Comics VIII - the Crime Syndic8 of America

red snow

I'll just say multiple sides of the fandom will be pissed at him. And then there are those who simply won't care. But I'm 100% at least one of the deaths will be reversed by the end of this arc.

Remender seems to reverse nearly every death in the books he writes. Angel and Fantomax spring to mind.

Remender seems to reverse nearly every death in the books he writes. Angel and Fantomax spring to mind.

Yeah, I'm not worried about anything that happens tomorrow. The story is about time travel and timelines after all.

I'm guessing anything that happens tomorrow is either reversed or ultimately takes place in an alternate timeline.

The only thing up in the air is how much whining about Alex's speech will show up, or how much Wanda will be vindicated because mutants aren't a real people.

Yeah, I'm not worried about anything that happens tomorrow. The story is about time travel and timelines after all.

I'm guessing anything that happens tomorrow is either reversed or ultimately takes place in an alternate timeline.

Didn't Battle of the Atom and Age of Ultron do away with 'alternate timelines'?

Didn't Battle of the Atom and Age of Ultron do away with 'alternate timelines'?

Heh, only Living Tribunal knows.

Seems to me Marvel writers can do whatever they want with time at this point so long as Cyclops isn't vindicated, Hope isn't the actual mutant messiah, or and Strange isn't allowed to do anything awesome. ;-)

The Wake 5 was actually pretty good and the ending has me eagerly looking forward to what will happen next month. It's a bit like the Abyss but with elements of "the passage" thrown in. He may blow his own trumpet but Snyder can turn out a decent comic.

Agreed. Wake 5 was really good. I've been enjoying the book, but this last issue really has me interested now.

Spoilers for Uncanny Avengers #14:

Meh. As someone pointed out, we already know Scarlet Witch gets resurrected for the Red Onslaught story.

So RR killed off the mouthpiece for the view that disagreed with his "mutants are not a race" backpedaling (big surprise!) and some character no one cares about. Rogue is on Feb's Avengers AI cover.

So much hoopla over nothing, unless you're a huge Wonderman fan.

eta: Also, IMO Rogue was justified. She did what any cop would do IMO when confronted with a living genocidal weapon who refused to express remorse for her actions.

Anyone else read Black Science? I liked it. It was pretty action packed, so we don't know much about the characters yet but it has potential.

I bought a copy but haven't had the time to read it. It's a shame he couldn't have an ad for it in uncanny avengers as all the talk about him has been on that this week. Shame for the guy.

Uncanny Avengers #14 was not as good as #13, but then this one was all about transition to the climax, so that's to be expected. The deaths didn't have much emotional resonance either (and we're talking two of my favorites here), though I think they made sense; I mean, Wanda and Rogue dying the way they did was a fitting end for the shitty arc he created for them. And Wonder Man's death was sweet, my favorite Simon-death so far. But he dies all the time, the Jean Grey of the Avengers, so who cares anyway?

Both the annual and #38 of Wolverine and the X-Men were good; first time ever I could relate to Kid Gladiator. Savage Wolverine has started what seems to be the best story in this book so far (the Jock one was such a disappointment...). Infinity #6 was as underwhelming as the rest of the event for me, but I'll admit I loved to see Lockjaw saving the world. Avengers Arena had a solid ending, and I certainly hope that epilogue has some consequences in the next series; and interesting to see Hopeless so honest about how he didn't want to write that book at first, as all writers seem to pretend everything they do is the most fascinating project ever. FF #14 was as fun as usual. Hawkeye, Infinity: The Hunt, and Superior Spider-Man were all generally good. I think I'll only have the time to read the Image books on the weekend.

eta: Also, IMO Rogue was justified. She did what any cop would do IMO when confronted with a living genocidal weapon who refused to express remorse for her actions.

Except that Wanda has done nothing but express remorse for the things she did (when she wasn't even in control of her faculties, mind you) since her return in Children's Crusade, unlike a certain Summers. Also, it was very rude of Rogue to kill her ex's child, who also happens to be a woman who, just 14 issues ago, or two weeks for them, saved her ass from being stabbed to death... And this whole stabbing thing, someone should write a Freudian essay on Remender, honestly.

Infinity #6: Excellent conclusion. Probably one of the best events in awhile, though it might've been a little too compressed actually. Lockjaw and Maximus saving the day was cool, but the most interesting thing is Whispering Maw is probably the one who saved Earth...

Though I guess you could argue Starbrand would've defeated Thanos in the end.

New Avengers #12: Best of the week? Hickman doing what he does best. I do think the explanation about what the Builders place in the Multiverse is should've gone into Infinity $6.

Black Science #1: Interesting stuff. Action packed sci-fi with some Lovecraftian tones. Makes me want to see the presumably inevitable flashbacks more than the main plot.

All New X-men #19: Good action, but light on plot advancement. Tempted to make a Bendis/bends joke given the decompression here. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

WATXM #38: Heh, Beast blaming Scott was a nice touch, as was how no one else even bothered to deal with McCoy's bitching. I liked the tour of the school and I think I might actually miss this series once it's done.

WAXTM Annual: Another great Jean Grey School issue, this time featuring Kid Gladiator and his dad. Really fun and lighthearted, and I think it captured what Aaron was going for in his WAXTM run without descending into cornball territory.

Bedlam #10: Why aren't you reading this? You should feel bad about yourself...That said, this issue was a bit middle of the road, and the fate of the one of the presumably major characters on the last page felt premature as we haven't gotten enough time to know anyone but main two protagonists all that well.

