Comics VIII - the Crime Syndic8 of America

red snow

I love Claremont's Storm too. Last night I read the issue where she straight up shanks Callisto to become leader of the Morlocks. Four silent panels; knife to the heat, Callisto falls, Storm drops the knife and steps over her body. So badass. And yeah, non-angsty Colossus and Nightcrawler are great. He writes Colossus very much as still a kid (which he is at the time, he's what, 17 or so), whereas Nightcrawler doesn't waste a second moping about how he looks, he's just out there having fun and macking on flight attendants/sorceresses. Claremont was able to give characters moments of angst without making that their whole deal.

It's also nice remembering a time when the x-men were kinda a small an elite club in a relatively self contained world. 75+ issues and the only additions to the team have been Kitty and Rogue (and I think the New Mutants and Wolverine's solo title launched around then) He could do big sweeping arcs with them, but he could also throw in weird random one offs. Like, hey, wanna see the x-men take on Dracula for an issue totally out of the blue? Here ya go!

I love Claremont's Storm too.

She's fine in the beginning, but around the Brood Saga, or after (not coincidentally the period in which the quality begun to decline) she becomes the prototype for the Amazon type of woman that Claremont seems obsessed with and becomes increasingly harder to enjoy or even taking the character seriously.

In Claremont's later runs specially, every character that isn't a Kitty Pryde type ends up becoming an Amazon type (or Clareamazon, if you prefer) and it's very annoying.

X-men fans - what does ANAD stand for?

Thanks!

All New, All Different.

I also read somewhere that Anarky popped up in last weeks issue of Green Lantern Corps. Anyone care to tell me why a relatively minor Batman character/villain was doing in a Green Lantern comic?

It's because they were desperately cashing in on the Batman zero year books by having Jon Stewart called into Gotham during his marine days. No idea why the marines had to go into Gotham but i guess it has something to do with Anarky.

I haven't read zero year yet but if it has all these villains around when Batman begins his career then the mythology seems to have been inverted in that the costumed freaks/villains appeared before the Bat did.

Sleeper is being developed as a potential film ! About time. This could be a genuinely respectable superfilm in the right hands and Affleck being involved is great (as long as he doesn't play the lead), Matt Damon would actually fit the lead role come to think of it.

And this interview with Ben Templesmith explains why he left "ten Grand". Seems to me that he would have stayed if he'd been given joint ownership of the property. I guess both creators were greedy in this case as while Templesmith says "it's not about the money but creative ownership" ownership is where the big money is in comics right now on the off chance it is developed as a film or TV show and "Ten Grand" is definitely a pitch for a film.

I've yet to read the series since he left which is odd as I don't have any interest in his new projects either. I must be very fickle.

Sleeper is being developed as a potential film ! About time. This could be a genuinely respectable superfilm in the right hands and Affleck being involved is great (as long as he doesn't play the lead), Matt Damon would actually fit the lead role come to think of it.

And this interview with Ben Templesmith explains why he left "ten Grand". Seems to me that he would have stayed if he'd been given joint ownership of the property. I guess both creators were greedy in this case as while Templesmith says "it's not about the money but creative ownership" ownership is where the big money is in comics right now on the off chance it is developed as a film or TV show and "Ten Grand" is definitely a pitch for a film.

I've yet to read the series since he left which is odd as I don't have any interest in his new projects either. I must be very fickle.

The new artist style doesn't fit the book nearly as well as Templesmith. I was pretty disappointed with the art in the last issue.

The new artist style doesn't fit the book nearly as well as Templesmith. I was pretty disappointed with the art in the last issue.

Yeah I feel sorry for CP Smith (?) as Templesmith is almost impossible to follow up on. Like I said he added to the atmospher more than JMS words did - although the fusion of plot and art worked really well,

I still think Templesmith was a little unprofessional to leave without word - although the family stuff may cloud that. Still, some may suspect he's been drawing his creator owned stuff when he was under contract with "ten grand". Guess it doesn't matter if he is self employed now.

All New, All Different.

Thanks!

Dude, that was the first time ever a preview brought tears to my eyes. Now that is what I call epic!

