Video Games: Grinding To Oblivion

Relic

Why not? Riki's a pretty good pick for new players, since you play against noobs too. I remember the first dozen times I played as Riki, I usually got more than 15 kills in every match. My Dotabuff profile says the highest number of kills I got was playing with Riki - 30 kills in 48 minutes. The upside to playing Riki when you're new in pub matches is his Ulti. Noobs don't use wards, so you can do whatever you want, you're free to experiment with new items and find out what does what.

If you ask me, though, the best Hero for new players is Drow. Two passive ( but extremely useful ) spells, and a Silence to boot. Spam Frost Arrows, a Silence here and there, and you're all set.

Yeah, if you know to stay away from towers and out of range of creeps, you can just Q to win. A similar hero is Viper. One of his passives makes last hitting a breeze.

So I just saw a Call of Duty trailer that featured a 10-year old freaking out about the game. Really? We're celebrating that 10-year olds are playing a mature-rated videogame? C'mon! I guess the bright side is that Activision isn't pretending that underage children aren't their target audience.

Why not? Riki's a pretty good pick for new players, since you play against noobs too. I remember the first dozen times I played as Riki, I usually got more than 15 kills in every match. My Dotabuff profile says the highest number of kills I got was playing with Riki - 30 kills in 48 minutes. The upside to playing Riki when you're new in pub matches is his Ulti. Noobs don't use wards, so you can do whatever you want, you're free to experiment with new items and find out what does what.

If you ask me, though, the best Hero for new players is Drow. Two passive ( but extremely useful ) spells, and a Silence to boot. Spam Frost Arrows, a Silence here and there, and you're all set.

Two reasons.

First, I don't believe new players should start out on farm-dependent h ard carries. Riki is a fine hero, but he's nuanced and needs items to contribute. New players die a lot and are bad at last hitting, and will never get those items. He's also melee, and new players will have trouble farming before level 6.

Second, I don't like putting new players on stealth heroes, because they quickly develop a dependency and an inability to recognize its limitations. They will be unaccustomed to better players countering stealth, which is neither difficult nor expensive, and will develop bad habits as a result. There's also a tendency to use invisibility to "scout," when they should be farming.

I stick with the conventional wisdom that Lich is the best newbie hero. He's simple to play and doesn't need money to contribute to the team. Drow is a decent first ranged carry once you've learned the ropes, although I'm partial to Luna as an alternative.

Actually, Lifestealer could be a good new player hero. If you play against a team that doesn't ward off jungle camps (i.e every pub team ever) then get a new friend to pick lifestealer, tell him to right click all the animals in the jungle, and thirty-forty minutes in, just tell him what to buy and also to go and right click all the red guys. So long as he jungles close to you in the safe lane, he'll be fine.

Edit: also, tell him to press Q and when right clicking the red guys.

I got The Wolf Among Us yesterday. Really enjoyed it, the whole experience was just so slick. Really got me in the mood for the new Harry Dresden book which is coming out in December.

Same just finished the 1st episode - I think Telltale are firmly proving that they're not just going to be a one hit wonder The Walking Dead and are going to keep to that standard and not to the level of their previous similarly done games

Tangentially related to gaming (it is about consoles):

I've been having a lot of trouble recently watching Netflix on my 360. My internet connection is fine, and my 360 is fine when online for multiplayer or whatever, but when I try streaming Netflix I can only watch for a couple minutes before getting disconnected and being told that I need to buy Gold to use online services (which I obviously already have). This started a while back, I can't remember when, but then it would only happen one or two times a week; now its constantly. Any ideas on how to fix it?

I've got a video game morality issue right now.

I started up a second game of Skyrim, and despite telling myself I was going to play as a Stormcloak this time, I can't do it.

I think it is because I compare what I consider to be the two "main" cities for each faction, and realize just how much better the Imperial cities (Whiterun, Solitude) are versus the shitholes the Stormcloaks (Windhelm, Riften) control.

If I have to choose whether to defend or attack Whiterun, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'm going to sack it.

Anyone else run into things like this while gaming?

For learning DotA2 I found the best thing for me was just playing random heroes in AI games for a while. Got to try a good variety of heroes and found a few that I liked and moved into PVP with.

