Moments of Foreshadowing 6

Fire Eater

Bran's first ACOK chapter talks about the quintains painted in lannister colors. The lion on the shield is disfigured and badly scarred, he notes, foreshadowing Tyrion's soon-to-be-missing nose.

ETA: later in the chapter, Bran threatens to take Little Walder's head off using his wolf; the exact opposite happens at the Twins when Robb's head is taken off and replaced with his wolf's.

In ACOK, Joff is shooting hares outside with his crossbow, but having a tough go of it. He's killed only one while one lay dying, twitching. We know Dany associates with a hare because of her "floppy ears". Trying to draw a conclusion from this, but it's difficult.

In ACOK, Joff is shooting hares outside with his crossbow, but having a tough go of it. He's killed only one while one lay dying, twitching. We know Dany associates with a hare because of her "floppy ears". Trying to draw a conclusion from this, but it's difficult.

Maybe Fire Eater can make the connection but I don't think they are. The first scene suggests how nimble LF is. I don't think there's any deeper meaning for the second.

Perhaps it talks about how each ruler goes about their reign and how one will fail (become a tyrant) and why the other will succeed.

Dany dons her "floppy ears" to assimilate with her people, she tries not to make the 'hares' (her people) fear her too much whereas Joff cares little for his 'hares' and recklessly wounds, menaces with and kills them at a whim - becoming hated as a King.

The best idea I can draw is that Dany will become a very good Queen at some point.

Dragons plant no trees

I think we will see Jon planting a weirwood for a heart tree later in the series, possibly in the godswood in KL akin to Aragorn planting a White Tree in Minas Tirith.

Wasn't the dead tree sent to the Tombs of the Old Numenorean Kings? Does Bran finally rest in the crypts?

Iirc there are also the Wild Hares and their bad ending... I usually connect hares with ingenuity but it's a matter of personal taste rather than something well thought.

Also, a worth read.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88292-littlefinger-and-potted-hare/

The line of the dragonkings had almost died out during his father’s day, but it was commonly said that Daeron II and his sons had left it secure for all time.

Could it foreshadow that House Targaryen will continue through Jon?

Dragons plant no trees

I think we will see Jon planting a weirwood for a heart tree later in the series, possibly in the godswood in KL akin to Aragorn planting a White Tree in Minas Tirith.

Indeed! I believe that Jon will lead a revival of belief in the Old Gods in the aftermath of the Long Night' as he is the first and only Targaryen that practice the faith of the Old Gods.

There was a thread I just read about Tyrions bastards (if any) and I was wondering.... could Penny be Tyrions and Tyshas?

With his tax 'the Dwarfs Penny' - Tywins "Wherever whores go" (presumably to Essos which is where Penny is from)...

Thoughts?

There was a thread I just read about Tyrions bastards (if any) and I was wondering.... could Penny be Tyrions and Tyshas?

With his tax 'the Dwarfs Penny' - Tywins "Wherever whores go" (presumably to Essos which is where Penny is from)...

Thoughts?

I doubt it but I think Lanna is his trueborn daughter.

Not sure if this has been pointed out before,noticed last night on a re read of the Arya chapter and her escape from Harrenhal.

NO ONE saw her,and she saw NO ONE,only a grey and white cat creeping atop the Godswood wall.

Then in ASOS in a Jamie chapter where he gives Brienne Oathkeeper he tells Her that they've taken an Arya dressed in grey and white.

Not sure if there's anymore ref to No One or grey and white anywhere,wouldn't surprise me if there is.

Seems to be a ref to Arya going to the house of Black and White and becoming No One(faceless man)

I would like to start by saying how much I love this forum and especially these threads, its really quite impressive the stuff you guys are catching. Now that thats taken care of lol, the one thing I thought of while reading all of these threads that I hadn't seen posted before was the LATE lord Frey, now I know why they call him that in the context of the book but generally you only refer to someone as the "late" whoever posthumously. Maybe this was done purposely by GRRM telling us from the beginning that his end is near? Thoughts?

Ghost was gone when the wildlings led their horses from the cave. Did he understand about Castle Black? Jon took a breath of the crisp morning air and allowed himself to hope. The eastern sky was pink near the horizon and pale grey higher up. The Sword of the Morning still hung in the south, the bright white star in its hilt blazing like a diamond in the dawn, but the blacks and greys of the darkling forest were turning once again to greens and golds, reds and russets. And above the soldier pines and oaks and ash and sentinels stood the Wall, the ice pale and glimmering beneath the dust and dirt that pocked its surface.

This part struck me. It may be related to the ToJ but I cant form the connection.

"I will never have a little girl. I was the Mother of Dragons."

I think Dany will have a little girl near the end, although I don't think Dany will live to see her grow up.

Dany knew enough of Westerosi history to know that. Nymeria had landed ten thousand ships upon Dorne's sandy shores, but when she had wed her Dornish prince she had them all burned

I think Dany will follow Nymeria's example eventually and carry her people by ship to Westeros. Nymeria came to escape the dragons while Dany is coming to bring dragons.

Drogon landed on the carcass and sank his claws into the smoking flesh. As he began to feed, he made no distinction between Barsena and the boar.

Barsena fought the boar very foolishly, i.e with a dagger.

Robert's last boar hunt was also foolish, he was very drunk, still he tried to kill the beast.

Robert's youngest bastard was Barra. Barsena-Baratheon compasiron is obvious.

Drogon came and killed the boar. Then he fed on both the boar and Barsena.

I think this may foreshadow that Dany will destroy those who are responsible from the boar plot which killed Robert. Her feeding on Robert's corpse is a bit confusing though.

Archived