If Dany is a red herring then what is her purpose in the story?

Audrey Arryn

I think Dany is a red herring for AAR and TPTWP prophecy. But that doesn't mean she will be a just a useless character. She will have a pivotal role in TBOTD2.0 and will e the major antagonist to many characters. She wont be a "villain" but an obstacle to other characters as they would be to her.

I'm quite certain that whatever Dany's eventual fate, it's not to be someone's trophy-queen. If it was, then it could have ended when she married Khal Drogo. For good or evil - and that remains very much an open question - she'll shape her own destiny, and her own legacy.

If it'll be as Good Queen Daenerys, the Great Emancipator, or as Evil Queen Daenerys, the Mad Dragon Queen, only the future will tell. Likely there'll be some who will claim either extreme, with the truth somewhere in between.

:agree:

I'm quite certain that whatever Dany's eventual fate, it's not to be someone's trophy-queen. If it was, then it could have ended when she married Khal Drogo. For good or evil - and that remains very much an open question - she'll shape her own destiny, and her own legacy.

If it'll be as Good Queen Daenerys, the Great Emancipator, or as Evil Queen Daenerys, the Mad Dragon Queen, only the future will tell. Likely there'll be some who will claim either extreme, with the truth somewhere in between.

ive always thought this to some extent.

I can see 3 possible endings for her

1. She rules alone. Whether she is a great queen or a mad woman.

2. She rules alongside her husband, as EQUALS. And the husband who I think would be okay with that is Jon and I dont see them marrying.

3. The most likely scenario IMO is that she dies in the Battle of the Dawn 2.0.

She will never play second fiddle to anyone. She will either die, rule alone or be her husbands equal.

So some of you think the book is about 2 long lost siblings riding around on dragons defeating evil Others and marry each other and live happily ever after, like some kid's fairy tale??

Jon, who I'm assuming you refer to, is Dany's nephew, not her brother.

Dany might not be AA/PTWP but I do think that she is the STMTW and either the three headed dragon, or one of its heads (if the dragon is three people), because of the following quote:

And now the stone was gone and she flew across the Dothraki sea, high and higher, the green rippling beneath, and all that lived and breathed fled in terror from the shadow of her wings. She could smell home, she could see it, there, just beyond that door, green fields and great stone houses and arms to keep her warm, there. She threw open the door. “... the dragon... " And saw her brother Rhaegar, mounted on a stallion as black as his armor. Fire glimmered red through the narrow eye slit of his helm. “The last dragon,” Ser Jorah’s voice whispered faintly. “The last, the last.” Dany lifted his polished black visor. The face within was her own.

I think we can all agree that it makes no sense that such a massive portion of the text as Dany's storyline would be devoted to a character with no role in the endgame.

But GRRM is SUBVERTING TROPES!!!!! I'm sure she'll die of an infected hang nail shortly after her encounter with the Dothraki and the dragons will fly off to Asshai never to be heard from again.

One of her important functions is to get the dragons to Westeros. Or at least one of the dragons. As they grow up, the two she isn't riding will probably be less likely to follow her anymore.

I don't think she's a red herring (but neither do I think she'll survive to the end), but dragons is basically her main purpose, whether red herring or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "red herring," but I think by that you mean a hero who will come to Westeros, achieve the Iron Throne, and then save the day by defeating the Others. I don't think it's helpful to think about Dany's role in the story in these terms. Dany could proove inspiring, tragic, pathetic, redemptive, etc., without being either a "hero" or the ultimate "villain." And because we don't yet know how the story will end -- what exactly is Martin's "endgame" -- we can't yet know how a non-heroic Dany could fit into that endgame, but I can certainly think of lots of possibilities. Out of the icebox and into the fire, maybe, if Dany proves to be a "villain"?

This will probably sound trite (and is definitely circular), but Dany is in the story because the books are a story about Dany. Dany does not need to have any specific purpose in either the Game of Thrones or the battle with the Others for her story to be a good one.

It's curious people rally against the idea that Dany could be Jon's consort as it diminishes a weightily crafted character's influence on the story, yet a character with more text devotion is considered odds on to just play the part of Dany's good little hand.

Archived