Saga #16: I liked this issue as it started picking up the momentum. All the art, heart, humor, and so on we've come to expect. I especially liked the discussion between Marko's mom and Hazel - definitely made an assumption about the ghost girl that I guess was shown to be wrong here.

Infinity #6- A fitting conclusion to what was easily (although in part due to lack of competition) the best Marvel event in a long time. Lockjaw and Ebony Maw saved the world, who saw that one coming?

New Avengers #12- Namor's slow clap to T'challa alone makes the issue worthwhile. A great issue, although I do agree that the explanation about the role of the Builders would fit more into either the main event or the other Avengers book.

Saga #16- Looks like shit will hit the fan next issue, but this one works anyway.

All New X-men #19- Alright, but not shockingly way too decompressed.

Letter 44 #2- Still building the world, but doing so very effectively, and with a great twist in the end that should make things interesting.

Plus, good issues of Hawkeye, Hulk, Infinity Heist and The Walking Dead, but I don't have much to say about them.

Saga #16 was great as usual. I loved how they threw a massive revelation into the first 5 pages if we take what the guy being interviewed said as true. That turns things on its head as

Alana being a deep undercover spy would be heartbeaking but possibly more plausible given the coincidences involved in them hooking up and the book. Then again she may have really fallen in love and the whole hunting them down seems odd. Whatever the explanation it keeps things very interesting

The rest of the issue was pretty damn good to. I like how BKV and Staples can cover so much in a single panel with regards to Robot and the torture.

I've been catching up on Superior Spider-man and it's the first time since the early JMS titles I've enjoyed the book. I like how Otto takes a more organised approached to crime-fighting and love the spiderbots.

Damn, I really need to read that book. It's been on my TBR list for almost twenty years.

I haven't read it either. I was talking about the movie. Experimental rehabilitation on psycho criminals and what not. And both lead characters end up working for the government.

Black Science had a really nice pulp feel to it but I can't help but think Remender had his pitch for Fantastic Four turned down by Marvel as everything about it feels like the FF but with some swearing and nudity. I wouldn't have minded seeing this take on the FF though. Not sure if it's a title I'll continue to follow though.

Letter 44 on the otherhand was excellent. I read the first 2 issues this morning and the premise and set up is great it's half West Wing and half Alien/Gravity/space odyssey. No wonder it has been optioned for TV already. Really interested to see where this goes.

Stream of consciousness style thoughts on Infinity. Overall, I thought it started out great, but fizzled towards the end due to too many moving parts, and perhaps, my own misinformed expectations.

Between both Avengers titles and the huge story being constructed, the ending just felt like hollow. I'm sure Hickman isn't finished with all of the concepts he's introduced, and maybe it's my own fault for thinking Infinity would be the payoff, but I was underwhelmed with a lot of the Thanos stuff. I wish Infinity only dealt with the Builders and multiverse issues.

Thanos felt shoehorned in. Hickman already had a pretty big story brewing in his two titles. If Marvel wanted to use Thanos in an event, I wish they could've just found a better way to tie Thanos into what was already going on, instead of creating this plot to kill his kids in the midst of everything else. Infinity felt like two fractured stories being told at once.

We had the introduction of several immensely powerful characters who kind of just blended into the scenery as the event went on.

And, on the issue of the intro of so many over-powered characters, the actual disposal of the Builder threat and Thanos' fleet felt far too nonchalant. Essentially, it was Captain Universe/Captain Deus Ex Machina who truly dismantled the Builder threat with the wave of a hand...which she never got around to doing before everything went to hell. But, whatever, she's crazy and stuff...she wasn't in the mood.

RE: Black Swan's epilogue speech about there being much worse out there, followed by her list of examples. I get the sentiment, regardless of whether Hickman ever plans to actually do something with those threats. But, we're dealing with the living embodiment of the Universe here in the form of Captain Universe. Is there a point in describing a power greater than, pretty much, omnipotent? Sometimes I wish Hickman would reign in the need to make things even more profound. We get it, there's someone out there who can destroy the Universe with the blink of an eye instead of the current threat, which needs to exert more effort by lifting a pinky to destroy everything.

I liked the event. Best one in awhile, but I think it sort of fizzled out by the end. The lead-up was some of the best fun I've had reading comics in awhile, though. Here's hoping the regular Avengers title stops being such an exposition fest/perpetual plot vomiter. I went with it all this time because New Avengers served as a compliment to Avengers, considering it placed more emphasis on character development. But, at some point, Hickman needs to reign it in. I'm not worried about the story getting away from him -- he knows what he's doing. I'm more worried about the story getting away from me.

I actually think a big part of this event was the Avengers fighting in the face of almost certain defeat. There were various chances for Hickman to bring more Avenger influence into outcomes of battles, but he purposely left it so they could only fight on against a seemingly triumphant evil.

And, on the issue of the intro of so many over-powered characters, the actual disposal of the Builder threat and Thanos' fleet felt far too nonchalant. Essentially, it was Captain Universe/Captain Deus Ex Machina who truly dismantled the Builder threat with the wave of a hand...which she never got around to doing before everything went to hell. But, whatever, she's crazy and stuff...she wasn't in the mood.

Well she was unconscious, and only came back due to the influence of the Builders. And they only rebelled thanks to Ex Nihilo and Abyss, who in turn had been influenced by their interactions with the Avengers.

I do think if at least Abyss had died it would've been more poignant though.

I went with it all this time because New Avengers served as a compliment to Avengers, considering it placed more emphasis on character development. But, at some point, Hickman needs to reign it in.

I'm with you on this. There's been enough build up, it's time for the Illuminati to work on figuring about who the Big Bad is instead of just waiting for incursions.

Archived