MMA & Boxing 14 - There's not a ditch in hell deep enough to toss Team Lloyd Irvin in

Horus Ex Machina

BJ got 150k for that, I kinda suspect that was his main motivation. I think the game plan was get Frankie into his guard (which is a very, very good guard) and try to take as little damage as possible and get his 150k.

Sadly, that seems about right.

BJ was already rich before he began his fight career, which is just one of the things his fans always loved about him - that you knew he wasn't doing it for the money because he had plenty already.

Yeah, he's just lost it. Rory McDonald was toying with him when they fought and that was tough to watch also.

That's for sure, that was no fun to watch for anybody except Rory's team, and possibly his mum (do Canadians have mums or moms?). The hope was that at 145 he'd finally be fighting guys his own size again and have trained hard enough that he had some cardio. He outwrestled Jon Fitch for a round and out-boxed Nick Diaz for a round, but in each fight he faded fast in the second. Rory was the first guy to really beat him up for 3 rounds but he's a huge guy, far bigger than Frankie.

Unfortunately the fire had gone out of BJ even before he stepped in the cage and little Frankie did what little Frankie does.

I can confirm that we in Canada have "moms". But maybe the yanks hear "mum"?

I know whenever we say "about" some defect in the American ear hears "abooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot" or some stupid shit.

I thought Penn's Diaz and McDonald fights simply showed that larger, rangy fighters with world glass gas tanks had Penn's number. The Edgar fight kind of suggested maybe there was more to it than that. If that is what we could look forward to I do hope the retirement sticks this time. Its been said to death, but Penn's got a solid legacy and truly nothing left to prove. Thanks for the wars BJ!

So Ali Bagautinov has tested positive for EPO. Banned for a year. It's interesting that they're actually starting to catch a lot of these people and we'll continue to see a lot more of it. I see a lot of fighters saying around 60% - 70% of the roster uses PEDs. I'd guess around 30% but I base that on nothing. I'm just nervous some of my favourite fighters might be using. So far they've only really caught people I either dislike or don't care about. Last year it was TRT, this year the big story is gonna be PEDs. BTW, my favourite fighters are Jon Jones, Rumble Johnson and Khabib Nurmagomedov.

If I had to guess if any of you're three favourites were hitting anything, my best guess would be Johnson. That is of course, simply a crude guess looking at the fighters' relative physiques and aint worth shit. Out of that crew, I'd hate for Johnson to get dinged for it the most.

I'm just sitting back and curiously waiting for more of this to transpire. It seems random testing is sending lots of fighters running for the hills (almost literally in Wanderlei's case). Seems this is a step that should have been implemented a long time ago imho.

But what is that based on besides Rumble being powerful and powerfully built?

That's essentially it. You don't look like that while doing a very cardio based sport without using PEDs. Simples. Basically for natural guys it is really hard to keep muscle/strength with low body fat levels and while doing a lot of cardio. When some of these UFC guys look bigger/better than the worlds best natural bodybuilders its kind of big sign that they are using.

That's essentially it. You don't look like that while doing a very cardio based sport without using PEDs. Simples. Basically for natural guys it is really hard to keep muscle/strength with low body fat levels and while doing a lot of cardio. When some of these UFC guys look bigger/better than the worlds best natural bodybuilders its kind of big sign that they are using.

There are guys who hit the genetic lottery and are just ripped. I knew a guy who never worked out but everyone assumed he was a college football player because of how he was built. I always wondered how big he would have gotten if he did work out. I'm guessing he would look like a roid head.

That was so cute of Chad. I don't know what to think of this Nova/Alpha smack talk. I guess it goes back to the picture Alpha Male posted of Renan Barao's name on the list of attendees for the Bang Muay Thai seminar. I'm usually all for this sort of shenanigans but the Nova guys were never loudmouths about their dominance and there's always been something fratty about Alpha Male.

Yeah the alpha male people piss me off, the recent thing between Aldo and Mendes which ended in the aforementioned picture and the classic quote "supplement deez nuts" started when Mendes called out the injury prone Aldo (who knocked Mendes out last time they fought) as being scared and running from him. Aldo is one of the best MMA fighters alive (2nd imo) he's not running from you Chad...

I also think Barao is gonna beat TJ in the rematch and get his belt back. BTW did we talk about the co-main for that event? Mighty Mouse vs Cariaso. wtf is that? Cariaso is ranked 8 and his last fight was a slit decision win over unranked Smolka. Should have given MM the winner of McCall and Pickett.

Yeah the alpha male people piss me off, the recent thing between Aldo and Mendes which ended in the aforementioned picture and the classic quote "supplement deez nuts" started when Mendes called out the injury prone Aldo (who knocked Mendes out last time they fought) as being scared and running from him. Aldo is one of the best MMA fighters alive (2nd imo) he's not running from you Chad...

I also think Barao is gonna beat TJ in the rematch and get his belt back. BTW did we talk about the co-main for that event? Mighty Mouse vs Cariaso. wtf is that? Cariaso is ranked 8 and his last fight was a slit decision win over unranked Smolka. Should have given MM the winner of McCall and Picket

What did you see in the fight that made you think that Barao is going to win? It wasn't a lucky shot or anything that put him away. It was a 4 round ass kicking.

I agree about the Alpha male fratty feel. I absolutely respect those guys' fighting abilities (you'd be stone stupid not to), but their image is irksome to me and just about everyone I've heard talk about them at my gym. Anybody ever see the footage of Faber flexing while on the phone into the one way glass with DW's camera man catching it? Lol.

Those guys are just way too image conscious, and refer to themselves as studs and shit like that. Just "Alpha Male" bullshit nobody outside of such a crew likes I suppose. Too bad pot smoking Dwayne left, because on top of quintupling all of their stand up abilities, he kind of militated that image a little bit.

I think the rematch might be too soon for Barao to make the necessary adjustments in his game to combat TJ. I've always seen Barao as kind of the more physically talented but less mentally disciplined version of Aldo, and I think he might find it hard to rein in the natural wildness TJ took advantage of (and Aldo criticised him for even before the loss to TJ).

What did you see in the fight that made you think that Barao is going to win? It wasn't a lucky shot or anything that put him away. It was a 4 round ass kicking.

I've heard from "inside sources" that Barao was sick for that fight. I've seen a lot of Barao fights and that guy is a bad motherfucker, one of the best fighters alive. I also think he never recovered from that massive shot he took in the first round which is why it looked so one sided. There's no question TJ looked awesome in that fight but I still think Barao at his best will beat TJ at his best. Gonna be close though.

I'm actually really excited for the rematch. Because I could be completely wrong, it's all speculation but I think it's gonna be an awesome fight. It's a shame the rest of the card sucks so much ass. Johnson vs Cariasco is gonna be as one sided as a Ronda fight.

Archived