Comics VIII - the Crime Syndic8 of America

red snow

I think I need to reread Fraction's FF from the beginning, as I feel like I've lost track of the story threads.

I gotta disagree with Lady O (heh, no surprise right?) on Young Avengers. I'm excited by Wiccan's destiny. I like that the Timothy Hunter of the MU is a gay kid who doesn't have glasses or owns an owl. One thing that needs to be explained is how Hulkling even ends up talking to Leah. And for JIM fans - is which Leah is that anyway?

Avengers Assemble was good, and I actually liked seeing the rescue from different angles. So again we disagree. :-P

WAXM...I liked it and it's worth getting but I really want to understand what the heck is going on with the future X-men. It's been five issues and I feel like a lot of this could be compressed.

UA continues Remenders hot streak though I kinda wish they'd built the 50th Anniversary story around Planet X instead of BotA. The offer of the Twins to their fellow mutants needs to get more developed reactions from mutants around the world.

Guess I'll have to check Sex Criminals now.

Oh, East of West continues to be awesome.

@Galactus: Thanos had all sorts of kids, but then he started hunting them down and killing them because Death told him to.

I gotta disagree with Lady O (heh, no surprise right?) on Young Avengers. I'm excited by Wiccan's destiny. I like that the Timothy Hunter of the MU is a gay kid who doesn't have glasses or owns an owl. One thing that needs to be explained is how Hulkling even ends up talking to Leah. And for JIM fans - is which Leah is that anyway?

Avengers Assemble was good, and I actually liked seeing the rescue from different angles. So again we disagree. :-P

I'd be fine with it if I wasn't paying for reading different points of view and barely anything else, with only one of those being well-written enough to justify it.

Gillen bringing Leah back... a part of me can only fangirl at this, which was probably his intention, but another can't help but think that kind of ruins the perfect ending she got in Journey Into Mystery. What frustrates me about his Young Avengers is that, well, sure, Wiccan and Loki are the best characters in this cast, but it's a teambook, the writer is supposed to give some space to other characters as well, beyond some clever tirades, musical references, and threatening to punch someone twice per issue. And where the hell is Tommy?!

WAXM...I liked it and it's worth getting but I really want to understand what the heck is going on with the future X-men. It's been five issues and I feel like a lot of this could be compressed.

UA continues Remenders hot streak though I kinda wish they'd built the 50th Anniversary story around Planet X instead of BotA. The offer of the Twins to their fellow mutants needs to get more developed reactions from mutants around the world.

See, two things we can agree on. :cool4: I think Bendis just lost the ability to make his events run more smoothly...

New She-Hulk ongoing out next year. Javier Pulido on art and that Charles Soules guy writing.

On one hand - yay, new female-led title, and She-Hulk is amazing. On another... Marvel thinks She-Hulk, Black Widow and Ms./Captain Marvel are the only female characters they own, right? So many great characters who have only had one or two limited series decades ago, many who never had even that, and they're always publishing the same three titles? Then they justify it by saying it wouldn't sell... Well, I doubt anyone thought Hawkeye would sell this well, but when they got a good creative team with the right idea of what to do with that book, we all know what happened. Is it that hard to do the same thing to female characters? It can't be that hard to find people more talented and suited for such a book than Cullen Brunn and Will Sliney to work on it, right?

On one hand - yay, new female-led title, and She-Hulk is amazing. On another... Marvel thinks She-Hulk, Black Widow and Ms./Captain Marvel are the only female characters they own, right? So many great characters who have only had one or two limited series decades ago, many who never had even that, and they're always publishing the same three titles? Then they justify it by saying it wouldn't sell... Well, I doubt anyone thought Hawkeye would sell this well, but when they got a good creative team with the right idea of what to do with that book, we all know what happened. Is it that hard to do the same thing to female characters? It can't be that hard to find people more talented and suited for such a book than Cullen Brunn and Will Sliney to work on it, right?

Well, I'd love Kathryn Immonen to do Hellcat again, but...

Bunn got Fearless Defenders because his 'Fearless' was one of the relatively decent things to come out of FI, so there was a hook. But they totally cheaped it up on the art with Sliney, eesh. I keep seeing people who want Marjorie Liu to write another female-lead title, but I haven't liked any of her work, so meh.

Which female characters do you think would support a good title or a mini? Marvel has been doing some minis lately, although I hear that they're reluctant to because of sales/pitching issues with them. (I'm most excited for "Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe"). Bonus points for anyone who's not an X-Man or an Avenger...but really, who isn't an Avenger these days?

Well, I'd love Kathryn Immonen to do Hellcat again, but...

Bunn got Fearless Defenders because his 'Fearless' was one of the relatively decent things to come out of FI, so there was a hook. But they totally cheaped it up on the art with Sliney, eesh. I keep seeing people who want Marjorie Liu to write another female-lead title, but I haven't liked any of her work, so meh.

Which female characters do you think would support a good title or a mini? Marvel has been doing some minis lately, although I hear that they're reluctant to because of sales/pitching issues with them. (I'm most excited for "Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe"). Bonus points for anyone who's not an X-Man or an Avenger...but really, who isn't an Avenger these days?

