Football 52: How Many Different Ways Can Commentators Pronounce "Özil"?

Xray the Enforcer

This blog post really articulated my concerns about Liverpool's lethargic, deep-lying start to the season:

http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/09/tied-for-3rd-but-reasons-for-concern-liverpool-after-5-games/

They need to drop Aspas for now or only use him as a wide forward, and play someone who will connect the DM/defenders to the attackers. With Coutinho and Joe Allen injured, that may need to be Alberto or else have Gerrard move further forward. We can't be meekly pinned back for so much of the game.

I think one answer to the question posed there is, quite simply, teams have got used to it. It became increasingly obvious that if you did get the ball, fast, aggressive attacks had a pretty good chance of simply dissolving Liverpool's defence, and Rogers has kind of had to change the attitude to cover for that. You don't entirely have the tools to play counter, but you did it well enough.

However I think it's also notable that even during the extremely good run that closed out the season, the teams that Liverpool have played so far are the same ones that game them the most trouble then (apart from Swansea who last season Liverpool caught at a time when they just didn't give a shit). I reckon that in the next four games, Liverpool will likely look a lot more impressive- Sunderland and Newcastle just don't have the organisation (though if they can get in Liverpool's faces, Southampton-style, they might have some success) that the teams so far have had, whereas the other two will probably lack the physical element to really get to 'Pool. I can see the tiki-taka breaking back out then.

Archived