EBT (Food Stamp) shopping spree

Ser Scot A Ellison

Anyone else heard about this:

http://news.msn.com/us/wal-mart-xerox-blame-each-other-for-food-stamps-spree

For some reason MSN will not let me copy from my iPhone. The basic gist is that EBT cards were showing no limits so EBT users rushed to local Wal-Marts and cleared the shelves in the grocery section. Wal-Mart is blaming Xerox and Xerox is blaming Wal-Mart. The State of Louisiana is saying it will absolutely not foot the bill. People, according to the article had as many as 8-10 shopping carts full of groceries. When the glitch was fixed and announced over store speakers the shoppers abanonded their carts and left.

Should the EBT users have any culpablity for what they had to know was an abuse of their EBT cards? If not why not, beyond they don't have the money to repay the bills they ran up in excess of their EBT allotments?

What about notifying those that over ran their EBT cards that they have used their allotments for the time period that corresponds with the amount of money they spent?

For some reason MSN will not let me copy from my iPhone. The basic gist is that EBT cards were showing no limits so EBT users rushed to local Wal-Marts and cleared the shelves in the grocery section. Wal-Mart is blaming Xerox and Xerox is blaming Wal-Mart. The State of Louisiana is saying it will absolutely not foot the bill. People, according to the article had as many as 8-10 shopping carts full of groceries. When the glitch was fixed and announced over store speakers the shoppers abanonded their carts and left.

Should the EBT users have any culpablity for what they had to know was an abuse of their EBT cards? If not why not, beyond they don't have the money to repay the bills they ran up in excess of their EBT allotments?

They should have to repay the money taken in excess of their entitlement. If I an ATM accidently spits out $20,000 when I go to withdraw $20, I cannot keeep the extra amount. Same principle. Practically speaking, it is very unlikely this money will be recovered from the individuals who took advantage of the glitch.

What about notifying those that over ran their EBT cards that they have used their allotments for the time period that corresponds with the amount of money they spent?

yes.

My question would rather be wether Wallmart employees should have allowed shoppers to use those cards at that period of time.

Could Wallmart be prosecuted if they did that?

Would they even know? If they did, is there some way to identify which cards are illegitimate? I doubt Wal-Mart can see the balances, just approved/denied.

Does anyone think it would be unfair to limit those who overcharge their EBT cards to the amounts normally alloted to them such that they couldn't use the EBT cards again until their alloted entitlements equaled the amounts they had purchased?

Not so much "unfair" as "they could starve," which is a pretty horrible thing to allow even though it's their fault.

Re: Walmart being held responsible: Walmart must have known something was up when people started to purchase multiple carts of groceries. The people receiving the EBT benefits should not have abused the glitch... and as was mentioned upthread, if my ATM spits out $2,000 when I only have $200 in my account, the bank will correct the error and i willl owe the $1800.

Inigima,

That is a problem. Aren't EBT purchases limited to foodstuffs? As such shouldn't 8 carts of groceries, particularly dry products, feed those who purchased them for quite some time?

Sci,

I do see your point, however, the existence of other crimes does not make it okay for someone to pick my pocket. Your rational could be offered to allow anyone who steals to get away scot free until all white collar criminals are rounded up.

Of course they should repay. They knew they were stealing and theoretically committed fraud or theft by deception or whatever they call it in Louisiana.

Very much this. But it could be repaid back by a reduction of benefits for future months. (but not taking the whole amount of their monthly allotment---so they could buy perishables)

Inigima,

Actually, I think (I could be wrong) the reciepts for EBT pruchases show how much remains of their entitlement for the month. That's how the shoppers figured out there was no limit, their receipts told them their cards had no limit.

I think that is right, but I don't think that the onus should be put on the cashier at Wal-Mart to know what should be on someones EBT balance.

Are the people that did this responsible? Absolutely. I don't even see a gray area in it.

Inigima,

That is a problem. Aren't EBT purchases limited to foodstuffs? As such shouldn't 8 carts of groceries, particularly dry products, feed those who purchased them for quite some time?

Probably. Did they buy mostly nonperishables? Who knows?

The fact that EBT products are limited mostly to foodstuffs (and toiletries? Cn you buy toilet paper and stuff with them? I have no idea) is kind of telling, actually. These people rushed to buy basic necessities as long as they could. On the one hand, you really shouldn't be taking advantage of support programs like this. On the other hand, how inadequate is that program normally if you're this desperate to stock up on basic necessities?

Sci,

I do see your point, however, the existence of other crimes does not make it okay for someone to pick my pocket. Your rational could be offered to allow anyone who steals to get away scot free until all white collar criminals are rounded up.

Come on Scot. The government "picks your pocket" is so many ways.

But yes, they should be charged. I just think it's ridiculous people obsess over what amounts to petty theft when we're all getting robbed by corporations.

Probably. Did they buy mostly nonperishables? Who knows?

The fact that EBT products are limited mostly to foodstuffs (and toiletries? Cn you buy toilet paper and stuff with them? I have no idea) is kind of telling, actually. These people rushed to buy basic necessities as long as they could. On the one hand, you really shouldn't be taking advantage of support programs like this. On the other hand, how inadequate is that program normally if you're this desperate to stock up on basic necessities?

Plus, with all the fear of the government shut down and not knowing if they will get anything next month or the month after, I can see how someone would certainly feel like they needed to do this.

Archived