NHL 2013-14 - Yes, there's a thread for that

Jabronius Maximus

What network does Hockey Night in Canada? We get it in the states on NHL Network, I like watching Don Cherry on Saturday nights.

That would be CBC, and yeah Don Cherry is a real piece of work haha. Love how Ron Maclean cringes when Cherry says something ridiculous. Case in point:

http://t.co/iRZJPpuLci

As for TSN, they cover the draft, junior hockey, basically anything and everything about hockey. And they do a bang-up job of it. Sucks to see this cheap anti-competitive move. Lately in Canada, it seems competition is a foreign concept.

I just read about this. So much Nick Kypreos. Just awful. It has been a while since I watched a Sportsnet broadcast but I remember them being awful. I wonder if this will hurt, even in a small way, their cable subscriptions. Their = Rogers

I hope TSN actively pursues the CHL leagues, all the other U-x tournies, women's hockey, university hockey etc. So much opportunity to show how hockey grows up across the nation.

I just read about this. So much Nick Kypreos. Just awful. It has been a while since I watched a Sportsnet broadcast but I remember them being awful. I wonder if this will hurt, even in a small way, their cable subscriptions. Their = Rogers

I hope TSN actively pursues the CHL leagues, all the other U-x tournies, women's hockey, university hockey etc. So much opportunity to show how hockey grows up across the nation.

From Twitter - 'any deal that brings Kypreos into the living rooms of more Canadian families is a national tragedy.' Couldn't agree more!

Also it looks like Rogers will get 'creative and editorial control over the HNIC broadcast, including personnel'. No more Cherry and MacLean? Even more Kypreos? Oh no...

The CBC got hosed in this deal. They generate no revenue for broadcasting games, have no creative control and are only involved for another four years. This obviously is an attempt to keep the HNIC brand alive by allowing for a transition period between networks. Once the four years are up, and Rogers does whatever they plan on doing Saturday nights, CBC will be out the door. And good riddance, because their on-air talent was lacking. Now I don't know about Sportsnet's talent nowadays because I don't have the channel, but if they still have idiots like Mike Toth, it's not looking good.

These days I only watch Jets games, and our regional broadcast deal with TSN is still going strong, so I'm not even sure if I will even get Sportsnet next year. The nationally broadcast games will be on SN, but they play so few Jets games nationally anyway I don't think it will matter.

I wonder if that's the CBC's revenge for TSN swooping in and stealing the HNIC theme song a few years ago?

Ah I was misinformed. Cbc did not make a bid, it was only Rogers who made it. There will still be HNIC on CBC, but Rogers will have creative and personnel control of it.

I still havent forgiven CBC for even allowing the sale of that song. That tune was priceless, yet somehow the suits at CBC saw fit to sell it, allowing TSN to do unspeakable things to it. It's almost unrecognizable now...

Edit: Demonblade, there is no on-air talent on Sportsnet. Nick Kypreos, Millard and a bunch of other arrogant pricks man the desks there. Honestly it's worse than CBC. I hope there's some mass migration where the TSN talent heads over to Sportsnet and ousts the incumbents. I wouldn't mind that so much.

Besides, whether we like it or not this will become the norm eventually and we will be ok with all this. It's just concerning because Rogers is a terrible organization who often has no idea what it's doing.

I still havent forgiven CBC for even allowing the sale of that song. That tune was priceless, yet somehow the suits at CBC saw fit to sell it, allowing TSN to do unspeakable things to it. It's almost unrecognizable now...

IIRC, CBC didn't sell the tune. They held the rights to it for a certain number of years and then had to renegotiate with the owner/creator to extend the deal. During those negotiations TSN came in and offered the owner/creator a shit-ton of money, which CBC refused to match or beat.

I totally agree that losing the HNIC song to TSN sucked big time, but if the CBC had matched or beat the obscene amount of money that TSN had put on the table, it probably would have been crucified (being a taxpayer-funded public broadcaster). It was a case of "damned if you don't and damned if you do."

Ah yes totally forgot the taxpayer angle for CBC. That is a pretty big stumbling block to any type of negotiations they are involved in. Being a taxpayer myself, I certainly wouldn't mind if some of that money went to keeping that song, but of course I'm part of a very small minority.

Edit: iirc, the deal for that song expires either next year or the year after, so I could definitely see it returning to hnic (especially because rogers can easily afford to buy the rights).

IIRC, CBC didn't sell the tune. They held the rights to it for a certain number of years and then had to renegotiate with the owner/creator to extend the deal. During those negotiations TSN came in and offered the owner/creator a shit-ton of money, which CBC refused to match or beat.

I totally agree that losing the HNIC song to TSN sucked big time, but if the CBC had matched or beat the obscene amount of money that TSN had put on the table, it probably would have been crucified (being a taxpayer-funded public broadcaster). It was a case of "damned if you don't and damned if you do."

Rogers did the same thing in buying the rights to the Canadian NHL teams. I think they vastly overpaid and broadcast content and quality will suffer in the years to come. Remember, this is Rogers. Never known for customer service.

The Seguin trade will probably go down as one of the dumbest moves in recent history. Still have no idea why Boston gave up on him. He had attitude problems? He's a talented 21 year old, and you just can't give up on guys like that. Right now he has more goals than Eriksson has points :dunno:

Edit: speaking of thr Bruins, Shawn Thornton just pulled a Todd Bertuzzi on the ice. Came up behind Orpik, threw him down and punched him. Orpik went off on a stretcher, as it looked like his head hit the ice pretty hard. Big Bert got a full year suspension and a civil suit for something similar, so things aren't looking good for Thornton.

And James Neal kneed Marchand in the head, so there should definitely be some kind of discipline there. But Thornton should get a hefty suspension for his antics. Not like that'll affect the Bruins in any way, but the league has to send a message.

Just an all around ugly game between the Pens and Bruins. Dirty hits are flying all around, from both teams.

That was a really cheap shot by Thornton. Who hits somebody when their laying helplessly on the ice?

A closer look at the replay shows that Thornton slightly slew-footed Orpik in order to bring him down. That is incredibly gutless, not to mention the punches he threw after. Neal's knee to Marchand's head was very dirty too, but Thornton's play takes the cake. It was after the play too ffs. But because he's a first time offender, and he plays for Boston, he'll probably get 6 games (really he deserves 20+. Bertuzzi got a whole year for a similar incident).

Bertuzzi got harshly punished because of the severity of Moore's injury. I don't think it would have been extreme if Moore didn't break his neck. I didn't see the knee to the head by Neal, sounds like a crazy game. Now I'm hoping these two meet in the playoffs. It will be insane.

A closer look at the replay shows that Thornton slightly slew-footed Orpik in order to bring him down. That is incredibly gutless, not to mention the punches he threw after. Neal's knee to Marchand's head was very dirty too, but Thornton's play takes the cake. It was after the play too ffs. But because he's a first time offender, and he plays for Boston, he'll probably get 6 games (really he deserves 20+. Bertuzzi got a whole year for a similar incident).

I think you might be right... but it's sad that the Bruins usually get away with this.

I think you might be right... but it's sad that the Bruins usually get away with this.

At least its not up to Colin Campbell anymore. I seem to remember he wasn't allowed making decisions about the Bruins because of his son playing for them. But I'm sure he still had influence.

Archived