LGBTQI Thread - An Ode to Bisexuals

karaddin

Autostraddle had a good piece on why the Intersex rights push is becoming allied with/part of the LGBT community that I feel also includes a stark picture of some of the awful shit that's done to intersex kids beyond just surgery.

That's just straight up child rape as far as I'm concerned, the Intersex community has faced staggering abuse from the medical community and it's still ongoing in many places. The campaign to ban surgery is still relatively knew here although I'm hoping will gain steam quickly. I absolutely agree that especially T and I are natural allies in this, and as I've said before I think ultimately the T will be regarded as a subset/another form of I.

I also posted a link the day before yesterday in the designer baby thread about termination rates for Klinefelter Syndrome (47,XXY) that from studies is between 50% and 88% in areas where it's looked for from an amniocentesis which I find really disappointing and upsetting given it's relatively minor impact (beyond increased risk of fertility, and if the only reason you are having a child is for them to have a grandchild, you probably shouldn't be having one at all).

I had to do a little soul searching to figure out my view of alphabet land. Obviously, I'm fine with "T" and because of the similarity in what may be needed, I fully support "I". Because of preference, I'm I'm good with "L" and "B". I'm ok with most in the "G" category, which leaves me only with some difficulty understanding "Q", if for no other reason than I have never really known anyone that considered themselves to be in that category. I don't know if that makes any sense, at all, or sounds really dumb.

From an ethical or moral perspective, I support all of them. I think there needs to be continued cooperation for everyone's good and I certainly don't want to see anyone thrown under the bus.

some difficulty understanding "Q", if for no other reason than I have never really known anyone that considered themselves to be in that category.

As I understand it, it can be easily summed up as "none of the above" / "it's complicated". Let me tell you, as someone who is in flux - or maybe Q as in Questioning, though I don't see that as an identity - it's enormously helpful to see, right there, something that I can be if I don't feel that 'man' or 'woman' or 'lesbian' or whatever-sexual describe me. It can include people whose sexuality isn't gender-based but based on something entirely different like submission/domination. I see it used often by people who are a little bit bi but very slanted towards one sex; or by people with romantic attraction to one sex and casual-sexual to the other; or just people who feel like labeling themselves would limit them psychologically, make them less able to be true to themselves.

I always saw the "Q" as a "we welcome everyone" kinda thing.

If you're not LGB or T but you aren't cis-straight either. I always took it as a "we dont judge you for your sexual preferences, sexual orientation, gender identity or fetishes, the way cis-straight society does".

And it's so puzzling to me...why is this such a hot button topic with them? Why not go after drinkers, fornicators, gamblers, overeaters, hot tempers, (what deadly sin am I leaving out? Pride?)etc. with as much zeal? I just don't get it. How does someone else's right to love and marry who they want impact me? It doesn't. I seriously don't get it.

I used to be very religious, so I'll try to explain it as I understood it and others I know.

God created man and woman as complements to each other. With marriage they become one through him. A binding of soul & flesh....which is why it's frowned upon to divorce & remarry. Same sex....sex is seen as an abomination or fouling of creation and a mockery of the institution of marriage that was created by God(in their eyes). No it doesn't really make sense and it's just one of the many reasons that I started on my path to becoming an atheist.

Another reason, that does make sense, is that many christians see homosexual sex as a sin. Not more or less than other sins. Their problem is that nobody is trying to say that stealing is ok or that drunk driving is ok, but people are trying to tell them that homosexuality is ok and should be accepted by them. They see it as taking a well-known sin and declaring that the sin is no longer bad and that they must accept it, which "tests their faith". Same sex marriage or homosexual sex may not directly affect them(debateable in their eyes) but they don't think that society should condone something that they see as morally wrong.

Think of how much better the world would be without the books of Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Exodus.

There would still be Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, and Quran 7:80-81, 26:165-166, 27:54-55, 29:28-29.

If you want to imagine a world without religious persecution of homosexuality, you must imagine a world without the Abrahamic faiths.

The old Greco-Roman gods didn't have a problem with LGBTQI- hell ol' Jove himself was bisexual.

There would still be Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, and Quran 7:80-81, 26:165-166, 27:54-55, 29:28-29.

If you want to imagine a world without religious persecution of homosexuality, you must imagine a world without the Abrahamic faiths.

The old Greco-Roman gods didn't have a problem with LGBTQI- hell ol' Jove himself was bisexual.

Depeneds on your definitions. The roman and greek gods expected you to procreate (so your descendants could keep peforming those tasty sacrifices) they were basically fine with you fucking whatever, but they want kids, yo. Pronto.

And if you don't have kids to do the right rituals you get an even worse afterlife. So they weren't that cool with being exclusively gay.

So apparently Michelle Rodriguez came out as bisexual in an EW interview last week, I hadn't heard! Autostraddle have a good article on this, on her and why her feeling she can come out is a positive sign.

