NHL 2013-14 - Yes, there's a thread for that

Jabronius Maximus

Ryan may not score as much as you'd like, but he definitely does SOMETHING interesting every tilt. He reminds me of a young Owen Nolan. "Yeah I can score motherfucker, but right now I'll take 5 to punch you in the face." I was sad to see him go.

Link please?

I once went on vacation in Minnesota and sat in a hot tub drinking beer with a Wild D-man. (I forgot his name.) The girls were all over him. Bastard.

Don't worry. That will never happen. 6 assists? Sure. 4 goals, no fucking way.

Phenomenal player. But a total pussy when it comes to shooting.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9752853/nhl-preview-2013-14

I thought I was the only person insane enough to go to Minnesota for a vacation.

Well looks like the Preds did get thrashed. Thing about the Leafs is they always seem to get out shot, yet find a way to win. I don't know if they can hold that up, but they look damn good and I don't have much hope for the Oilers on Saturday.

The Leafs are going to make my head explode. As someone who respects statistics and science and logic and all that good stuff, it's frustrating to see this team be bad and lucky and the troglodytes who run it get to continue to be cocky and make terrible decisions. On the other hand, as a fan of the team, I really don't want the winning to stop.

Yeah the Devils didn't look all that good today either, this will be a tough year. I hope the management is sound enough to keep DeBoer; he is an excellent coach who doesn't have much talent to work with.

And my backup team, the (Mighty) Ducks are looking quite good to start the year, especially after they got throttled in the opener. Looks like last year wasn't a fluke.

Yeah the Devils didn't look all that good today either, this will be a tough year. I hope the management is sound enough to keep DeBoer; he is an excellent coach who doesn't have much talent to work with.

Amen to that. It's actually funny that with out any wins, we're doing better than the Rangers. Silver linings man...silver linings.

I wouldn't count on DeBoer keeping his job much longer. Lou is not a patient man. I personally hope I'm wrong, because I really do like Pete DeBoer, and like you said, they just don't have a great team this year. When 2 out of your top 3 goal scorers are 37(Elias) & 41(Jagr), its not good.

I wouldn't count on DeBoer keeping his job much longer. Lou is not a patient man. I personally hope I'm wrong, because I really do like Pete DeBoer, and like you said, they just don't have a great team this year. When 2 out of your top 3 goal scorers are 37(Elias) & 41(Jagr), its not good.

You know what, I remember one year when Claude Julien was doing quite well, only to be fired midway through the season, and replaced by Lemaire. Now that was weird, and if Lou can fire him then out of the blue, things aren't looking good for DeBoer.

As for silver linings, there aren't any for my Oilers, especially since the Flames (who are in year 1 of a rebuild) haven't yet lost in regulation.

You know what, I remember one year when Claude Julien was doing quite well, only to be fired midway through the season, and replaced by Lemaire. Now that was weird, and if Lou can fire him then out of the blue, things aren't looking good for DeBoer.

I actually think it was right at the end of the season. But yeah that one shocked me the most. I don't know if any other team goes thru coaches as much as the Devils. I don't think Jacque Lemaire is an option anymore either. I wouldn't mind seeing Scott Stevens get a shot, but he would probably have to start in the AHL, like they did with John Maclean. Although that didn't work out very well.

Two goals were on the power play and one was an empty netter. Also, JVR was scratched today, has an "undisclosed injury". See my post above - this is a completely unsustainable, and it's probably going to come crashing down, and it's inspiring all of the anti-stat troglodytes in the fan base, but man I hope it keeps up.

ETA: Meanwhile, San Jose is just pantsing the Blues, which is pretty damned impressive. Crazy start to the season.

My Sharks and the Blues are trying to remain undefeated.

About five minutes in, Maxim Lapierre tried to murder Danny Boyle (and almost succeeded.) Boyle left on a stretcher.

The Sharks responded as one would expect: Two fights four ejections and a Blues PP for an added on instigator penalty.

Then the Sharks responded as one would want: ripping off 4 straight goals. (Good to have Scott Hannan back by the way as I know him personally, he's a great guy, a pretty good player, and oh yeah, just scored the 4th goal.)

Brad Stuart comes back from suspension next game so hopefully the loss of Boyle won't be to damaging.

It's waaaaaay early, but it looks like San Jose might be the class of the league right now. Which by the way looks really weird to me with these new divisions. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'll miss the Dallas rivalry a bit. Oh well, at least we still have goddamned Ducks.

These new Stars sweaters also look weird as hell to me.

Brian Engblom made one of the strangest compliments to the sharks PK that I've heard in a while. "It's like trying to shoot a puck through a clothesline of laundry. You can get it past the towels but not the sheets."

On to the 3rd period!

ETA: Oh yeah, the Blues get nothing motherfuckers! Current score is 4-0.

Edit2: They just announced that Boyle is responsive and able to move all of his extremities, so thank heavens for that.

That is an amazing line from Engblom. I feel like all hockey sideline reporters are required to pull an all-nighter and then shotgun a 4-pack of Red Bull before every game. Nothing they say makes sense in any conventional way.

And yeah, fuck Maxim Lapierre.

ETA: Oh, and Bones, in case you're trying to keep track, I'll be moving to Raleigh, NC in a month :-P

ETA2: Lapierre, not Laperriere. Also, glad to hear Boyle is moving.

ETA3: Who the hell is Darcy Kuemper?

HA HA Meet Joe Thornton.

5-0

Edit: I think the final was 6-2 or something. IDK, my roommate of 2 days came home and it was more important to bro down with him as it was to pay attention to the last minute futile attempt from St. Louis for a comeback. But I'm not wussing out on acknowledging the fact that the Blues spoiled the clean sheet and were playing very well (as expected, but after it was too late.)

(England defeated Poland two-nil, if anyone gives a crap in this thread. Oh yeah, my new roomie is British.)

It's a shame the Sharks don't get to play the Avs until Christmas. No fucking way they'll both still be undefeated by then. (Man, that would be crazier than Patrick Roy though.)

Really fun tilt between the Hawks and Canes. Carolina is clearly out matched but refusing to go away. 2-1 Chicago.

Have fun out there, Blu-Ray!

Edit: And the Canes tie it up with 6 minutes to go!

Edit2: As we head to OT, I feel I should mention that I literally cannot tell you how many times the play-by-play man has shouted "And CAM WARD SAYS NO!!!"

And believe me, it's not like the Hawks don't look like the defending champs.

If they go to a SO this could be huge.

Edit2: 12 seconds in and another "WARD SAYS NO!!!"

Edit3: It's not like Crawford has had a bad game either. A few less saves, and most of them not that impressive, but he was absolutely the hero during this OT 4 on 3.

Edit4: And the Hawks win as Sharp is the only guy to score during the shootout.

The Atlantic division definitely can't sleep on the Canes.

Edit5: From the post game show, it sounds like Danny Boyle will likely make a full recovery (at some point). And that Lapierre might be completely fucked.

Also, HELLO! IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE? What, do you guys have jobs or something?

Hector, our three most prolific posters in the past (aside from me) were I believe TheHoundRules who literally lost his team (Atlanta), Brandon Stark who became a cop or something and mostly disappeared, and Blu-Ray (nee DVDROTS) who can't seem to live in the same place for more than six minutes.

There are kairbear and a few others, but this thread clearly needs a few lines of coke or something. The lockout sure didn't help.

Archived