Whose head is Robert Strong "wearing"?

That's a good find. From that wiki article it says, "At Castle Back, Jafer Flowers rises as a wight and kills five people, including Jaremy. The knight manages to hack the wight's already loose head off with his sword, but is killed nonetheless when the headless wight pulls his dagger from its sheath and thrusts it into Jaremy's bowels."

That's a pretty slick move for someone without a central nervous system. We know wight's keep some semblance of their memory. Now it doesn't seem like such a stretch for Gregor to be just as crazy without a head.

Funny because if Qyburn can do it too (wight/undead army), the Others arent that special anymore. They are just awesome fighters with a really really tough body but a huge weakness (dragonglass) :D They are just some random warrior wizard going out for conquest. :D

Exactly and Qyburn has an assortment of corpses to choose from. Even the dwarf head presented to Cersei was considered really big - so it could be sent to Dorne. The Dornish would never notice.

The dwarfs head was big for a dwarf not at big as the mountains did you not read the chapter where Doran martell explains that finding a head as big as the m

Exactly and Qyburn has an assortment of corpses to choose from. Even the dwarf head presented to Cersei was considered really big - so it could be sent to Dorne. The Dornish would never notice.

The dwarfs head was big for a dwarf not at big as the mountains did you not read the chapter where Doran martell explains that finding a head as big as the mountains would be impossible since he's litterly bigger than everyone in the kingdom

Funny because if Qyburn can do it too (wight/undead army), the Others arent that special anymore. They are just awesome fighters with a really really tough body but a huge weakness (dragonglass) :D They are just some random warrior wizard going out for conquest. :D

Lol yea, that's what I'm thinking. They may also be a natural part of the living/dying process of that universe, and screwing up that process has thrown the seasons out of whack. All men must die. All men must serve... *cold wind*

doesnt have to be a head, but if it is its robert baratheons

As a crackpot theory Qyburn could have lifted Robert's head, pumped it full of glamours, and eventually use it to reinforce Cercei's rule. Awesome, but not likely.

As a crackpot theory Qyburn could have lifted Robert's head, pumped it full of glamours, and eventually use it to reinforce Cercei's rule. Awesome, but not likely.

But another's head doesnt fit the timeline of events i dont think, people think its the red vipers but he had no head after gregor finished with him

But another's head doesnt fit the timeline of events i dont think, people think its the red vipers but he had no head after gregor finished with him

I think the last thing they would want to do is start a Martell riot by sewing Oberyn's head on there. What if we can use the mechanic of "bones remember" to be powerful enough to pull off "reviving" Robert Baratheon using Robert's skull and Mel-style illusion magic?

So far, the list of fresh heads (in order of likeliness) are:

- Gregor

- None

- Dwarf

- Joff

- Falyse (because people have suggested it.)

Any others?

There were those drugged jailers that the Kettleblacks killed without questioning. Folks above in this thread have already mentioned that Qyburn's experimental subjects might have been used. A real stretch might be Dontos if the flaming boat somehow made it to shore without his head being completely destroyed. Hey, he did say he wanted to be a knight again.

Theon's penis.

Gregor always was kind of a dickhead. Zing!

For some reason, I prefer the idea that an imitation skull was sent to Dorne. GRRM has established that dead people can be reanimated R'hllor-style (like unCat) or Other-style (like wights), but I don't think there's a precedent for a Frankenstein's monster-style mix and match of people. That definitely doesn't preclude that option since Qyburn's probably using some different kind of dark magic, but it just kind of feels wrong to me.

The "whole Gregor" option does, however, leave the problem of the large skull that shows up in Dorne. I remember there being some mention (by Maester Luwin, maybe?) that men still find giants' bones in the ground, but that giants are believed to be extinct. I think it would be funny if Qyburn found an actual giant's skull in storage at the Red Keep and everybody believes that it's Gregor's because they don't believe in the creatures beyond the Wall and laugh them off as superstitions like grumkins and snarks.

On a side note, how awesome/hilarious would it be if grumkins and snarks turned out to be real before the end of the series?

I can't see the debut of Robert Strong going well if he has no head. Actually I can't see it going well in any case. It will be a classic out of control robot lurching around.

That was my issue, but when it comes to the undead, all the rules go out the window. I posted a quote recalling how a knight managed to cut a wight's head off, and it reached for its dagger and stabbed him in the guts. That's a pretty slick move for not having a brain. I think Qyburn's experiment will be wildly successful... People will either crap their pants just thinking about him, or praise him for being an invincible warrior of the Faith.

That's a good find. From that wiki article it says, "At Castle Back, Jafer Flowers rises as a wight and kills five people, including Jaremy. The knight manages to hack the wight's already loose head off with his sword, but is killed nonetheless when the headless wight pulls his dagger from its sheath and thrusts it into Jaremy's bowels."

That's a pretty slick move for someone without a central nervous system. We know wight's keep some semblance of their memory. Now it doesn't seem like such a stretch for Gregor to be just as crazy without a head.

also remember the arm Jon cuts off in his fight, it continues to fight after its severed until Ghost cracks the marrow in the bone. so there is precedent for a body or part of a body to fight without a head or even without anything

• 1 year later...

My favorite theory is that it's Falyse's head in there. To me that's even creepier than an empty helm, having the tiny, mismatched head of a woman on this enormous man's body. From Crows:

"Alas," said Qyburn. "I fear that Lady Falyse is no longer capable of ruling Stokeworth. Or, indeed, of feeding herself."

2spooky

He has no head. Remember Bran's vision. There was a stone giant, and when his visor was lifted there was only darkness inside. Not sure about the stone part (rigor mortis? connection to Skagos?) but the darkness seems to indicate that the guy is headless, which explains that whole not speaking thing.

The head can't be Robert's. Knowing the type of medieval technology that is used in the series, it would've horribly decomposed to the point of unrecognition. I don't think long-term embalming would even be possible in this time period either. Also, there would be no real purpose to have Robert's head there specifically, other than the fact that the knight is named "Robert" which shouldn't matter I think. Plus we are told Robert was buried in Storm's End.

I like to think (just like other people here) that there is no head, which is much creepier. However I do think that when he takes off his helmet and starts walking around (assuming he does) it would imaginably look pretty goofy. I'd almost be expecting someone else's head to comedically pop out of it.

I think the likely answer is that it is his own head. Cersei's bounty ensured that the Lannisters would have the means to gift the Martells an overlarge skull without beheading Gregor Clegane.

Archived