Commonly Believed Myths

Moon-Pale Maiden

As to why the Kingsguard were at the Tower of Joy only the king could have ordered them there, if they were within their vow. What ever all the other vows were. they all boil down to do what the King says.

Truth is that they were some very highborn men, I believe they think for themselves and that they saw that Aerys was going insane, and that they couldn't truly do something important by staying in KL. I mean: they might have decided to do whatever they planned by theirselves. I know the line 'woe to the usurper if we had been' as answer to neds question why they wern't on the trident implies that they were acting under orders, but it could also mean they made a plan and later found out they missed the battle that decided the war.

Myth: Purple eyes = Targaryen blood. (i.e. I hear this commonly about Ashara Dayne).

This actually brings up two misconceptions. First, that all Valyrians were Targaryens and secondly, that anyone with purple eyes and silver/gold hair are related to Targaryens.

Valyria was comprised of many different families. The Targaryens were the only family to escape the doom of Valyria with dragons. Secondly, purple eyes and/or silver/gold hair is a Valyrian trait that is shared by many families in Essos, particularly in Lys.

The purple eyes of Ashara Dayne means that she may have some Valyrian blood, or none at all - it could simply be the luck of the draw.

Myth: Purple eyes = Targaryen blood. (i.e. I hear this commonly about Ashara Dayne).

This actually brings up two misconceptions. First, that all Valyrians were Targaryens and secondly, that anyone with purple eyes and silver/gold hair are related to Targaryens.

Valyria was comprised of many different families. The Targaryens were the only family to escape the doom of Valyria with dragons. Secondly, purple eyes and/or silver/gold hair is a Valyrian trait that is shared by many families in Essos, particularly in Lys.

The purple eyes of Ashara Dayne means that she may have some Valyrian blood, or none at all - it could simply be the luck of the draw.

GRRM has said the Daynes have no Valyrian blood in them.

Truth: troll.

You know better. Go to the R+L=J thread if you want to discuss theories. This thread is about common misconceptions.

I don't like to discuss with people who know more about ToJ than GRRM.

I tried a few times but it doesn't work.

For example, Lyanna could have been pregnant by Aerys just the same, which might be a better explanation for the presence of the kingsguard.

We don't know Lyanna gave birth to a living child, and if the child was male.

We don't even know she was pregnant to begin with, sometimes a bed of blood is a bed of blood.

Because of this, I call it a myth. And you calling me troll for that tells me you don't accept other opinions very well.

Myth: Sansa told Cersei Ned's plans

Actually it was mismemory by Cersei who has a habit of rewriting reality to fit her preferred narrative. Sansa didn't tell her Ned's plans, Ned did. Sansa just told Cersei that Ned was sending her and Arya to WF, but Cersei misremembers it being Sansa telling her Ned's plans to boost her credibility as a player.

Ned did talk to Cersei in the godswood first, but Sansa may very well have filled in some details that Cersei did not know about (the name of the ship, etc.). Ned does not really reveal specifics to Cersei.

Sansa did go to talk to Cersei, as Sansa remembers it. So, in principle, Sansa does betray the information.

Oh, another one: The idea that the Kingsguard would honor a vow made to a dead guy when the living king was miles away and unprotected. Basically a complete misconception of what the Kingsguard oath actually entails.

I still find it hard to swallow the idea that the best of the Kingsguard would protect the 4th in line to the Throne throughout a violent war in which the heir was explicitly going into battle and whose potential loss almost assuredly meant the King and the 3rd in line would also be threatened directly by an army numbering in the tens of thousands. Kinda contradictory to their oaths as well, imo.

I still find it hard to swallow the idea that the best of the Kingsguard would protect the 4th in line to the Throne throughout a violent war in which the heir was explicitly going into battle and whose potential loss almost assuredly meant the King and the 3rd in line would also be threatened directly by an army numbering in the tens of thousands. Kinda contradictory to their oaths as well, imo.

The Kingsguard do what they are commanded to do. It's part of their oath.

The first duty of the Kingsguard was to defend the king from harm or threat. The white knights were sworn to obey the king's commands as well, to keep his secrets, counsel him when counsel was requested and keep silent when it was not, serve his pleasure and defend his name and honor. Strictly speaking, it was purely the king's choice whether or not to extend Kingsguard protection to others, even those of royal blood. Some kings thought it right and proper to dispatch Kingsguard to serve and defend their wives and children, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins of greater and lesser degree, and occasionally even their lovers, mistresses, and bastards. But others preferred to use household knights and men-at-arms for those purposes, whilst keeping their seven as their own personal guard, never far from their sides.

Ned did talk to Cersei in the godswood first, but Sansa may very well have filled in some details that Cersei did not know about (the name of the ship, etc.). Ned does not really reveal specifics to Cersei.

Sansa did go to talk to Cersei, as Sansa remembers it. So, in principle, Sansa does betray the information.

Sansa didn't reveal her father's plans except him sending her and Arya away by ship. Ned specifically tells Cersei that he is going to reveal the parentage of her children while after Robert died, he revealed his plans to LF who told Cersei.

Here is one. NOT EVERY PERSON UNDER OATH FOLLOWS THE OATH. SOME OF THEM DO WHAT GETS THEM AHEAD, SO PLEASE LAY OFF THE VOW BULLISH.

I don't know if I'd call this a common misconception, I think most everyone on the board agrees that characters are willing to break their oaths in the interest of self-advancement.

I don't know if I'd call this a common misconception, I think most everyone on the board agrees that characters are willing to break their oaths in the interest of self-advancement.

It's not a misconception. It's just another person in this thread calling foul because the facts don't agree with their theories.

I hope OP returns and delivers more. The one about skin-changers and wargs was particularly enlightening.

It's not a misconception. It's just another person in this thread calling foul because the facts don't agree with their theories.

I hope OP returns and delivers more. The one about skin-changers and wargs was particularly enlightening.

I was not talking about the Jon being legit theory, I was saying in general don't believe that everyone follows their vows, thats how you end up getting suprised that yet another person was stabbed in the back by those close to them.

Sansa didn't reveal her father's plans except him sending her and Arya away by ship. Ned specifically tells Cersei that he is going to reveal the parentage of her children while after Robert died, he revealed his plans to LF who told Cersei.

I concede. I just re-read all those chapters. Sansa does go to Cersei, but all Sansa's telling really causes is that Sansa is neatly captured to a tower cell, Cersei knew what was happening (maybe Sansa revealed the name of the ship/dead Cayn, but that was going to happen any way you cut it).

I guess I am troubled by how naive Sansa behaviour was.

Archived