewels and clothes. She wanted her house back, and her jewels. “They can keep the clothes,” she allowed. Dany granted her the jewels but ruled the house was lost when she abandoned it."

Her hypocrisy is another reason why people hate her.

I actually hope it's foreshadowing. Because it's so obviously hypocritical it's practically thrown at our faces.

There's a difference between "lovable" and "enjoyable," though. I think you can hate and revile a character while still finding their chapters enjoyable. I think we can all agree that Victarion is a horrible human being, but a lot of readers really enjoy his chapters. Similarly, you can love a character or at least respect and admire them while finding their chapters dull as dirt: Brienne is a beloved character, but her AFFC POVs are trashed regularly for being pointless, boring, etc. etc. And as Cersei descended deeper and deeper into cartoonish villainy in AFFC, I found her POVs to get more and more entertaining the worse she got.

It seems like you can be as evil or as horrible as you want, as long as you're sufficiently entertaining about it. If Catelyn were as witty and quotable as Jaime is in the books, and if Jaime were as humourless and dour as Catelyn is in the books, I'm pretty sure fans would have a very different view of their characters.

Absolutely agree with this.

Personally i don't really hate any characters. I mean how could i? They're fictional. Sure i might say 'i hate Catelyn' or whatever, but i'd say the same about sprouts.

I'm new to this site, and frankly i'm astounded at how worked up people seem to get about these characters. I personally can see good and bad in all of them. Dany for instance, has good intentions, but is totally fucking things up. Sansa is a bit dull in the early chapters, but is hardly some evil bitch.

It's amazing that people are finding it hard to detach the fictional world from reality and discuss it calmly and rationally.

I know the books are engrossing etc, but damn...

Personally i don't really hate any characters. I mean how could i? They're fictional. Sure i might say 'i hate Catelyn' or whatever, but i'd say the same about sprouts.

I'm new to this site, and frankly i'm astounded at how worked up people seem to get about these characters. I personally can see good and bad in all of them. Dany for instance, has good intentions, but is totally fucking things up. Sansa is a bit dull in the early chapters, but is hardly some evil bitch.

It's amazing that people are finding it hard to detach the fictional world from reality and discuss it calmly and rationally.

Some of us have very little going in our lives and need an escape. That's my motivation for hating on some characters.

Also her capacity for making the masses love her is one of the worst things in the books. Suddenly this foreign girl who knows shit about the culture of her "sons" is freeing all the slaves and they instantly love her. As if they weren't capable of forging their own leaders, their own rebellion etc. "Dracarys!" and boom. The masses are calling her mother and kissing her feet.

That's only possible because she's in this weird land where everybody is two-dimensional and Martin doesn't even bother giving any of them a PoV. This would never happen in Westeros.

Whether this is true or not, in Martin's world she is immensely charismatic and people do love her.

I actually hope it's foreshadowing. Because it's so obviously hypocritical it's practically thrown at our faces.

Basically this. A ton of ADWD was Martin conveying Dany's hypocrisy — the woman and her home, the ditch digger — such that it's pretty hard for me to miss his meaning. Honestly, apart from being a parallel to Dany's own situation, what is even the point of the woman and her house? Or the conversation with Xaro about the ditch digger?

Welcome

and yes, Dany hate is serious business here

For all her charisma, intelligence and love inspiring she still makes vital political decisions with only her crotch as a guide.

Unlike Tyrion, Stannis and Robb who have never made a single crotchal decision ever.

Now I'm convinced sexism isn't real and it's all in my silly ladybrain. Thanks!

Except she did. Meereen was only a short term project before she left to retake Westeros. Getting married to a Meereen was a poor decision in the long term.

She turned down ships, and Quentyn and told everyone she wanted to stay because she was their "mother" and she couldn't abandon them

She wasn't planning leaving to Westeros any time soon

Unlike Tyrion, Stannis and Robb who have never made a single crotchal decision ever.

Now I'm convinced sexism isn't real and it's all in my sill ladybrain. Thanks!

The funny thing is, just a few pages a go, I criticised Tyrion and said one of the reasons I don't like him is his susceptibility to a pretty face. I don't consider it an endearing trait for men or women.

I have constantly criticised Tyrion and Robb for their choices, though I am unsure why Stannis is on the list. He has never been the type to fall for a pretty face.

Now I'm convinced sexism isn't real and it's all in my silly ladybrain. Thanks!

Robb gets criticized like crazy for his Jeyne Westerling decision as does Tyrion for his involvement of Shae. Stannis' decisions with Mel actually did have a lot of benefits with seemingly little loss, so no, he gets a free pass for that.

Sexism is real, but you're definitely making it seem more than it is with the ASOIAF fanbase right now.

Archived