How would Arya react to marrying the Frey boy?

Honestly, I believe if Cat and Robb told her marrying a Frey would help their family, then she would have done it. Arya is a noble girl, and as such, has been raised knowing she would be married off to another Lord. Ned and her even discuss this at one point IIRC. Robb and Cat were going to pick the Frey, so they'd be sure to pick one that would treat her right and not force her to change too much. Not to mention that marrying a Frey would be for an alliance to strengthen her family, and Arya has been raised to support family no matter what.

Now, if say Arya were recaptured by Lannister forces and they tried to force her to marry (like Jeyne Poole to Ramsey) then her husband would end up dead! Especially if they tried marrying her to Ramsey and he tried to pull the shit he pulled with Jeyne. In fact, that would be a fun read :D

Yes Ned and Arya have that discussion after Arya asks if Bran can still be a knight. Ned says no, but he can be a lord, an adviser to the King, build ships, be a septon etc. Arya asks if she can do those things and Ned tells her she will marry a high lord and her sons will do all those things. Arya then says "That's not me, that's Sansa!"

So I'm not sure she would agree to a marriage.

Also, I'm not sure it would have been so easy to kill Ramsay and get away with it. In all the situations she was in, she had a guardian angel, whether it was Jaqen (who owed her a favor), the BwB or the Hound (who protected her because they saw her as a source of revenue).

Yes Ned and Arya have that discussion after Arya asks if Bran can still be a knight. Ned says no, but he can be a lord, an adviser to the King, build ships, be a septon etc. Arya asks if she can do those things and Ned tells her she will marry a high lord and her sons will do all those things. Arya then says "That's not me, that's Sansa!"

So I'm not sure she would agree to a marriage.

Also, I'm not sure it would have been so easy to kill Ramsay and get away with it. In all the situations she was in, she had a guardian angel, whether it was Jaqen (who owed her a favor), the BwB or the Hound (who protected her because they saw her as a source of revenue).

eventually, she would agree. She was what, 9-10 when they had that conversation. Also, her family wasn't at war. Arya is impulsive, but not selfish. If Robb said her marrying a Frey or anyone else would help them win, not to mention fuck over the Lannisters some more, she'd do it.

Killing Ramsey wouldn't be easy, but if my idea came to pass after her training with the FM, say she's captured after returning to Westeros, then I think she could do it. Also, many of the non-Dreadfort men only really follow Ramsey because they think Jeyne is Arya. If the real Arya was there and fought back, they'd likely back her. Manderly would for sure.

She wouldn't do it even if she had to take off, and no matter what anyone would say she would respond "no."

Arya would never betray her family. Not after everything she has witnessed and how hard she fought to get back to them.

She would run away.

IIRC Martin has said a number of times (the princess running away from an arranged marriage) that he really dislikes this kind of plot and finds it utterly implausible in a medieval setting.

ETA:here's the quote I was thinking of:

"And then there are some things that are just don’t square with history. In some sense I’m trying to respond to that. [For example] the arranged marriage, which you see constantly in the historical fiction and television show, almost always when there’s an arranged marriage, the girl doesn’t want it and rejects it and she runs off with the stable boy instead. This never fucking happened. It just didn’t. There were thousands, tens of thousand, perhaps hundreds of thousands of arranged marriages in the nobility through the thousand years of Middle Ages and people went through with them. That’s how you did it. It wasn’t questioned."

I was wondering, what if Arya had been reunited with Robb and her mother before Robb's marriage to Jeyne?

How would she react to the news that she was to marry a Frey?

1. She had been told this would happen all of her life. She wouldn't like it, but she would do it.

2. Pre-Red Wedding, she had nothing against Freys.

3. She actually got along with her betrothed in Harrenhal. At least until he remembered "she was just a peasant."

4. Considering their two personalities, she would quickly establish who was in charge.

What about Lyanna then?

Well, I guess it's different when the crown prince comes calling. :)

The quote is more specific than I remembered it when I first posted about it based on my recollection, it's largely about class differences and a princess running away with the stable boy, here is the full interview - http://entertainment.time.com/2011/04/18/grrm-interview-part-2-fantasy-and-history/

AGOT Arya would probably have gone along with it and ended up dominating the relationship

ASOS Arya would have probably went along with it but would be willing to take him out of the picture if he mistreated her

ADWD Arya would probably just slip in some poison and kill the priest, groom, and anyone else in the equation that isn't a friend or family

Well, I guess it's different when the crown prince comes calling. :)

The quote is more specific than I remembered it when I first posted about it based on my recollection, it's largely about class differences and a princess running away with the stable boy, here is the full interview - http://entertainment.time.com/2011/04/18/grrm-interview-part-2-fantasy-and-history/

You gave me brief hope that R+L is more interesting than what it is made out to be. Alas.

