Pretty much done with the human race

I admit, when I hear stories like this, it makes me want to give up on the world. I inadvertently read something horrific someone posted on facebook a week ago (Space Bandito, looking at you) that I won't repeat here, but it's these stories that make me sick to my stomach and make me want to hug my kids.

Yet there are lots of people doing good everyday, you just don't hear about it. There's just exponentially fewer headlines that say "Inner City Teachers Going Back to Work After Grueling Week." or "Doctor is War Torn Area Continues to Practice."

I like mysterious thread title like this.

I hope that someday the poster will start another thread titled ........ oh maybe perhaps *moan* and it won't be something so depressing.

honestly if I couldn't use this community to be mostly uncut in letting off frustration about all the terrible shit I see around here, I'd probably go crazy. I disagree with a lot of people around here on things that are mostly subjective, but I can at least say people around here will be there for you if you need them to be.

Draw a hard line against this sort of thing, and hold it.

If you don't, the Judges are not the only people that will let you down;

http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/354864

Outrage has followed the move by some members of the Nigerian Senate to legalize pedophilia under the guise of "Islamic tradition."

Digital Journal reported that following a vote to amend the section of the 1999 Constitution that appears to leave the age of marriage open, the Senate prompted by former governor of Zamfara state Ahmed Sani Yerima, who married a 13-year-old Egyptian girl in 2010, passed a resolution to retain the section that allows for child marriage.

Final passage of the amendment awaits approval by the House of Representatives, Digital Journal reported.

Nigerians and human rights organizations have begun a campaign of protests in Abuja and Lagos. Protesters took to the streets and outside state Houses of Assembly and the National Assembly on Tuesday, calling on the Senate to reverse the vote.

The former Minister of Education, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, tweeted: "We kid ourselves to think that we can catch up and compete with the rest of the world, when the #GirlChild is constrained. I got married at 24, after my first post-graduate. Some think 24 is early but then, I was ready to make sound decisions.”

A Nigerian actress Nonso Diobi said: “If she can’t vote, then she can’t marry. A female child should be taken to the classroom, not labor room.”

Nigerian reggae artiste Majek Fashek, said: "How can a man of 40, 50 or over marry a girl of 12, 13yrs? What kind of pedophilia is this?"

Femi Fani-Kayode: We have now become a nation of perverts and pedophiles

Nigeria's former Minister for Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, writing in the Vanguard, said:

... since the Senate, in its infinite wisdom, has now bought into and openly endorsed the "Pedophile Charter" which essentially makes it lawful and constitutional for very young girls to get married and to have sex at a very young age it is my firm view that we have now become a nation of perverts and pedophiles.

The Senate had a chance to clear the air and amend the law but, out of nothing but sentiment and an inexplicable eagerness to compromise with that which is clearly evil, they threw that chance away and sacrificed our most sacred values to Yerima and his gang.

Worst still they did it with a smile on their faces.

Every Nigerian should bow his or her head in shame because instead of crushing the head of the lustful beast that seeks to fornicate with our children, to steal their virtues and to destroy their future what the Senate did the other day was to compromise with and cater for the filthy appetites and godless fantasies of a bunch of child molesters and sexual predators.

It is sordid. It is ungodly. It is evil. And it is unforgivable.

In response to those who argue that child marriage in allowed under Islamic law, Fani-Kayode said:

...there is NO Muslim country in the world that has adopted the "pedophile charter" where 6 or 9 year olds can marry and be bedded except for Saudi Arabia, Iran and Yemen.

Every other Muslim country in the world, including Turkey, Indonesia, Pakistan, Malaysia, Egypt, Jordan, Senegal, the Sudan, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Palestine, United Arab Emirates, Bangladesh, Qatar, Bahrain, Dagestan, Albania, Bosnia, Somalia, Algeria, Libya, Mali, Azerbejhan, Niger, Turkestan, Chechnya and Syria have specifically banned child marriage, pedophilia and child rape in their various constitutions and laws and some have declared it "repugnant”, ”unacceptable” and ”unIslamic”.

