Jon Snow's Burnt Hand! Why is it mentioned this much? (TWOW spoilers)

SPOILERS! THIS FORUM WILL USE INFORMATION UP TO THE WINDS OF WINTER! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS!

I have no idea if this post has been discussed and this is the first topic I have started.

Ideas:

1)Why does GRRM mentions the burnt hand of Jon Snow in every possible moment that he can?

2)Does the fact that his sword hand is injured go with any of the legends in Westeros? AA, Lightbringer?

3)Most people believe that Jon Snow is AA, disregarding any possible lineage, because of a dream he had where he was fighting the Others with a flaming sword. Could this mean him leading the NW instead of it meaning that he will actually get Lightbringer?

4)Is it possible to have Jon, if he truly died and went to Ghost (his direwolf not an actual ghost), take another body in order to come back? Like Stannis? Or is it more probable that he will be resurrected and go through some kind of transformation(could be physically and/or psychologically)?

Jon's burnt hand is mentioned so much by the posters to show that Targaryens, also confirmed by GRRM, are not fireproof... I don't see anything beyond that.

Yeah, but do you really think that he would mention it so much for five entire books? Even though Jon=Targ is the mainstream idea right now, it is still some speculation.(THIS IS NOT A JON BEING A TARG POST DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF HIM BEING A TARG OR NOT).

Or.... It's one of the things Jon does at certain times, like Davos reaching for his luck, Stannis grinding his teeth, Tormund's "har"....?

He burnt his hand. It bothers him. Tyrion lost his nose. it bothers him. Does Tyrion scatching what is left of his nose mean that he is AAR, and will wield a fiey nose?

I think not.

Or.... It's one of the things Jon does at certain times, like Davos reaching for his luck, Stannis grinding his teeth, Tormund's "har"....?

He burnt his hand. It bothers him. Tyrion lost his nose. it bothers him. Does Tyrion scatching what is left of his nose mean that he is AAR, and will wield a fiey nose?

I think not.

:bowdown: Tyrion's nose is Lightbringer.

Is it mentioned that much? The only thing I remember being mentioned a lot was how he flexed his hand, but it was more like a character trait when he was anxious etc.

It is mentioned if I'm not mistaken probably in every Jon chapter after he burns it. Somethimes its because he's anxious, sometimes because he is going to need his sword hand in order to fight. Either way I do not think is a character trait. Things that get mentioned this much tend to hold much value. E.g. "He has a thousand eyes and one". GRRM by simply mentioning this over and over, led us to the discovery of who the Tree Guy with Bran was.

Yeah, but do you really think that he would mention it so much for five entire books? Even though Jon=Targ is the mainstream idea right now, it is still some speculation.(THIS IS NOT A JON BEING A TARG POST DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF HIM BEING A TARG OR NOT).

Is it mentioned that much? The only thing I remember being mentioned a lot was how he flexed his hand, but it was more like a character trait when he was anxious etc.

As Dany TMQ asked, and I share the opinion, is it mentioned that much? Could you please provide us with some SSMs that we see that it is mentioned so many times. I know why people usually mention it, but as far as GRRM, I had no idea he was doing it... I ask someone to please give us some proofs of this claim

Oh, you meant in the books, normal healing process... Nothing more...

It's foreshadowing for when he gets stabbed... this is why he cant pull his sword out and fight

ACOK...

He began to flex

his hand, opening and closing the fingers. If he let his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy, it well might be the end of him, he knew. A man needed his sword

When he's stabbed...

Jon reached for Longclaw, but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy. Somehow he could not seem to get the sword free of its scabbard.

Its a Tell of his - a quirk. I think it's just like when Arya bites her lip when she lies. Jon flexes his had when he considers. I dont even think it hurts him anylonger

This. It just makes the character more real. It's just like athletes who suffered bad injuries and even after it's completely healed find if difficult to move the way they did before, because in their minds they're overprotective of that knee, muscle or whatever and instinctively avoid stressing it.

Jon's burnt hand is mentioned so much by the posters to show that Targaryens, also confirmed by GRRM, are not fireproof... I don't see anything beyond that.

Yeah, but Jon is not a confirmed Targaryen - yet. Currently he's still Ned Stark's bastard by mystery lady, no matter how much we all believe in R+L=J. Besides, Viserys Targaryen and his golden crown should be proof enough that Targaryens are not fireproof. Who needs Jon's hand to work that out?

I can't answer the question, though, Jon's likely to end up as Azor Ahai and his burnt hand could be Lightbringer, but that sounds like something very cheesy, so I don't believe GRRM would actually mean this talking about his hand all the time.

Another possibility is that it works like a memento for Jon. Reminds him of his duty and mission to free the world of the Others... Nothing but a human reflex that became part of Jon. Like a trademark. This of course contradicts the Others are not bad theory.

Archived