Comics VIII - the Crime Syndic8 of America

red snow

I don't know, I'm looking forward to it. Especially the part where

Scott leaves the clone for the original.

It fits his MO :P

It would be a really funny way of Cyclops getting back at Logan. "you constantly tried it on with Jean, See how you like it when I go for your daughter/feminine you"

Mr Fantastic could kill an earth as he belongs to Fox as well. I think Hickman likes him too much to do that which means there's only really Namor (does Fox own him or not?). Of course Strange can do so and they'd just relaunch him for the film or say he was possessed by a demon.

I just had a fun thought. What if the next Earth they have to pick is the Ultimate Earth? I was thinking Galactus would kill them but this could up the stakes in drama. Plus some of the Ultimates could cross-over (mainly Miles Morales) and they Ultimate Earth heroes could sacrifice themselves because maybe after Galactus there won't be much left to save?

I just don't see it happening, even with Namor, but I could be wrong seeing as Blackbolt just terraformed the Earth.

It's still kind of amusing that Cap was sorta right - they probably could have used the Time Gem to continually give themselves more time. That or have Franklin create a pocket universe where time, from the relative standpoint of our universe, passes much faster. So 10 billion years in Franklin!Universe is a pico-second here.

I just don't see Marvel letting Hickman make any of the Illuminati world killers. I'd say they'd be willing to throw Strange under the bus like Bendis did a few times over, but he has a film planned so he's morally untouchable.

Frankly, I don't think Marvel cares that much. I mean, they had no problems with Wolverine murdering his children, Spider-Man making a deal with the devil, etc, etc.

I really hate these 2 page Channel 52 news reports that are appearing at the end of every DC comic.

I haven't even bothered reading them as they look pointless. I do resent having to pay for those pages though.

I see that after years of expecting marvelman to be released none of us are that excited by the announcement it's finally coming out?

I guess it would help if I'd read the original

I suppose it would. I think it's funny how half the questions people sent Brevoort on his Tumblr about this were asking if they would print the Alan Moore stories.

I suppose it would. I think it's funny how half the questions people sent Brevoort on his Tumblr about this were asking if they would print the Alan Moore stories.

Which is probably why the original run will be deluxe hardcovers charging us a fortune. No chance of them doing an "essentials" of this run. I know Gaiman owns it all now (along with Buckingham) but does this mean Moore is ok with it being published? I think he and Gaiman are on good terms so it should all be fine.

It sounded as if Gaiman and Buckingham would maybe do the first new stories at least. I can't really see Gaiman handing control of the character over to Marvel outright - although this looks to be the case with Angela.

Oh and DC's "5 years later" as their next August event. I find this hilarious given the fact you can't tell what the Editors plans for a title are 5 issues (not exaggerating to say 5 weeks?) later. The chances of any of those things ever coming to pass are going to be negligble. If they ever did when would "5 years later" be in real time? Decades away?

Unless they move things ahead by 5 years and have that as the new now? But "one year later" was a disaster - increasing the amount of time won't make it better.

Yeah, I agree that this arc of God of Thunder hasn't been going that well, but that team could be interesting enough, depending on future issues.

What really bothered me this week about Infinity was Cap's plan, that is supposed to be so brilliant and make us all scream "badass". Sure, they never had any intention of negotiating with the Builders, but if you break the rules of a parley once, nothing guarantees you won’t do it again, meaning: if Earth ever finds itself in another war against the Kree, Skrulls, Shi’ar, etc. (which is very likely, considering their past), those current allies who have just witnessed you deceive an enemy won’t trust you in the future and any possibility of ending that war peacefully would be gone. Sure, “desperate times etc.”, but it still doesn’t sound like something Cap would be that happy to do (and he seemed quite pleased with himself here). Of course, this is Marvel, so Hickman can just scream “FUCK YOU CONTINUITY! FUCK YOU CHARACTERIZATION!” and everyone is okay with it, because the man is supposed to be a genius. *sigh*

Yay! I'm not the only one who was way bugged by that. I was starting to feel very alone indeed.

Yay! I'm not the only one who was way bugged by that. I was starting to feel very alone indeed.

To be fair, I'm assuming if the Builders had spared the Earth Thor wouldn't have killed their emissary on Hala.

The bigger question is if Freya is going to do anything about the Builders, since she declared Earth as off limits.

To be fair, I'm assuming if the Builders had spared the Earth Thor wouldn't have killed their emissary on Hala.

The bigger question is if Freya is going to do anything about the Builders, since she declared Earth as off limits.