I never read anything he wrote but Fearless Defenders, which sucks, both writing (plot is weaker than dialogue, really) and art (though the art is certainly worse). I just finished reading Liu's Astonishing X-Men, I really liked it, much more than I ever expected to. I think she should be a good choice for a female solo, particularly one about a mutant.

Heh, the two characters who are neither Avengers nor X-Men (as far as I know) that I'd read a solo of would be Hippolyta or Clea, but that's an impossibility, so I have to be happy with FD, I suppose. No, I think a mutant lady should have her own solo series - but actually solo, not something to be shared with current/future husband (Vision and the Scarlet Witch, Storm's latest mini), Wolverine (Kitty and Jubilee had those recently, right?), and not as teambook. When was the last time that happened? Mystique's or Rogue's series, ten years ago? It's past time a mutant character got a new one. I'd be interested in seeing one featuring any of these: Storm, Scarlet Witch, Emma Frost, Polaris, Monet St. Croix, Theresa Cassidy (to fix PAD's horrible mistake in making her an actual banshee), hells, even Kitty Pryde or Rogue! Lorna, Monet and Terry will probably never have their own series, but the rest of them, why not? They're high profile enough for it to sell well, and if Marvel could take their chances with books about D-list villains no one cares about, why should they keep refusing that possibility? They should, if they still want to convince us they care about characters they can't put in a Marvel Studios movie.

I was gonna pull the Journey into Mystery card, but then I realized it has been cancelled. Another strike out for Marvel then.

What frustrates me about his Young Avengers is that, well, sure, Wiccan and Loki are the best characters in this cast, but it's a teambook, the writer is supposed to give some space to other characters as well, beyond some clever tirades, musical references, and threatening to punch someone twice per issue. And where the hell is Tommy?!

Yeah, this Loki-Wiccan arc has been kind of long as a first arc. It's going to run at least until issue #13.

It does sort of feel like the other characters are there to further this plot (Miss America specifically opening gateways) or be placeholders for whatever message Gillen wants to bring up (Kate should not be slut shamed, Prodigy is now bisexual).

The thing with Tommy seemed off to me as well. I mean this guy is kidnapped and no one know what is being done to him. But they are all happy to take a break from rescuing the bloke?!

eta: So, yeah, I still think YA is one of the better books on the stands but I do see the flaws here.

So I'm pretty out of touch with most of what happens in the comic world but I did just come across this page: http://fourcolorheroes.home.insightbb.com/twilightfree.html which talks about a potential Alan Moore work called Twilight of the Superheroes it looks like a mixture of the Watchmen, I am Legend and Game of Thrones.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding much of anything recent regarding this thing, does anyone here know about it and/or whether it's still a possibility?

So I'm pretty out of touch with most of what happens in the comic world but I did just come across this page: http://fourcolorheroes.home.insightbb.com/twilightfree.html which talks about a potential Alan Moore work called Twilight of the Superheroes it looks like a mixture of the Watchmen, I am Legend and Game of Thrones.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding much of anything recent regarding this thing, does anyone here know about it and/or whether it's still a possibility?

I don't think this will ever be published. AFAIK the scripts weren't never done and Alan Moore supposedly ripped up the last check DC ever sent him over some kerfuffle involving V for Vendetta.

Basically DC were assholes in how they treated him and Moore was kind of an asshole in how he treated his friends and colleagues associated with DC.

I think Jason Aaron said it best when he told Moore to Go Fuck Himself.

I'd read a Mystique on going written by Marjorie Liu. I love how she writes her.

Most X-Lady I don't think could really carry out their own title. Not that I don't love them, but they don't have the right dynamics. I think Magik could, though.

Wanda definitly could do with a mini to fix a lot of how she's been mishandled and missing in the last few years... but we're quickly moving past the right moment for that so :/

I don't think this will ever be published. AFAIK the scripts weren't never done and Alan Moore supposedly ripped up the last check DC ever sent him over some kerfuffle involving V for Vendetta.

Basically DC were assholes in how they treated him and Moore was kind of an asshole in how he treated his friends and colleagues associated with DC.

I think Jason Aaron said it best when he told Moore to Go Fuck Himself.

Cripes, I had no idea there was bad blood between Moore and DC. That's so disappointing - I would've loved to have seen a TotG.

Quick Hawkeye question. Is it really, really slow coming out?

I've a subscription and 12 is the last one I got, and I know my subscription isn't over yet. (although I also know I'm getting them a few weeks late)

slow by Marvel standards that's for sure. I think it's probably 10 a year (as it's Marvel Then) but the annual was essentially 2 issues of relevant story.

Cripes, I had no idea there was bad blood between Moore and DC. That's so disappointing - I would've loved to have seen a TotG.

You do well to avoid comic websites as this is something that happens annually. I'm pretty sure DC has a "upset Alan Moore day" on their calendar. Much like Alan Moore has a "piss of other creators day"

Quick Hawkeye question. Is it really, really slow coming out?

