NHL 2013-14 - Yes, there's a thread for that

Jabronius Maximus

The Oilers have signed Bryzgalov, but he's currently in the AHL on what is called a conditioning assignment... Dubnyk and LaBarbera seems to be playing without any confidence (like Markström in Florida, before he was sent to the AHL), so I agree - their problems aren't primarily about offensive play.

The Devils have been getting better at supporting Schneider and Brodeur.

The Sabres just fired Ron Rolston (and GM Regier), bringing in Ted Nolan as coach.

Nolan seemed really solid during his first stint - I was always surprised he hadn't found traction after that.

I think it's because he's an old-school type coach, not into all the stats and Xs and Os like most coaches are today. But he did always get a lot out of his players, so we'll see how he handles the daunting task at hand in Buffalo.

As for the Oilers, just about everything has gone wrong this year. If the offense shows up, goaltending and defense let the team down, and vice-versa. In precious years usually the injuries would just pile up, forcing the team into a lottery situation. This year they are healthy and just plain awful. I don't think they'll be this bad all year, but it's not looking good. And Bryzgalov can't do much if the defense throws him to the bears.

And Yakupov is the talk of the town the last couple days. His 'selfish' comments are a perfect way for everyone to forget all of the problems the Oilers have and zero in on him. This is a precarious situation, and given that Kevin Lowe is Matt Millen's clone, he's bound to bungle this situation (as he has done so often during his entire tenure as GM and president of the oilers). Fuck Kevin Lowe. Actually Matt Millen was a really good player, not some guy who rode the coattails of 2 all time greats to 5 rings, and who uses said rings to stroke his massive ego and justify why he's the right man for the job. Once again, fuck Kevin Lowe.

1 goal in the last 4 home games for the Oilers...this has to be a drought of historic proportions.

They are playing flat and uninspiring hockey, and are reaching the crossroads where they'll either rise, or continue to wallow in mediocrity for a long time. And I have a strong feeling it will be the latter.

Well, the Oilers will have to significantly improve in order to be considered 'mediocre' (I'm an Oilers fan, btw).

Well, the Oilers will have to significantly improve in order to be considered 'mediocre' (I'm an Oilers fan, btw).

Haha that's definitely the prevailing opinion among Oilers fans. What's scary is they might be worse moving forward, because they've only played a few divisional games so far. And the pacific division is arguably the strongest in the league...

But really, they're pretty close. A new president, 5 defensemen, a goalie and some grit, and then watch out.

Apparently Lowe is willing to deal the team's upcoming 1st in order to improve now. Not sure I see that as a wise decision.

I understand wanting to stop the bleeding, but that pick may very well be worth a lot more in the off season than it is right now. And if guys like Christian Ehrhoff and Brian Campbell (really?) are the best options – as per this article – then it would seem doubly foolish to make such a move.

In Wild related news, I was pretty happy to get the victory, even if by SO, over the Leafs after Kadri, etc. tried gooning it up. Hearing 3 games for him, which seems about right based on this Kerry Fraser article I read earlier.

Well technically Mactavish is the GM doing the dealing, but of course we know Lowe has always been the real GM of the team.

Honestly I wouldn't mind guys like Campbell or Ehrhoff at this point, because they'd handle the tough minutes and help in 'sheltering' the younger d-men for now. Problem is to get some credible veteran (or more proven) help, they will have to part with a core young player. Tough decisions lie ahead...

I've always preferred to use Lowe for shorthand. Less typing than MacTavish or Tambellini. :)

The problem is that Campbell is 34 and Ehrhoff is 31. The Oilers aren't close right now because the front office hasn't surrounded any of the top end talent with decent-good NHLers. There's no way that the solution is to give up a highly valuable asset in exchange for a band-aid.

I'm almost starting to feel bad for you guys.