The latter depends on whether Hickman cares to make her do anything, and i don't think it's likely? Unless GotG has a tie in issue, does it?

Looks like we're getting a new Punisher ongoing, I wonder how long this one will last. The Punisher must have some sort of record for the amount of times he gets a new ongoing.

Marvel has this terrible habit of always giving the same characters any ongoings. I mean, just look at the announced female solos: Black Widow, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Elektra. All of them had a solo series sometime in the past five years, and countless volumes spread through the decades. Why insist on the same characters? How many times has Elektra been cancelled? And it looks like they might be giving Angela one as well, but does anyone care about her? It seems to me the quality of GotG dropped considerably after she was unnecessarily thrown into the story.

The latter depends on whether Hickman cares to make her do anything, and i don't think it's likely? Unless GotG has a tie in issue, does it?

There will be at least one Guardians tie-in, but it's Bendis, and Hickman; I find it unlikely they'll bother with continuity. Who knows, though.

Marvel has this terrible habit of always giving the same characters any ongoings. I mean, just look at the announced female solos: Black Widow, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Elektra. All of them had a solo series sometime in the past five years, and countless volumes spread through the decades. Why insist on the same characters? How many times has Elektra been cancelled? And it looks like they might be giving Angela one as well, but does anyone care about her? It seems to me the quality of GotG dropped considerably after she was unnecessarily thrown into the story.

They've also tried a X-23 on going and Sif one in the last five years, neither had had one previously. They push those characters because they're the most high profile Marvel female characters outside of X-Men. That's not a terrible thing for them to do.

There will be at least one Guardians tie-in, but it's Bendis, and Hickman; I find it unlikely they'll bother with continuity. Who knows, though.

Bendis was the one pushing Freya's presence in that council previously, so I think he might follow on that if he doens't get distracted by something else he wants to do in that issue.

To be fair they usually try their higher profile characters. The lead female x-men tend to get a lot of miniseries as opposed to an ongoing. I'm not really sure who else they could try? I think Angela has a strong chance because we HAVE to like her. To get an ongoing I assume a character has to have a strong fanbase within an existing comic? By that logic Psylocke seems like a good candidate given she has her own team and she has enough of a backstory/ninja thing to support her own adventures. Storm, I'm not so sure about.

Avengers? Captain Marvel makes sense given their choices. Scarlet Witch still needs a lot of rehab before she could have her own series and she's never striked me as a character who works on her own.

I think I said earlier that Black Cat seems like a perfectly viable option as a Spider-man spin-off.

Any other candidates I'm ignoring?

Domino could work as a solo hero, for the same reason Black Cat does. Very simple hook, luck based mercenary takes jobs while walking the line between anti-hero and villain. A slightly more serious, female Deadpool.

There really aren't a lot, most come with a lot of baggage that has a great deal to do with being the token woman and love interest, or sidekick of whatever team or title they were originally a part of. The ones that don't have that baggage usually have already had a shot at a solo title. God knows everyone seemed to have had a short lived solo/mini in the 90s and early 00s. Jubilee had a short lived ongoing by Brian Wood way back when.

To be honest, I don't mind the short minis thing they keep doing. (and I read the Jubilee series, it was fun)

There was a "Nightcrawler: paranormal detective" one too that was also nice.

The problem is that minis don't sell well. It's a shame the same is true of anthologies as well. I like how some of the Batman books have back-up strips that would have otherwise been a mini.

I used to get minis of the x-men all the time - some were fun, like the Chamber one by BKV, others were rubbish.

Domino could work as a solo hero, for the same reason Black Cat does. Very simple hook, luck based mercenary takes jobs while walking the line between anti-hero and villain. A slightly more serious, female Deadpool.

There really aren't a lot, most come with a lot of baggage that has a great deal to do with being the token woman and love interest, or sidekick of whatever team or title they were originally a part of. The ones that don't have that baggage usually have already had a shot at a solo title. God knows everyone seemed to have had a short lived solo/mini in the 90s and early 00s. Jubilee had a short lived ongoing by Brian Wood way back when.

There also aren't that many male characters that can carry a solo series either. Most of the time it's out of tradition moreso than anything else. I guess Cable and Deadpool were the last "new" characters to get a decent foothold as a solo character and that sometimes seems to be because marvel insists on constantly trying. Can anyone think of any newer solo characters? Not like there's an abundance of them to start with. X-man managed a few years but not anymore (and he's a clone of Cable).

EDIT: thought of two - Daken and X-23 and we all know what they have in common.

Archived