Pretty much done with the human race

Aren't judges elected in the US? Does he have a snowballs chance in hell of getting re-elected? Please tell me the answer is no to the last question.

They usually are. Montana has some unusual views on law. AFAIK, it is the only state where the insanity defense doesn't exist. I visited there, years ago. Beautiful state with people right out of the 19th century.

Saw the thread title and thought "that's a little dramatic, what's it about?" then I read the link and now I think it's entirely appropriate. Very similar case/outcome in the UK was linked in the feminism thread recently... Same shit with the judge blaming the under age girl and giving a ridiculous sentence.

Yep - elected. In Iowa, when the court ruled unanimously for same-sex marriage, a huge campaign was put in place vote them out of their office. In three cases, it succeeded, based pretty much only on this one case. So yeah, as nice as it is to think this guy will be voted out, others are voted out for the above reasons. It's a crap system.

And yeah, this guy needs out. I can't even understand where he is coming from - she was in as much control as he was? Bullshit. Even if she was throwing herself at him non-stop and stalking him after school, it's bullshit. She was 14. Jesus.

They're not elected everywhere. In some states (most of the country, in fact - population-wise), they're appointed. According to Judgepedia, that is. (I didn't even know such a thing existed.)

eta: In this particular case, though, it seems like this judge was elected.

Maarsen,

Aren't judges elected in the US? Does he have a snowballs chance in hell of getting re-elected? Please tell me the answer is no to the last question.

Not directly in South Carolina. They are "elected" by the general assembly after being vetted by the Judiciary Commitee.

They're not elected everywhere. In some states (most of the country, in fact - population-wise), they're appointed. According to Judgepedia, that is. (I didn't even know such a thing existed.)

eta: In this particular case, though, it seems like this judge was elected.

Often they're appointed in the first place, but they have to run for re-election. In practice, people don't generally vote against an incumbent judge unless they've garnered a lot of negative attention for some reason.

In NJ, Judges are appointed by the Governor and approved by the Legislature, and after seven years of service, they are up for tenure. They must be approved by the current Governor at the time and the Legislature. There is a mandatory retirement age of 75 I believe. Also. like the case that LB presented, Judges can, and do, abuse their power.

As far as the OP goes. I am disgusted, but sadly, I am not surprised. Judges tend to abuse their power. They really do enjoy interpreting laws to fit their ideology. That's more or less why millions of people, including myself, have no faith in the Judiciary. I am appalled by the Judge (funny how the Judge's name is not in the article). I would like to know if there's a letter writing campaign or something else that we can do to get the message that the Judge's sentence is unacceptable.

Judge G. Todd Baugh sentenced Stacey Dean Rambold to 15 years in prison, with all but 31 days suspended, for sexual intercourse without consent...

Baugh said he was not convinced that the reasons for Rambold's termination from treatment were serious enough to warrant the lengthy prison term suggested by the prosecution.

Baugh said he listened to recorded statements given by Morales before her death and believes that while she was a troubled youth, she was "as much in control of the situation" as Rambold.

The judge also said Morales was "older than her chronological age."

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/former-senior-high-teacher-gets-days-for-rape-of-student/article_b1f84190-ef23-5868-8799-b779c0421dc1.html

The judge, who said Morales was “as much in control of the situation” as Rambold, said that the teacher’s termination from the program did not warrant the lengthy imprisonment. He suspended all but 31 days of the 15-year sentence — and gave Rambold credit for one day already served.

Neither does the rape of an underage student, apparently. Good god...

Archived