What about prince Duncan and Jenny then?

I think she would rebel in some way, definitely - react badly, hide somewhere for a little while, then negotiate/bargain some sort of other deal. For example...she might suggest that the marriage won't happen until she is older, like 17-20. Or, not consumate the marriage until she is older, and if her husband thinks otherwise then action can take place. It might be a long shot, depending on how Walder would feel about such suggestions, but there would still be an attempt on Arya's part.

Even though she was told throughout her life that it was her goal and duty, it doesn't mean she would automaticly accept. She has already went against every other "proper" noble woman behaviour as is.

In the end she would accept the marriage once she knows it would weigh heavily on the family, but she would still react and devise little or big schemes. Once she officially has and meets the betrothed, she would likely ignore him for a little while, or taunt him. Maybe part of her might try and be polite (Or be polite based on the encouragement of a family) but once he says something snarky or stupid, there would be a good old pie in the face or dumped wine on his trousers.

Outside/prior/if the whole RW and KL ordeals didn't occur - he, or his family, would have to do something very malicious in order for her to consider murder. And I would reckon she wouldn't do something as spontaniously. Her original killings occured when she was incognito, against those who are commoners and criminals in remote locations and towns, all the middle of a war. If under the contrary, as a known noble lady Arya, in high end public settings regularly, having mingled and known with the Freys amongst other houses, I doubt she would just fling out a knife out of the blue and stab someone. She would plan everything way ahead. If she had reason to be anti on her betrothed or his family, she would probably try and manipulate the situation to her benefit. Whether go to her parents, or someone else important with public or behind the scenes authority, exagerate and twist the truth, or genuinely offer real evidence that condemns the ones she dislikes. Then when necessary, and/or provoked, hurt the person physically. For example, in the case of her husband or other Frey trying to rape her, she would definitely hurt if not kill him.

The difference with Joffrey, is that she wasn't expecting him to suddenly wander over out fo the blue and be a massive jackass. He was her sister's fiance, originally thought to have nothing to do with Arya herself, and supposed to be this princely noble guy. With her own betrothal, she could have many months or years to plan for different outcomes. With her already existing experience of the suprise attitude of another betrothed, she would be wary ahead of time with her own. Probably think "Ohh..he might be nice now, but he could be a jerk later. I'm on to you! Gotta be careful just in case!"

She will talk, speak out and bring up a cause altogether, nevertheless. She has defended others, and questioned situations/decisions on things to people like her father.

Let's just hope, if she had sound reason to revolt against a future husband, that her family would hear it out! Though in a case of war and necessary alliances, it wouldn't be an easy thing to deal with.

At this current moment, I also don't believe she turned into some sort of psychopath. If anything, she has PTSD.

I think she would rebel in some way, definitely - react badly, hide somewhere for a little while, then negotiate/bargain some sort of other deal. For example...she might suggest that the marriage won't happen until she is older, like 17-20. Or, not consumate the marriage until she is older, and if her husband thinks otherwise then action can take place. It might be a long shot, depending on how Walder would feel about such suggestions, but there would still be an attempt on Arya's part.

She probably wouldn't marry into she was older anyways, similar to how Sansa wasn't meant to marry until her and Joffrey were older.

She wouln't kill the guy wtf are people talking about. and why would she run away when she was just reunited with her family. If she was allowed to stay like go to winterfell or w/e she'd prob be ok with it more or less. like if she didn't have to go live at the twins. if she was forced to go to the twins, then i agree she may have run away, but wtf does she really care about marrying a guy shes nine she doesnt know what that really entails. she just wants to go back to winterfell with her family, if she has to bring some stupid frey boy with her she'll be annoyed but i dont see why itd be a huge issue right away. and who knows they could get along ya know.

He was actually a really sweet kid :) I found it so adorable when he was crying over his lost princess. I don't think Arya would hate him because he's not that bad, and she'd definitely dominate their marriage ;)

But I always felt that Cat never took her betrothal seriously because she was only 9. Marrying two of your children to the same house is a bad move and betrothals can be broken especially when the kids are so young, I don't think Cat was actually going to marry Arya to a Frey.

Archived