When you're ready for PVP single draft is awesome too. That's pretty much all I played for a good while. You get three heroes (one strength, one dexterity and one intelligence) to choose from so it forces you outside of your comfort zone a lot. I love that.

Zeus was my best hero by far when I was first learning. Axe, Juggernaut and Skeleton King are great also, tanky and easy to play (Skeleton King especially, he's perfect for new players IMO. I think it's better to learn to play melee first. Farming is easier as ranged and if you learn that first it becomes more difficult to adapt to melee farming I think.) For carries Drow or Viper would be where I would start. Riki can be great because of how pubstompy he is, but once you start playing against people who know what a gem and dust of appearance are you're pretty much screwed. He is a lot of fun though.

Phantom Assassin is probably my favorite hero overall. Haven't played DotA in a while though, I've been back on LoL lately.

I started up a second game of Skyrim, and despite telling myself I was going to play as a Stormcloak this time, I can't do it.

I think it is because I compare what I consider to be the two "main" cities for each faction, and realize just how much better the Imperial cities (Whiterun, Solitude) are versus the shitholes the Stormcloaks (Windhelm, Riften) control.

If I have to choose whether to defend or attack Whiterun, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'm going to sack it.

I pretty much never do "evil" playthroughs in games where that's an option. Even when I purposely start off saying "I'm gonna be an evil bastard." I end up feeling bad and becoming a good guy anyway :lol:. That's about the only moral dilemma I have in games.

Yeah, I'm not that interested in playing an evil character whose mostly just a sadist. The closest I came to that was in the KOTOR games when I went dark side. But, I think it's much more interesting to play someone generally decent but clearly flawed. That's how I tried to play my Commander Shepherd: someone trying to do right, but also someone for whom the ends almost always justified the means.

Yeah I made my commander shepherd 'ambiguous' by punching that reporter and trying to bang anything remotely female :lol:. .. let's just admit bioware doesn't handle the whole gray character thing well.

there are a few interesting military decisions you can make as well as resolving certain personal conflicts but the ME3 ending ends up making all that superfluous anyway.

So I just saw a Call of Duty trailer that featured a 10-year old freaking out about the game. Really? We're celebrating that 10-year olds are playing a mature-rated videogame? C'mon! I guess the bright side is that Activision isn't pretending that underage children aren't their target audience.

I don't like it one bit. I actually stopped playing CoD for this reason, among many actually. Actually, when I picked up GTA there was a mother who was buying it for her 9 year old. The store clerk, in the most polite way, was telling her that she shouldn't buy it because of its mature content. Of course, when her son starts acting out she'll blame GTA and not her shitty parenting. :dunno:

Without trying to give too much away, being a Stormcloak...

...will not affect Whiterun or Solitude post-victory. I actually thought they were the good guys (Nordic racism aside) fighting for independence and all that.

I do agree with you though, Whiterun is probably the most useful and easily navigated city in all of Skyrim.

As far as the whole "evil" thing in games, I tend to pick choices that I would actually pick myself. I would say 95% of those are usually the "moral" choice, sometimes what I think to be moral is actually the "evil" choice. On my second go, I usually pick the opposite choices in order to see what could have happened.

That article is a goldmine.

"Yes, lets take a game that basically founded a genre and then strip it of some of the most basic aspects of that genre. More importantly, we'll burn the world to ashes and replace it with cliche shit, which will win us no fans or new players, but will surely appeal to all the long-standing fans of the series! Then when when those fans get upset for no reason whatsoever, we'll get pissy and defensive!"

If there was any question before (and there shouldn't have been), there's no question now the people making this don't know anything about the Thief series.

It may end up a good game in it's own right, but it's not gonna be a Thief game. Which is kinda sad.

Yeah, I'm not that interested in playing an evil character whose mostly just a sadist. The closest I came to that was in the KOTOR games when I went dark side. But, I think it's much more interesting to play someone generally decent but clearly flawed. That's how I tried to play my Commander Shepherd: someone trying to do right, but also someone for whom the ends almost always justified the means.

ME mostly I think managed to walk the right line for it's renegade characters.

You could actually forge a real and nuanced "renegade" character in the ME series but the game was really confused by that and gave you some renegade, some paragon.

I'd say mostly because in the end, the ME series actually had 3 personalities you could chose from: renegade, paragon and xenophobic dickstain.

Archived