I've a subscription and 12 is the last one I got, and I know my subscription isn't over yet. (although I also know I'm getting them a few weeks late)

slow by Marvel standards that's for sure. I think it's probably 10 a year (as it's Marvel Then) but the annual was essentially 2 issues of relevant story.

Yeah, but in this case I think Hawkeye #13 is late because Fraction is to busy with his thousands of projects; I mean, it's been two months since the annual. I think even Brevoort mentioned it in his Tumblr when asked, saying it had something to do with his work on Inhumans, around the time it was announced he'd stop writing FF and F4.

Yeah, but in this case I think Hawkeye #13 is late because Fraction is to busy with his thousands of projects; I mean, it's been two months since the annual. I think even Brevoort mentioned it in his Tumblr when asked, saying it had something to do with his work on Inhumans, around the time it was announced he'd stop writing FF and F4.

Let's hope it doesn't affect sales on Hawkeye. Fraction must really want to (or have to) write Inhumans at the moment. Let's not forget all of his creator owned stuff over at Image as well.

Do any of the regular DC readers know whether new 52 Owlman is connected with the court of the owls. I was just thinking about it and it seems a really obvious angle to play from. Snyder should be all over it if he wasn't from the start. I have to admit I still haven't read any of his Batman run.

I'd read a Mystique on going written by Marjorie Liu. I love how she writes her.

Most X-Lady I don't think could really carry out their own title. Not that I don't love them, but they don't have the right dynamics. I think Magik could, though.

Wanda definitly could do with a mini to fix a lot of how she's been mishandled and missing in the last few years... but we're quickly moving past the right moment for that so :/

Just noticed I completely forgot to reply to your comment last time, which I intended to do :blushing:

Anyway, I like Marjorie Liu's writing, but I disagree on her Mystique, I find her kind of annoying. But then, Mystique is a very hard character to get right, only Claremont can do it, imo.

My X-ladies have managed to carry their solo series. Just last decade, Rogue, Mystique, and Emma Frost all had their own (but Emma's wasn't exactly in-continuity, was it? I haven't read it yet, but I remember reading some controversies about it). I wouldn't be that interested in reading a Magik solo, especially since she's the one established character Bendis manages to write well in Uncanny X-Men, so I don't really see the need for one, and I think most other major X-ladies (Rogue, Storm, Emma) would have a better chance of carrying an ongoing than her. But yeah, Wanda needed one urgently, but Marvel is always eager to let us know how little they care for any Maximoff beyond using them as plot devices. And I fear not many writers would be interested in fixing the mess they've made with the character in Disassembled/House of M; I mean, she rarely even appears in cameos in other series! :bang:

Just noticed I completely forgot to reply to your comment last time, which I intended to do :blushing:

Anyway, I like Marjorie Liu's writing, but I disagree on her Mystique, I find her kind of annoying. But then, Mystique is a very hard character to get right, only Claremont can do it, imo.

My X-ladies have managed to carry their solo series. Just last decade, Rogue, Mystique, and Emma Frost all had their own (but Emma's wasn't exactly in-continuity, was it? I haven't read it yet, but I remember reading some controversies about it). I wouldn't be that interested in reading a Magik solo, especially since she's the one established character Bendis manages to write well in Uncanny X-Men, so I don't really see the need for one, and I think most other major X-ladies (Rogue, Storm, Emma) would have a better chance of carrying an ongoing than her. But yeah, Wanda needed one urgently, but Marvel is always eager to let us know how little they care for any Maximoff beyond using them as plot devices. And I fear not many writers would be interested in fixing the mess they've made with the character in Disassembled/House of M; I mean, she rarely even appears in cameos in other series! :bang:

The BKV/Mckeever Mystigue as a secret agent was ok, i thought. I think she still works well in a team. This is the case with a lot of marvel characters on the whole be it male or female. It's usually the same group of characters that get a solo treatment eg core avengers and Wolverine, Cable and Deadpool.

Elektra could work as a solo title - although it never seems to but again that's true of a lot of solo titles.

I'm trying to think of some good street-level female characters who could carry a solo as this is where the male characters have the most succes usually. Can't think of many really without being female derivatives of male characters (although that works fine for DC). Abigail Brand could work as a solo agent for a sci-fi book?

The problem with the X-men characters is that they are so embroiled in X-continuity that it's hard for them to do solo stories.

EDIT: There's no reason Black Cat couldn't have a solo series and she's street level.

Do any of the regular DC readers know whether new 52 Owlman is connected with the court of the owls. I was just thinking about it and it seems a really obvious angle to play from. Snyder should be all over it if he wasn't from the start. I have to admit I still haven't read any of his Batman run.

Not essentially, this Owlman is from Earth-3. But the imagery behind the flip of Batman into Owlman is the direct inspiration for the symbolism of the Court of Owls, I'm pretty sure. And historically Owlman's Dick Grayson has been Talon.

I love the Crime Syndicate, it's good old Silver Age stuff that lets DC's villains take center stage.

Archived