Video Games: Grinding To Oblivion

Relic

I don't see the point of going past 1GB unless you have multiple monitors.

Right now, yes. But future-proofing for 3-5 years from now? You'll definitely need more than 1 GB on the card.

As for going Nvidia, would I just be able to 'plug and play' the card without any driver issues?

Pretty much yes. As said above, you can manually clean out any leftover drivers or use utility programmes to make sure.

I've been giving AMD more consideration than I used to actually. It seems that most games are optimized for AMD cards these days rather than NVidia which is how it used to be. Plus with both the XB1 and PS4 using AMD hardware I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.

I've always used NVidia cards and been perfectly happy with them though. So I'll see how things develop over the next 8 or 9 months before I upgrade.

Yeah the fact that ps4 and Xbox game development will be very PC-like can only be good for AMD. The guarantees of large user base and many new developers working with AMD hardware will be undoubtedly positive for them. On the other hand Steam machines appear to be more of a niche product, so Nvidia may stand to benefit less than AMD in the near future.

AMD may not benefit as much as you might think. Sony and Microsoft will likely both be driving very hard bargains and rates on the chips, and AMD's profits per chip may be marginal, at best. The fact that AMD was getting into financial difficulties before Microsfot and Sony threw them this lifeline likely means that AMD took whatever deal they could.

OTOH, nVidia have a much healther outlook and secure profit margins on their tech, which allows them to do more in the PC market space.

Fair enough, and Sony is selling the ps4 at a loss on launch, so even they're limiting their profits (which they can recoup from PS+ subscriptions and game sales). So it stands to reason that AMD isn't getting much financial benefit from the partnership. But the fact that more developers will be familiar with AMD's hardware can only help on the PC side of things.

Anyone hear of The Order: 1886 (ps4 exclusive)? There was a great looking trailer at e3, and according to game informer that trailer was in-game, running real-time on a ps4. I know PC will blow it away eventually, but man that means the ps4 can output some serious graphics. And the game itself is a mix of history, mythology, and sci-fi. Man I'm sold.

Here's the trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2FK8dgzW0o8

770 might look future-proof, but is there any point in changing the video card right now? As long as you can run any game you get at the max, I'm not sure it's worth changing for an even bigger one - which might be outdated months before the card you'd bought if you wait until you find some game that won't run well with high-res graphics on. Though I might be wrong at some point in this reasoning.

Still, I have the feeling that video card is what you change first in a computer, nowadays (and for the last 5 years actually).

Interesting, and surprising. I'd have thought Valve would have pursued a single vendor for simplicity, but then I suppose that would be against their open-source policy.

Fair enough, and Sony is selling the ps4 at a loss on launch, so even they're limiting their profits (which they can recoup from PS+ subscriptions and game sales). So it stands to reason that AMD isn't getting much financial benefit from the partnership. But the fact that more developers will be familiar with AMD's hardware can only help on the PC side of things.

Anyone hear of The Order: 1886 (ps4 exclusive)? There was a great looking trailer at e3, and according to game informer that trailer was in-game, running real-time on a ps4. I know PC will blow it away eventually, but man that means the ps4 can output some serious graphics. And the game itself is a mix of history, mythology, and sci-fi. Man I'm sold.

Here's the trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2FK8dgzW0o8

Definitely a game I'm excited about. It's looking like a TPS type gameplay style a la Mass Effect, which I like less than the TP style of, say, Uncharted with a freer roaming camera and more ammenable to platforming as well as running and gunning, which I thought Uncharted did particularly well (albeit running and gunning comes with auto-aiming, it also makes for some panicky fun when trying to shoot at monsters and run away from them at the same time).

Still as long as it's solid gameplay and great settings and good story/acting etc I'll be happy.

In what is probably the...completely unnecessary nail in the already most-metal coffin, when one of the lead devs of Thief was asked if his game would support ghosting, his response reportedly "what, like walking through walls?"

Why is this man designing a Thief game?

Uggh.

SR: We’ve seen players who don’t even bother to read anything they find. We have to make sure the game is fun for them, too. So, it’s a big challenge to add enough layers of exposition to not penalize anyone who wants to skip over that kind of stuff.

Sounds like they've definitely made a camel.

I've no idea whether or not this will be a good game, but it seems 99% sure it'll be a lousy Thief game.

Archived