Jaime Lannister claims 3 men could beat him...which three?

evers1295

Got it:

Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. (...)It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaimie could beat them all [apparently this relates only to the living].

Also didn't Jaime claim that only 3 men were stronger than him? That doesn't mean that 3 men could beat him just in terms of physical strength which doesnt take into account speed and skill. If anyone has the quote it would be helpful.

Next time read the whole thread before whingeing :cool4: ?

Loras? Are you serious? LOL

I don't see Jaime thinking about the Mountain. I mean... If it was at least Sandor...

I can see he admitting a possible defeat to Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy. Specially because the first is dead and the other old and gone.

I think the line in the show was possibly referring to characters that we've already met with the possible exception of the Red Viper. My guess is that Jaime was reffering to Barristan (old but clearly still feared as his forced retirement scene suggests.), Gregor Clegane(perhaps not as technically skilled as Jaime but does well in tournaments and is a complete monster.), and Oberyn Martell (We have yet to meet him onscreen, but those who have read the books know what he is capable of).

As for Jaime's thoughts in his POV chapter in ASOS, I think he was comparing himself to other fighters whom he specifically regards as having superior strength. Brienne is very muscular and Jaime notes that she could overpower him with brute force. Jaime makes a comparison to other fighters like GreatJon who are larger, more physically powerful but not as skilled as he was in his own opinion. Jaime has a hard time coping with the idea that Brienne is a challenging opponent for a guy like him. While he may not have won every battle, or every tourney he participated in, it is clear from his history and his reputation that he was an amazingly talented fighter in his prime. Dayne knighted Jaime himself if I recall, surely this was in honour of the courage and skill he'd shown on the battlefield. It would have been the greatest honour to be knighted by the Sword of the Morning himself.

Gregor could beat Jaime, since Gregor is 8 foot tall and wields greatswords with one hand, giving a huge reach advantage. In addition Gregor is pretty fast, accurate (Gregor's lance goes where he wants it to go), and even when mortally wounded by Oberyn, Gregor crushed him with his hands.

The halfhand against him would have been a good fight, but I doubt Jaime has ever heard of him. If we exclude the red viper for not being a swordsman and victorian for being an axe then it would have to be Barristan, Garlan and someone like the hound I guess.

People forget there are certain freeriders and men at arms who prove to be outstanding fighters, such as Lothor Brune, Phillip Foote, Polliver etc.

Gregor could beat Jaime, since Gregor is 8 foot tall and wields greatswords with one hand, giving a huge reach advantage. In addition Gregor is pretty fast, accurate (Gregor's lance goes where he wants it to go), and even when mortally wounded by Oberyn, Gregor crushed him with his hands.

Gregor is described as being slow. Sandor is the large but fast Clegane. Gregor is good at killing, the lance thing was precision/steadiness not speed.

• 1 year later...

Archived