Jaime Lannister claims 3 men could beat him...which three?

evers1295

Got it:

Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. (...)It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaimie could beat them all [apparently this relates only to the living].

Which had nothing to with his sword prowess.

-Holding his own against the Smiling Knight when he was very young and before he was even a knight. Oh, and the Smiling Knight went toe to toe with Arthur Dayne.

-Defeating the Riverlands armies soundly

-Cutting down several Northmen before finally being overwhelmed.

-Going toe to toe with Brienne, despite being chained and fatigued. And she's a great fighter herself.

Yeah, he's definitely overrated.

Got it:

Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. (...)It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaimie could beat them all [apparently this relates only to the living].

yup this is the list

-Holding his own against the Smiling Knight when he was very young and before he was even a knight. Oh, and the Smiling Knight went toe to toe with Arthur Dayne. (and would've been dead if Dayne did not take over)

-Defeating the Riverlands armies soundly (going against Edmure and his hastily assembled force with superior numbers, later routed by 15 years old)

-Cutting down several Northmen before finally being overwhelme. (now we are getting onto something - a bunch of northern greenboys)

-Going toe to toe with Brienne, despite being chained and fatigued. And she's a great fighter herself. (well, I guess he is at least solid in the end)

Yeah, he's definitely overrated. (Yep)

I mean, about every other guy in the series has a better fighting resume than Jaime Lannister.

Jason Mallister has a better resume, Jorah Mormont has a better resume... I am not even talking about the likes of prime Robert, Dayne or Selmy.

He is obviously a great fighter, but his dangerous reputation seems to stem from him being the Kingslayer. He did not fight in Robert's Rebellion. He seemingly did not fight in the Greyjoy Rebellion (although he may simply not be mentioned, but that's 50/50 in my opinion) so I have no idea from where else would his reputation come from. He really did not even come across a chance to do something worthy of a knight of his reputation. His White Book record looks like a joke compared to Barristan.

He is not in the league of Dayne or Selmy or prime Bobby.

How about everyone in the series, knowing how good/dangerous he is?

Surely, that counts for more than you thinking he's overrated.

What everyone thinks and knows may be different from what is the reality. People think that Ned killed Arthur Dayne in a single combat, but we know that probably isn't the way it happened.

Jaime doesn't just go toe to toe with Brienne. She is amazed how fast he is and notes how he is this fast in fetters. Jaime also always seems to be one of the top fighters at tournaments consistently, both in present day and in past ones when they are mentioned.

There's a Jaime memory where he mentions first seeing Barristan and being in awe of him. He said it was like seeing a painter at work or some such.

I mean, about every other guy in the series has a better fighting resume than Jaime Lannister.

Jason Mallister has a better resume, Jorah Mormont has a better resume... I am not even talking about the likes of prime Robert, Dayne or Selmy.

He is obviously a great fighter, but his dangerous reputation seems to stem from him being the Kingslayer. He did not fight in Robert's Rebellion. He seemingly did not fight in the Greyjoy Rebellion (although he may simply not be mentioned, but that's 50/50 in my opinion) so I have no idea from where else would his reputation come from. He really did not even come across a chance to do something worthy of a knight of his reputation. His White Book record looks like a joke compared to Barristan.

He is not in the league of Dayne or Selmy or prime Bobby.

What everyone thinks and knows may be different from what is the reality. People think that Ned killed Arthur Dayne in a single combat, but we know that probably isn't the way it happened.

At this point it is all speculation. We never got a good look at Jaime's fighting before he was de-handed. What we do know is that Barristan said that Tumco Lho was the best natural warrior he'd seen since Jaime Lannister. That shows that when someone like Barristan, who despises Jaime, still recognizes his warrior prowess, means Jaime is pretty damn good.

We also know that a Jaime that had just spent almost a year in a dungeon, and who had his hands restricted, was able to go toe to toe with Brienne, and could have possibly overpowered her. That is a major accomplishment, and it can't be devalued.

We can't say for sure that Jaime would lose to Arthur Dayne, Barristan or Bob. As Barristan himself says, the meal someone eats before a battle or a slippery patch of grass could decide it all. But I do think that Jaime is in their league, no question. He lacks the benefit of a magic sword though (which was the only thing that separated Barristan from Dayne, according to George).

People really hate Jaime don't they? Ha!

Just because you dislike a character, doesn't mean you should discount their prowess. I think Selmy is a hypocrite and a fool, but he is still a damn good warrior!

Jaime is skilled, very skilled. The three I'd say would be the Clegane Brothers. The third is really unknown as I personally reckon that Jaime would beat Selmy at his age. There are a few notable swordsman in the realm that he may think would beat him.

Well, there is a difference between the amount of people Jaime thinks that could beat him and the people who would really beat his overrated ass. He is all talks and absolutely zero acomplishments.

What're you talking about. He does excidingly well in tourneys and showed himself to be a great sword figher in both the whispering woods and his attempted escape from riverruun. Both were faliures but he killed a shit load of people in both cases.

didnt ser barristan selmy say in adwd that jaime was best natural swords man he ever seen, if a quote from that man says it all i dunno any way u can get fighting respect. and just to mention it jaime losing to brienne he spent a year in captivity hardly moved and fed at all, i say theres maybe three guys u could manage to defeat him when i was at full strenght and brienne was lucky thats all..... btw tv version loras is a cross between garlan and loras so he aint that great.

I doubt anyone could definitively say they could defeat the Kingslayer in single combat. I think there are many that could, but none could overmatch him pre-de-handing. I'm sure Jaime had sparred with Barristan and both Cleganes many a time and given his arrogance and reputation, I cannot believe any one of them throttled him like Ser Illyn.

Got it:

Well despite this quote. You still have to understand two things about it.

1. Its from Jaime's POV and its only his opinion that he can beat them all.

2. Even besides that, it says he can beat them all. Not that he was a superior warrior whom none stood a chance against.

Jaime could beat Arthur Dayne, yes. But more often than not Arthur takes the win. Jaime could take the Mountain. But you have to be crazy to think Jaime beats him 10/10 times.

Archived