Dany not marrying Quentin- SPOILERS

TheBlood Raven

I dont know if its just me but does it also really piss anyone off that Dany did not marry Quentin. It really makes me mad when she had this great chance to marry Quentin and does not. I could accept the fact if the reason was she was not ready to invade westeros, but it was not her reason was to stop the harpy from attacking Meeren. My question is why is this such a priority. Who cares about the Harpy terrorizing her city and the unsullied. There is no reason to stay in Meeren and be be queen. What value does it have after its sacked. Its in the middle of nowhere with no major resources worth staying for. It just really pisses me off that the most elgible bachelorette in the world chose to have a crappy slave city, instead of 50,000 spears from Dorne? I just think it shows how childish and immature Dany really is. Much like her Brother I dont think she has the strength or intelligence to be a ruler. and for a side not i think Dany's downfall came when she exiled Jorah. I have not done a re read but from what I can tell every single piece of advice Jorah gives dany seems to be the right answer in every situation.

If you had a horde of sick and starving people whose freedom depended on you staying around to help them, wouldn't you? At the time she didn't want to abandon her freedmen, and if protecting them required her to marry some sleezy Mereenese guy, then that's what she would do. Quentyn's offer of marriage would only bear fruit when (and if) she ever got to Westeros, and that wasn't in the cards at that point in time.

I think Quentyn (and moreso Doran) were the more foolish here, expecting some unknown dragon-lady to drop everything and conquer a nation she hadn't made any moves towards conquering on the word of a couple of Dornish guys.

Because she is but a young girl, and knows little of the ways of war.

Besides, there's no way Dorne has 50,000 spears. They might have half of that.

They may count some mercenaries they are ready to hire at any time or some alliances. Or maybe their estimate is realistic 100%. All in all they are in the best position to judge their military strength, not us readers.

To the OP.. what can I say? Nothing that wouldn't lead me in a long-lasting quarrel with Daenerys-fans. C'est la vie, what is done is done, let's turn the page and hope it will be soon over for our sake and for Westeros..

Doran says that Dorne is weaker than its reputation suggests.

But, in any case, Quentyn arrived the day before Dany's wedding to Hizdahr, with enemy forces at the gates of the city. Fleeing the city with Quentyn, and leaving it to be sacked, would be a grossly irresponsible thing to do.

They may count some mercenaries they are ready to hire at any time or some alliances. Or maybe their estimate is realistic 100%. All in all they are in the best position to judge their military strength, not us readers.

To the OP.. what can I say? Nothing that wouldn't lead me in a long-lasting quarrel with Daenerys-fans. C'est la vie, what is done is done, let's turn the page and hope it will be soon over for our sake and for Westeros..

Didn't we have a thread like this last week?

Anyway, Dany's priority in ADwD is to heal Meereen. So she stays in Meereen and marries a Meereense husband instead of fleeing to Westeros like a defeated child.

But moreover, Quentyn offered her no way out of Meereen. If he had brought some of these "50,000" spears (well, we know the number is much closer to 25k), perhaps things would have turned out differently.

The plan to have Quentyn marry Dany is one of the lamer of Doran's many lame plots. A prince should be presented as a prince; he shouldn't sneak around incognito and show up uannounced. "Hey, I'm not really a renegade sellsword. In my day job I'm a prince of Dorne, and I have this paper to prove it. Your brother was supposed to marry my sister before his unfortunate accident, so you really should marry me to keep the bargain. You say your brother never said anything about it? It's true, though. So why don't you drop this Hizdahr guy and abandon your followers and come with me to Dorne as soon as we can hire a boat ."

Really convincing.

I dont know if its just me but does it also really piss anyone off that Dany did not marry Quentin.

I don't think you can blame Dany for that. Dany had no idea of any marriage pact between Viserys and Arianne, and she certainly is not bound by that - since her brother died the pact stayed broken. Quentyn may have arrived late to Meereen, but in such short time I doubt he could convince her to stop marrying Hizdahr. She did what she thought was right for Meereen, for that you have to give credit to her.

I actually think this is one of Dany's better decisions. I don't think she missed any great chance. Why ally herself with one family in Westeros when she doesn't really know about the political situation there?

The plan to have Quentyn marry Dany is one of the lamer of Doran's many lame plots. A prince should be presented as a prince; he shouldn't sneak around incognito and show up uannounced. "Hey, I'm not really a renegade sellsword. In my day job I'm a prince of Dorne, and I have this paper to prove it. Your brother was supposed to marry my sister before his unfortunate accident, so you really should marry me to keep the bargain. You say your brother never said anything about it? It's true, though. So why don't you drop this Hizdahr guy and abandon your followers and come with me to Dorne as soon as we can hire a boat ."

Really convincing.

I am always surprised that Dany doesn't focus on the most relevant thing in Quentyn's announcement of the marriage pact. Doran agreed to marry Arianne to Viserys and back him for the throne yet did absolutely NOTHING for over a dozen years while they wandered the free cities penniless and friendless.

You've got to be honest. That doesn't wow me to have Doran or Dorne as an ally.

At that moment I think Dany made the right decision. Her priority at that time was to try to heal Meereen. Quentyn arrives the day before her wedding with an empty promise of 50,000 spears and no viable way to escape Meereen. A marriage to Quentyn would likely have meant Dany abandoning her freedmen, Dothraki and Unsullied. Not to mention the issues with her dragons; Viserion and Rhaegal chained up and not under her control while Drogon had flown off.

I am always surprised that Dany doesn't focus on the most relevant thing in Quentyn's announcement of the marriage pact. Doran agreed to marry Arianne to Viserys and back him for the throne yet did absolutely NOTHING for over a dozen years while they wandered the free cities penniless and friendless.

You've got to be honest. That doesn't wow me to have Doran or Dorne as an ally.

I was also surprised by this. I understand Doran's need to keep the pact secret until the right moment, but there are definitely sneaky ways to make sure Viserys and Dany were protected.

And as other posters have noted, sending Quentyn and his merry men without an escape plan is also strange. I don't recall how much Doran knew about the Mereenese situation was when he sent Q east, but not even having a ship of their own to take Dany back to Westros, that's just silly. I do see that Doran wanted to be discreet about it, but Q could easily have been going to another Eastern city as part of a "tour of the world" which seems to be a somewhat common activity for young highborn men with nothing better to do.

Dany was concerned primarily with "the good" of meereen when Quentin arrives and her marriage was what had just so recently stopped the harpy killings. Then there's the whole honoring marriage thing, we've seen how breaking vows can go terribly wrong(the red wedding). She did the right thing IMO. At least for what her goal was at the time.

OP, the same logic you use to imply that by staying in Meereen shows how childish and immature Dany is could also be applied if she abandoned the people of Meereen. To me, the fact that she is taking responsibility for these people actually SHOWS maturity. Dany wants Westeros but is willing to hold off in order to help the people of Meereen.

I think we're also assuming Dorne wouldn't join her unless she married Quentyn. Not sure why they'd support the Lannisters over her, Quentyn or not. Now, with the information we have now, it might have hurt her because Aegon has shown up and they could throw in with him, but at the time nobody knew Aegon even existed.

she doesnt want to abandon her freedmen while they are in a situation that they would probably return to slavery if she leaves. She has no where near enough ships to take everyone following her to westeros (perhaps with the iron fleet she will) she is still young, and, more importantly, so are her dragons, if i was dany i'd stay in Meereen, because she will likely only have one chance in her life to retake westeros, and she wants to do it when she has the best chance of succeeding, instead of rushing things

Archived