There's so much to criticize and side-eye in that post that it's hard to know where to begin — but also, I don't want to, because underneath all that transparently defensive aggression is a girl from a strict religious background who sounds, quite frankly, petrified of losing her job, basically. Her foothold in Hollywood wasn't entirely secure yet, she's not known for making friends in the industry and as a Latina woman who refuses to take roles she sees as disempowering for women, her continued employment probably didn't seem like a sure thing. That was 2007, a year which came on the tail end of Rodriguez's law-breaking period, during which she'd been arrested for assault (charges were eventually dropped) and for multiple driving violations including driving under the influence, a hit-and-run, speeding, and driving with a suspended license. She spent brief periods of time in jail and a lot of time on probation and community service. By the time the Curve story debuted, Rodriguez had a reputation in Hollywood for being unreliable.

I know she had some difficulties while appearing in the series, Lost, but managed to go on with such films as Avatar. I've never understood why the public has nothing better to do than speculate on the sexual preferences of celebrities.

I will say I approve of her choosing roles that portray empowerment. I really enjoy her acting.

Just saw this response from Bertolli to the homophobic remarks by rival pasta company Barilla. Nice!

(I'm not sure they even sell Barilla over here, but I may make a point of buying Bertolli now anyway)

I have always bought Barilla pasta. :( That changes now. Thank you for posting this, I think Bertolli is on the menu tonight!

How about the Norse Gods? Loki got nailed by the stallion Svaðilfari and gave birth to the eight-legged horse Sleipnir. I wonder if they'll show that in the next Avengers movie.

Odin also mentions Loki travelling the Earth as a woman and bearing children. Loki is not exactly the villian of Norse mythology as he often helps the gods, but he is unpredictable and not exactly trustworthy. There's probably a book in there somewhere, Loki - LGBT anti-hero of the Norse Pantheon. (Though, the stallion thing - LGBTZ? nobody wants that)

I'm interested on hearing opinions about the positives and negatives of this.

Huh, interesting. From the article, it looks like this is something that was actively sought by the people it affected, which is a positive sign - I guess they just have a different approach to trans* rights in India, as well as the specific local issues mentioned like frequently-botched surgeries that complicate matters. Having the "Other" box is a positive move in general I reckon, just because it allows for intersex and undecided; my only caveat would be to ensure that trans* people wouldn't feel pressured to use that box instead of their real gender, but it's hard to judge how much of an issue this is in Bangalore or other cultures where the background of gender designation is obviously really different.

Huh, interesting. From the article, it looks like this is something that was actively sought by the people it affected, which is a positive sign - I guess they just have a different approach to trans* rights in India, as well as the specific local issues mentioned like frequently-botched surgeries that complicate matters. Having the "Other" box is a positive move in general I reckon, just because it allows for intersex and undecided; my only caveat would be to ensure that trans* people wouldn't feel pressured to use that box instead of their real gender, but it's hard to judge how much of an issue this is in Bangalore or other cultures where the background of gender designation is obviously really different.

Rather than type it all over again, my reservations are outlined here. I have the same concern anywhere, the, "other", designation is being considered. My drivers license says, "female", and that is how I believe it should be. And I don't theink any government will consider a two tier system.

ETA:

I have always bought Barilla pasta. :( That changes now. Thank you for posting this, I think Bertolli is on the menu tonight!

If you vote on the issue, you will find out, that more than 60% of those voting, won't stop buying Barilla pasta because of it.

How about the Norse Gods? Loki got nailed by the stallion Svaðilfari and gave birth to the eight-legged horse Sleipnir. I wonder if they'll show that in the next Avengers movie.

Odin also mentions Loki travelling the Earth as a woman and bearing children. Loki is not exactly the villian of Norse mythology as he often helps the gods, but he is unpredictable and not exactly trustworthy. There's probably a book in there somewhere, Loki - LGBT anti-hero of the Norse Pantheon. (Though, the stallion thing - LGBTZ? nobody wants that)

Well, OTOH Loki accuses Odin of crossdressing and sucking cock and it seems obviously to be meant as demeaning. (like most other cultures the old vikings seemed to have little problem with homosexuality as long as it was the right kind, IE: As long as you were the fucker rather than the fuckee so to speak, silly patriarchy)

Well, OTOH Loki accuses Odin of crossdressing and sucking cock and it seems obviously to be meant as demeaning. (like most other cultures the old vikings seemed to have little problem with homosexuality as long as it was the right kind, IE: As long as you were the fucker rather than the fuckee so to speak, silly patriarchy)

Yeah, the Norse pantheon is over-all pretty macho - but these accusations of non-normative sexual behavior don't reach the level of total condemnation/damnation. Loki is eventually sentenced for the murder of Baldr, not his sexual/gender-shifting proclivities.

Archived