I'd say it has epic potential, but it could also be a giant mess. Right now it's relying on nostalgia to ramp up the feels.

[i mean, I'm still excited but also a bit wary.]

Illustrated ballad tells the life story of Alan Moore

This past week, comic book writer Alan Moore turned 60, and in his honor, songwriter and cartoonist Jeffrey Lewis set Moore's biography to pictures and music.

=-=-=

CBR TV: Gillen on Comics, Creator-Owned and "Young Avengers" Fans

Apparently Three is doing well?

On the incredibly positive reaction to "Three": It's touching and it's sold well -- Part of it is it's a good book -- Ryan's killed it, Jordie -- the whole team is fantastic. Against the background of Image, and Image is allowing really personal visions to reach numbers that are impressive. I don't quite like to [dwell] on numbers because it's quite crass. I'm much more into the art side of things. But to see the possibility of art to be sustainable -- me and Jamie, we starved to do "Phonogram." There are "Phonogram" horror stories I could tell.

Good to hear "three" is doing well. I enjoyed the first issue and it does have that "300" feel while subverting it at the same time.Not sure how likely it is to be picked up as a film though

If it is a film, Alan Moore might like this one instead of giving his famous review that attacked the misogyny and homophobia of the 300 film. A review I treasure for this biting line:

"For god's sake Frank, pick up a history book."

THE SQUIDDER: An Original Graphic Novel by Ben Templesmith

THE SQUIDDER is an original graphic novel about an old soldier from a forgotten war in a post-apocalyptic world that has left him behind. The book promises heavy horror, fantasy, and Lovecraftian elements, as well as black humor...

In the vein of Mad Max meets Cthulhu, THE SQUIDDER will explore themes of a changing world, propaganda, and the nature of control via the main character. We'll follow this journey of unfinished business through a world now alien and destroyed by a war which humanity lost generations ago against the almighty squid.

I still need to find out whether "three" is a mini or ongoing. It could make an interesting ongoing as there's quite a bit of scope using the setting of sparta - especially given how little is know about them.

I don't think I've read any of Templesmith's writing yet so still very wary of buying a book by him until I've heard some good reviews. I'd also be wary of giving him money upfront given his recent inability to finish a project. Luckily he's past his kickstarter goal by miles so I don't have to risk investing.

I still need to find out whether "three" is a mini or ongoing. It could make an interesting ongoing as there's quite a bit of scope using the setting of sparta - especially given how little is know about them.

I don't think I've read any of Templesmith's writing yet so still very wary of buying a book by him until I've heard some good reviews. I'd also be wary of giving him money upfront given his recent inability to finish a project. Luckily he's past his kickstarter goal by miles so I don't have to risk investing.

I think he'll finish this book. 10 Grand seemed to have other issues surrounding it.

In other news, Uncanny Avengers 14 spoilers abound on the 'net....if half of it is true this issue will have people howling. Sadly, knowing Remender every character who serves as his mouth piece will likely live through tomorrow.

I think he'll finish this book. 10 Grand seemed to have other issues surrounding it.

In other news, Uncanny Avengers 14 spoilers abound on the 'net....if half of it is true this issue will have people howling. Sadly, knowing Remender every character who serves as his mouth piece will likely live through tomorrow.

I've read it.

Don't be so quick to assume.

I've read it.

Don't be so quick to assume.

If you're saying Wanda summons mutants to fight at her command, and they laugh at her and spit in her face right before Emin dissolves her in acid...

Well I tip my hat to Remender if said death comes to pass.

The Wake 5 was actually pretty good and the ending has me eagerly looking forward to what will happen next month. It's a bit like the Abyss but with elements of "the passage" thrown in. He may blow his own trumpet but Snyder can turn out a decent comic.

If you're saying Wanda summons mutants to fight at her command, and they laugh at her and spit in her face right before Emin dissolves her in acid...

Well I tip my hat to Remender if said death comes to pass.

Wanda dies at the end of the issue, so no, that isn't going to happen

I'll just say multiple sides of the fandom will be pissed at him. And then there are those who simply won't care. But I'm 100% at least one of the deaths will be reversed by the end of this arc.

Archived