Commonly Believed Myths

Moon-Pale Maiden

Again this is far from settled. I think Dany probably has at least as many clues as Jon. You could say she was born of salt and smoke on Dragonstone. She literally "wakes dragons from stone." the comet appears when she births her dragons. The stuff about the prince that was promised being born from the Mad King's line. Aemon's deathbed epiphany that it was her.

I agree this hasn't been settled yet, but all of that is equally the argument that she's a flashy red herring.

ETA: That is to say, everything that seems to work in her favor also supports the argument that GRRM is pushing her too hard because she's just a distraction.

And you're free to have that opinion, just as I'm free to think that interpretation is, based on what we know of the Kingsguard — priority No. 1, protect the king — ridiculous. Have a great day!

Yeah like Oakheart did when he decided to start a war by crowning the Kings sister. To name one of many many many examples. See my edit anyway, I wont go on about it and you aren't the only one in the thread using it as a proxy to bash skeptics of your favourite theory.

Yeah like Oakheart did when he decided to start a war by crowning the Kings sister. To name one of many many many examples. See my edit anyway, I wont go on about it and you aren't the only one in the thread using it as a proxy to bash skeptics of your favourite theory.

I must have missed the part where Arys Oakhart was one of the three men at the Tower of Joy.

I look forward to seeing your other no doubt enlightening contributions to this thread. :)

I must have missed the part where Arys Oakhart was one of the three men at the Tower of Joy.

I look forward to seeing your other no doubt enlightening contributions to this thread. :)

Ah passive aggression and sarcasm.

I look forward to watching you trying to annoy people within the forum rules when unable to rationally defend your position. I say watching because I wont be participating. Have fun!

Oh, another one: The idea that the Kingsguard would honor a vow made to a dead guy when the living king was miles away and unprotected. Basically a complete misconception of what the Kingsguard oath actually entails.

You yourself have a misconception. If Rhaegar and Lyanna married and if Jon is a legitimate son of Rhaegar, then according to the laws of Westeros, Jon is the rightful heir after Aegon and before Viserys. You could argue that they should have protected Aegon instead of Jon, that would not be possible either. The news of the sack of King's Landing and Aegon's murder would reach Dorne before they leave it. After Aegon, Jon is the heir and even if they tried to go to Dragonstone, that would not help them at all. They are very recognizeable, and they can't get to Dragonstone before Stannis lays siege.

The main point is, while you accuse others to have misconceptions, you can very well be the one having the only misconception about this issue. And your sarcastic attitude doesn't help at all. Yes, you contribute to this forum. Yes, you have some very good theories. But no, that doesn't mean you can be as sarcastic as you please and judge their opinions. You can talk about being correct if/when we learn that R+L=J is incorrect, but even than you should not be sarcastic.

Fixed. :laugh:

I agree. He is of the night until proven otherwise.

He attacked Myrcella in broad daylight, and to my recollection the only time we've seen Darkstar it was daytime.

That he is of the night is pure conjecture, neither proven nor disproven.

I'll give him props for one thing though; he is the single best reason on this forum for people to use the text colour tool in the editor.

EDIT: I looked it up, and it was night-time when they made the trip across the desert.

It was daytime by the time they reached their destination and all hell broke loose.

I'll add its cousin, "Targaryens are immune to sickness."

Which is why Dany has a fever (that she recognizes, meaning she's had one before) at the end of ADWD, why Daeron II and all his gradnsons died in a plague, why Maekar had caught the pox, why Daeron got the pox off a whore, why Rhaegal was sickly and mentally ill, why Naerys was sickly all her life ... etc.

When evaluating the Targs, look at what has actually happened to them, not what they think about themselves.

ETA: And the HBO Wiki thing makes me think that they too are poorly informed (i.e. the intern who wrote it) or have decided to knowingly go off the reservation. Either way, it has no bearing on the book canon.

What people think of the Targaryens is pretty funny regarding fire and sicness.

Here's another one that people get confused about:

Myth: All skinchangers are wargs.

Truth: All wargs are skinchangers, but not all skinchangers are wargs.

Wargs describe a special relationship to wolves only.

Bran is a skinchanger and a warg. So was Varamyr Sixskins. So is Jon, even though he only changes skins with Ghost.

However, Borroq with his boar is not a warg, neither is Grisella the Goat woman, or Orell with his eagle.

Edit: people may get confused because we are all guilty (myself included) of using the verb "warging" when describing all sorts of skinchanging. I.E. Arya "warging" the orange tabby.

Confused. Where did you get this from?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Skinchanger

There is a forum misconception that Targaryens have magical dreams about dragons. There is a bit of subtle distinction necessary here because some Targaryens do in fact have the magical dreaming ability of prophecy.

The misconception I think arises largely due to Daeron (Aemon and Egg's brother) who had prophetic dreams, which he called 'dragon dreams'. Prophets throughout the series most easily see visions about themselves and people close to them, which for Daeron was his family. His family in his dreams were symbolically represented by their house sigil, so he frequently dreamt of dragons. Though it does seem Daeron's prophecies did include more far reaching visions of Dany's literal dragons.

There is also Aemon's statement that my brothers dreamed of dragons, and the dreams killed them, every one. Some posters take that to mean all Aemon's brothers were having magical dragon dreams but that is not indicated by what we know.

Daeron - as stated above, he did have prophetic dreams, and the prophecies were of dragons - these killed him by driving him to too much drink and pox-ridden girls.

Aerion - died of drinking dragonfire. He was deluded and thought he could become a dragon. It might be said he dreamt of becoming a dragon, but it is not indicated that he had any magical dreams about dragons.

Aegon / Egg - died trying to hatch dragons at Summerhall. So obviously he had an ambition (synonym: dream) to hatch dragons. We know that at least in early life he had no magical dreams about dragons.

Aemon himself had dreams of dragons after learning that Dany's had hatched. This is when he is fevered at the end of his life so it is likely that a latent prophetic ability had been woken.

... I think that at least originally, a heart tree had to be a weirwood. That's part of the origin of the term. Now we know of only one heart tree at the center of a "godswood" that is not a weirwood. So not all heart trees are weirwoods now, but I sorta think that if the wildlings or remaining CoTF made it to the Kings Landing godswood they would be like "that's not a heart tree, you silly southerners."

I would agree with this - the original "heart tree" was probably always meant to be a weirwood, but in the current time, it's simply traditional to have godswoods and heart trees and they simply work with what they have.

Archived