What would disappoint you most?

Emtreid

Jon living. Nothing against the character per se; simply the fact that everyone and their goat takes his Targ lineage as fact - until its written down on the pages, there's nothing certain.

I know who Jon's parents are without it being confirmed the same way that I don't have to stick my hand in a fire to know that it's hot. It's a mystery that's meant to be figured out, and as far as I'm concerned, the "confirmation" when it comes will be for the benefit of characters within the story. It's not telling the people who figured it out anything they don't already know. It also strikes me as an incredibly petty reason to wish for Jon's death.

I know who Jon's parents are without it being confirmed the same way that I don't have to stick my hand in a fire to know that it's hot. It's a mystery that's meant to be figured out, and as far as I'm concerned, the "confirmation" when it comes will be for the benefit of characters within the story. It's not telling the people who figured it out anything they don't already know. It also strikes me as an incredibly petty reason to wish for Jon's death.

See, but that's what annoys me - I believe Jon being a Targ is the case; but that doesn't mean I know. The only person that knows is GRRM himself - and call it a petty reason, I simply find it quite amusing imagining the outrage that would follow.

- If Daenerys wins in any way

- If Jon turns out to be the "main key" that's needed to solve all of the problems

- If everyone hoping for some kind of "fairness" or "comeuppance" gets their way and in the end all of ASOIAF was just another fairy tale where everything was fine in the end. (I really don't think this will happen, but God would I be disappointed if it did.)

I would be disappointed if Aegon is a real Targaryen and not an imposter one.

I would be disappointed if he was specifically a Blackfyre impostor. I'd prefer him to be either the real deal or a double fake sold as Blackfyre to win the support of the Gold Company. A mummer's dragon need not be a real one (though it can be).

If Jon is actually dead, then what's the point of his character. I can understand most character's point, to progress a character emotionally or physically, to move the plot along. But if Jon is actually dead, then his character has served no purpose except to fill pages and that would make me unhappy.

R+L=J is already a cheesy telenovela twist as it is. If it becomes more important than "yes, they are Jon's parents, now let's move on to the stuff that really matters", it would be catastrophic.

A common theory over these parts is that Theon will be executed and that will be the blood sacrifice that brings Jon back. If that happens I fucking quit, right there and then.

Since we're in that subject, Azor Ahai being played straight as a prophecy.

Secret Targ. I don't even like the generally accepted one, as I have said.

If the Game of Thrones takes a backseat to the standard "humans vs supernatural beings" story

R+L=J is already a cheesy telenovela twist as it is. If it becomes more important than "yes, they are Jon's parents, now let's move on to the stuff that really matters", it would be catastrophic.

Would it still be cheesy if Lyanna really was kidnapped and wasn't at the ToJ willingly?

See, but that's what annoys me - I believe Jon being a Targ is the case; but that doesn't mean I know. The only person that knows is GRRM himself - and call it a petty reason, I simply find it quite amusing imagining the outrage that would follow.

And the "We don't really know!" argument equally annoys me. It's like saying, "I have two apples in my left hand and two in my right but I'm not comfortable saying I have four." GRRM knows, yeah, being the guy who wrote the books and the guy who included enough information to figure out the solution without readers getting beaten upside the head with it.

Archived