Video Games: Grinding To Oblivion

Relic

Half-Life 3 development team's existence re-confirmed (along with the L4D3) one.

A word of caution on the matter.

I regret that this humor piece was insufficiently true to life to meet your standards.

A satirical gag has to be true to life to count as satire, though. The first 75% of it was actually quite funny (Valve trying to revolutionise home gaming and getting yelled at for not talking about a completely unrelated matter) but the bit at the end just disappeared off into strawmanning.

Finished Bioshock: Infinite. I didn't find the end to be "OMG, earth shattering" as a lot of people have made it out to be. But it was good. Great game overall. Just that it's an FPS and I made it to the end says a lot. I'm also looking forward to replaying it to collect all the Voxophones and pick up on some of the subtler foreshadowing. Bt here's just too much that I have to play right now; I can't really justify jumping right back in.

Next up is to finish Arkham Asylum, which I'm about 3/4's through. Then probably on to Arkham City. With sessions of Diablo 3 and Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate sprinkled in. Aaagh, it's too much!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (aka "The version where the boss battles are a bit less shit,") will launch on 22 October. This video emphasises only the Wii U features, for some reason.

Eidos Montreal have also confirmed that a new Deus Ex game is in development and will form part of 'Deus Ex Universe', a multi-platform franchise thing.

Well, it looks like it doesn't use steamworks for the cloud saves, but some kind of Eidos solution. It has it's own achievements too, but those look to be identical to and synced in with Steam achievements. Fortunately, after your initial login, it doesn't appear to ask for your credentials anymore.

Yeah, I can't seem to get my d-pad on my xbox 360 pad working either. Using the stick with this game is a little touchy. There was no dual analogue controller when this game came out.

I played it on a keyboard on PC when it came out. Worked pretty well.

I was tempted by FF7, but I still have the original CD-ROM with the patches that make it work with Windows Vista/7 and also lock the game's frame-rate (so the 3D minigames don't go totally haywire speed-wise), so it doesn't really seem necessary.

If they'd made it so you can skip the cut-scenes and summoning/magic animations, this would be a no-brainer, but they haven't.

Haven't given up yet on my new attempt to push through FFXIII, and I'm almost 20 hours in, so that's a good sign. It helps, I think, that I have a second essentially plotless game (Diablo 3) that I can jump over to anytime I want to experience different gameplay mechanics. I usually only like to play one game at a time since I want to stay invested in the plot/characters/atmosphere (no matter how thin they might be, and I don't play many games that have nothing going on there), so its nice to have something like Diablo 3 always available as well.

Is there a FF with post-2003 graphics that is an awesome RPG and works on PC?? I want to get into these JRPGS. Same with Legend of Zelda

No, basically. FF7 and 8 were the only ones to make it to PC (apart from the MMORPGs).

Anachronox on the PC is in a similar vein and is absolutely brilliant, though the graphics are definitely not post-2003 (they're actually a bit iffy for when they came out in 2001). However, it's one of the greatest RPGs ever made IMO.

Is there a FF with post-2003 graphics that is an awesome RPG and works on PC?? I want to get into these JRPGS. Same with Legend of Zelda

It's not FF or Zelda, but some of the Ys games made it to Steam, and I think they're supposed to be alright. Regarding Zelda, you could just fire up Zsnes and play Link to the Past, regarded by many as the best one. Project64 works very well for the N64 ones.

I was under the impression that the PC version of FFVII ruined the game's soundtrack. Is that true? It would make it not worth trying.

They actually just fixed that in a patch for the new version.

Anyway, on the day I wasted money on FF7, look what pops up on Steam Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183195387

To be fair, this game would look amazing at 1080p.

Archived