Boarders writing a novel, part 10

First of My Name

I am about two weeks away from self-publishing my second novel, and I've sent out ARCs to reviewers. I am now tense as a cat, awaiting the results. Waiting for reviews is a pretty nervous thing. You believe that you did good work, but you don't know if you believe that because the work is good because it's really good or because believing anything else is too difficult. Being self-published the pressure is even more intense, because we indies have to be our own greatest critics. I sure hope I was hard enough on myself, or else those reviewers will be happy to take over the job. :worried:

I am about two weeks away from self-publishing my second novel, and I've sent out ARCs to reviewers. I am now tense as a cat, awaiting the results. Waiting for reviews is a pretty nervous thing. You believe that you did good work, but you don't know if you believe that because the work is good because it's really good or because believing anything else is too difficult. Being self-published the pressure is even more intense, because we indies have to be our own greatest critics. I sure hope I was hard enough on myself, or else those reviewers will be happy to take over the job. :worried:

Good luck!

Got rejected by the publisher (since they wouldn't have had that many submissions, I've pushed my luck, and gave a polite reply, asking where I can improve).

Back to fixing query letter and agents it is...

Ahh unlucky. Let us know if they provide you with some feedback and whether or not you agree with their verdict.

Good luck with it. I shall pick it up when it comes out as I enjoyed Duchess of the Shallows. I assume it's the follow on? :-)

Got rejected by the publisher (since they wouldn't have had that many submissions, I've pushed my luck, and gave a polite reply, asking where I can improve).

Sorry to hear that. Yes, always worth asking them if they're a small publishing company. You never know what they might say. I am happy to look at your new query letter by the way - sorry for not getting back to you, just been a busy week.

I still have my first three chapters sat on my dining table, in a plastic wallet. Another week before I'm going to pick them up and edit them.

Sorry to hear that, but you sound like you've definitely got the right approach. I've known people who have taken rejection too personally and given up much to easily. It takes a weird mix of caring about your writing enough to make it as good as it can be, and being tough enough to keep slogging on (and ignoring the occasional jerk who just decides to hate what you've written instead of criticising it sensibly).

Trying to get published is a rather grueling process and pretty depressing at at times. But I had a launch event over the weekend and it was really very good to see the new book in print at last, and I can testify that it is definitely worth all the effort.

I have spent the last couple of months trudging along. I now have my full story outlined and have written around 30k words (although I will probably have to rewrite as much as a third of it.) It is going much slower than what I anticipated. I really thought that I would be able to produce a full novel in three months based on how quickly I write shorter work.

A novel is something very different. It evolves and changes, and just the number of ideas that you have to come up with is daunting. I also struggle with losing interest, and I have found that forcing myself to write while feeling like that isn't very productive. My next goal is to have a finished product within a year. I think that is very workable for me.

I am calling the book The Roadies, and it is about a group of wizards that hide themselves from society by working as a road crew for a rock band. When people ask me what I am writing about, I tell them it is like Harry Potter with hookers and blow.

A novel is something very different. It evolves and changes, and just the number of ideas that you have to come up with is daunting. I also struggle with losing interest, and I have found that forcing myself to write while feeling like that isn't very productive. My next goal is to have a finished product within a year. I think that is very workable for me.

I am calling the book The Roadies, and it is about a group of wizards that hide themselves from society by working as a road crew for a rock band. When people ask me what I am writing about, I tell them it is like Harry Potter with hookers and blow.

I know what you mean. My current project has been limping along for weeks and it hit a brick wall four days ago, I ended up spending the weekend writing fluff about a reincarnated Archangel attending magic school. Writing is a lot more fun when you are excited about the story.

The Roadies sounds awesome, I hope it works out for you.

That is a hell of a disguise. I am intrigued.

Got really good advice from a writer friend who is concerned about me trying too hard to be grammatically correct in every sentence. I thought I'd share so anyone who has this problem but hasn't shared it can also benefit:

"Here's another thing"

"The details of how to do it were unable to be agreed upon by the men, and they resolved to allow their creation to make that decision." (The quote he was referring to)

His advice:

"we both know you write really well.. _I_ know that if you're doing this, you want the book to sell well, and you want to be respected as an author... that's great but you're worrying a lil too much and it shows in some of your wording.. it's not apparent to a lay person, but I know your writing style well enough to know when you're trying so hard that it goofs you up.

that sentence makes perfect sense and there's nothing wrong with grammar or syntax... the issue is in the flow of speech.. I get the feeling you're obsessing over grammar and syntax just enough to mess with the natural sense of writing flow that any writer has.

basic idea is, you're a good writer and need to remember that AS you write.. just believe a little more in your ability to write in general and your flow should improve immediately"

May I ask a question. When you wrote did any of you join writers' groups? If so, how did you guys encourage honest critiques? I have joined a group, but after reading some really abysmal things and seen them get the free pass (very positive feedback and only minor criticisms) I'm concerned. I know I do weird things with grammar and sometimes my hands and brain are at different paces. I don't always catch odd wording the first or even second read around, and it has been a long time since I've shared my writing. So yeah I am sensitive about my writing, but I don't want to waste my time on something that is shit because my writers' group didn't want to hurt my feelings.

May I ask a question. When you wrote did any of you join writers' groups? If so, how did you guys encourage honest critiques? I have joined a group, but after reading some really abysmal things and seen them get the free pass (very positive feedback and only minor criticisms) I'm concerned. I know I do weird things with grammar and sometimes my hands and brain are at different paces. I don't always catch odd wording the first or even second read around, and it has been a long time since I've shared my writing. So yeah I am sensitive about my writing, but I don't want to waste my time on something that is shit because my writers' group didn't want to hurt my feelings.

I would have an open conversation with your group about expectations. There are some writer groups that exist only to stroke the egos of the members. This really helps no one.

I used to preface my postings with something along the lines of "Be honest about what you liked, but be even more honest about what didn't work for you. I can't improve if you don't point out what I can do better."

If they don't give you what you need, then find another group.

The ego stroking groups can be toxic.

I wish I had a sure-fire recommendation for finding a good group, but I don't. I was a part of three writer groups (one live and two online) before finding a good group. My writing is much improved because I found that group, so the time and effort seeking one out is worth it.

ETA: This post is not an illustration about how well my writing improved. Putting kids to bed. Now. :)

Sounds to me like it's not the right fit for you. You want an honest critique whereas the others want a confidence boast.

Personally I'm not apart of one. I do have friends who write, so we'll share work occasionally and discuss it. I'm a brutally honest person so it comes across in my critique (when I rarely give mind). And I would expect the same from anyone reading my own.

Archived