Yeah there's a catch-22...if the young core doesn't get that support, they probably won't develop into winners, yet that you might have to give up some of the core to get that support. The solution would seem to be to get a young-ish (25-30 year old) impact player, who will help now and be a part of the future. Such help will cost an arm and a leg, but if I were the Oilers I'd take a serious look at it - say, for example getting Simmonds and Coburn from Philly for Eberle or Yakupov, plus picks.

And oh my Seguin and Jamie Benn just tore apart the flames, combining for 11 points. That is a terrifying duo.

The Jets 1.0 had a similar problem way back. We had Teemu Selanne, Keith Tkachuck, Alexei Zhamnov and Nickolai Khabibulin, all generally young and the same general age, and all me namely talented in their respective positions. The problem was that, not unlike today's Oilers, there was a question of depth and overall team toughness. So what did the Jets do? Well first they traded their most talented player in Selanne for players who filled in some holed, but that did little with regards to making the team better in the short term, as who we got in return (remember names like Chad Kilger and Oleg Tevrrdosky? Me neither.) did not have the impact as hoped.

I would be very weary of the Oilers trying the same move if I were a fan. But I'm not so I don't really care. They need to cultivate a culture of accountability, first off, and to get the team to buy into it. I don't think specific personnel is the issue, but I have only seen them play twice this year and I don't pay much attention to then otherwise, so take from that what you will.

I remember Tverdovsky, the 2nd overall pick in 1994. Kilger was a pretty high pick around that time too, iirc. It wasn't especially easy to follow hockey back in those days for me. Being an American with no internet and all. And the mid-to-late 90s are also the time when I started getting more into basketball. But it doesn't seem like either of those guys really panned out. Actually, there were some really awful drafts in the 90s. But it seems like they've become more reliable lately.

I remember Tverdovsky, the 2nd overall pick in 1994. Kilger was a pretty high pick around that time too, iirc.

Well yeah they were picked pretty high. Kilger even had somewhat of a promising start to his career, as he was on the same line as Paul Kariya. But then again, anybody would have a good start to their career if they started off on a line with a quality player like Kariya. Tverdovsky was supposed to be super amazing or something, but he was weak on the puck, among other faults. We got so burned on that trade, it still pisses me off.

The thing that really baffles me about the Oilers is that they have such a hard time scoring. That's one area that they should have absolutely no problem in!

If you're frustrated about last night, it's possible that the Sharks have an incredible back-up goal tender. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm sure he'll sign with another team and fuck us over at some point. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

The thing that really baffles me about the Oilers is that they have such a hard time scoring. That's one area that they should have absolutely no problem in!

This, among many other things, demonstrates just how snakebit/offensively challenged the oilers are:

http://i.imgur.com/85WpRht.gif

Not exactly vintage Smytty on that one...

It's not *that* surprising - with Elias missing time, they don't really have a ton of offensive dynamos, and Jagr is a beast.

ETA: Whoops, thought I was linking this piece: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/06/jaromir-jagr-demands-dedication-in-the-gym.html

It's not *that* surprising - with Elias missing time, they don't really have a ton of offensive dynamos, and Jagr is a beast

ETA: Whoops, thought I was linking this piece: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/06/jaromir-jagr-demands-dedication-in-the-gym.html

I really just want to see more out of some of the younger guys, specifically, Zajac, Tedenby, Josefson, and Larsson. Henrique is really the only young player that's impressed me the last few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow will be a sad day for the NHL in Canada...according to Bob McKenzie, the league will announce a long term, multi-billion dollar deal with CBC and Sportsnet for hockey broadcasting rights in Canada*. This means the always wonderful TSN will be left out, leaving the airheads at CBC and Sportsnet to discuss hockey. It's rumored that the two networks conspired to outbid TSN and therefore take them out. Slimy bastards!

Gonna be sad to see TSN go, as they provided by far the best hockey coverage since I started watching.

*I believe the Jets still have an agreement with TSN that expires in 2021, which probably will be excluded from this broadcast deal.

Archived