Are these people not Muslims too? As a matter of fact, are they not better Muslims than those that insist on sleeping with or marrying underage girls in the name of Islam?

Yerima defends himself: "I will slap the demons out of your head"

According to the National Mirror Online, Yerima, speaking on Tuesday after he stopped the move to amend the section of the constitution the appears to allow child marriage, said:

Nigeria has many uncountable problems and none of them is early marriage. As a matter of fact early marriage is the solution to about half of our problems. For those who wonder if I can give my daughter(s) out in marriage at the age of 9 or 13, I tell you most honestly, I can give her out at the age of 6 if I want to and its not your business. This is because I am a Muslim and I follow the example of the best of mankind, Muhammad (PBUH). In Islam, marriage is not only about sex, it is about family and helping one another in achieving their goals, which is the attainment of Paradise. In Islam, a girl can be given out in marriage as early as 6 years old, but consummation of the marriage can only be done when the girl becomes physically mature and she gives her consent to it because unlike English law, it is not permissible for a man to rape his wife in Shari'ah Law. So what can anybody tell me?

As a Muslim whose parents are from the Middle East, articles like the one above piss me off so much. Child marriage is sick and NO self-respecting religion in the world could/should ever condone it. Honestly, I wonder what version of the Qur'an these crazy people are reading because it sure isn't the one I am. Sorry for the outburst. By the way since we have a thread here about all the terrible things humans do why don't we start a thread about all the good things people do to brighten our days a bit? I read a few days ago an article about a man who stole from a store yet returned the money and apologized for it twenty years later. Made my day by reminding me that some of us are decent people who try to be better and make up for their mistakes/wrongdoings.

the remains of a missing local girl were found

The community is devastated. I can't even imagine what the family is going through. There were so many false Facebook posts these past few months about the body being discovered. There is an ex-boyfriend who got a lawyer immediately after Taylor went missing and is being uncooperative. Please send prayers/best wishes to family.

And? Haven't you seen this clip:

So this is a thing that happened.

A Texas sign company, hoping to get some extra attention for its business, has created a truck decal featuring a woman bound and tied.

The decal shows a blonde woman in jeans curled up on the bed of a pickup truck, her hair obscuring her face and her hands and feet tied with rope. It's meant to be slapped on a truck's tailgate, creating an optical illusion of an actual woman lying in distress.

KWTX News 10 in Waco, Texas reported that Hornet Signs put the decal on the back of an employee's truck to show how realistic its signs are. A female employee volunteered to be tied up and photographed for the promotional material.

"I wasn't expecting the reactions that we got, nor was it really anything we certainly condone or anything else," Hornet Signs owner Brad Kolb told KWTX. "But it was just something...we had to put out there to see who notices it."

Kolb also claimed that since the controversy, he has seen a rise in decal orders.

KWTX said it asked viewers what they thought of Kolb's marketing stunt, and the responses the station received were pretty "one-sided" against it. Some viewers said they even called the police when they saw the decal, thinking a woman was truly in trouble.

Julie Gerstein at the Frisky adds, "The sad thing is, this isn’t even an original idea. Similar truck decals featuring hogtied women, like this, and this, all contribute to a culture of violence against women. Plus, this can’t be making local police happy. How many false 911 calls have been made because of these things?"

And I don't know what's worse, that someone thought this was a good idea, that no involved in it's creation said "let's stop and think about this for a minute", that there are people defending it, or that the owner of the business still thinks it was good idea to drum up business.

If you spend time searching for every act of evil and stupidity, you're bound to come away with a bad impression of humanity.

But that's sampling error.

Faulty frame of reference.

This is not an abstract game of fill-the-bucket where acts of position emotional impact cancels out acts of negative emotional impact. The fact that someone donated their livers to save someone else's life doesn't bring back the life of the pitbull who had been so severely beaten by its owner that it died.

• 7 months later...

Archived