Blackfish: Did he want to be the Whitefish?

Fire Eater

There have been different theories over why the Blackfish didn't get married and refused all his brother's matches from homosexuality, to wanting his brother's wife, to that he was just a guy who didn't want to be settled down.

The girl I was to wed married my cousin in my place

Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings.

The former are the words of Barristan who also won fame for his exploits in the War of the Ninepenny Kings just as the Blackfish did who served alongside Barristan. This may be reaching, but Oswell Whent displayed his sigil of the black bat while the Blackfish wears a black fish clasp.

I think Brynden refused the matches originally, because like Barristan, he hoped to join the KG, and didn't want to damage his eligibility.

Eventually he grew older, and his chances diminished with age as kings look for young men to be recruited into the KG. I think he gave up on the dream thinking he was too old to become a member of the KG now.

My crackpot is that in the end his dream will be realized when Jon gives him a white cloak and makes him LC of the KG as he had served Robb and his family loyally and well.

I like this, I like it a lot.

It is even related to his extreme disdain against Jaime. Maybe he thought it was incredibly unfair that someone like Jaime would continue to be a KG while the Blackfish himself never got the white cloak. Granted, it's not like the Blackfish didn't have many other reasons to hate Jaime, but maybe it still was a factor.

This is something that never crossed my mind. He would have made an amazing Kingsguard member, and he probably still would despite his age. I always assumed, like many, it was because he wanted Catelyn's mother, and felt no one would replace her. For a fighter, getting passed over for the Kingsguard has to be rough.

It is even related to his extreme disdain against Jaime. Maybe he thought it was incredibly unfair that someone like Jaime would continue to be a KG while the Blackfish himself never got the white cloak. Granted, it's not like the Blackfish didn't have many other reasons to hate Jaime, but maybe it still was a factor.

Your Picture creeps the hell out of me.

Love the theory. Makes a lot of sense, actually.

The Blackfish was thought to have been an amazing fighter by Jaime.

To the point where he once thought a fight between them would be "fodder for the singers."

But a Great House member of a Kingsguard is never a good thing.

Now they arent that Great a House :D

There have been different theories over why the Blackfish didn't get married and refused all his brother's matches from homosexuality to that he was just a guy who didn't want to be settled down.

The girl I was to wed married my cousin in my place

Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings.

The former are the words of Barristan who also won fame for his exploits in the War of the Ninepenny Kings just as the Blackfish did who served alongside Barristan. This may be reaching, but Oswell Whent displayed his sigil of the black bat while the Blackfish wears a black fish clasp.

I think Brynden refused the matches originally, because like Barristan, he hoped to join the KG, and didn't want to damage his eligibility.

Eventually he grew older, and his chances diminished with age as kings look for young men to be recruited into the KG.

My crackpot is that in the end his dream will be realized when Jon gives him a white cloak and makes him LC of the KG as he had served Robb and his family loyally and well.

Both good explanations, certainly plausible. :)

I'll just crack my pot some more.

"I have an uncle Brynden," Bran said . . .

"Your uncle may have been named for me."

BR was a skilled archer from the riverlands, and the Blackfish was shown to be a competent archer when he launched a fire arrow into Hoster's funeral boat where Edmure had failed. Brynden Rivers killed the first Blackfyre pretender and I think the one possibly named for him, Brynden Tully, will be the one to kill the last Blackfyre pretender. I can see Aegon trying something foolhardy like his forebear Daemon I did with a frontal assault on the vanguard made up of Valemen, and engaging in single combat with the Blackfish, who will likely be fighting alongside the Valemen, like Daemon Blackfyre fought with Gwayne Corbray, a member of the KG whose sigil was three black ravens, again like the black fish of Brynden.

I'll just crack my pot some more.

"I have an uncle Brynden," Bran said . . .

"Your uncle may have been named for me."

BR was a skilled archer from the riverlands, and the Blackfish was shown to be a competent archer when he launched a fire arrow into Hoster's funeral boat where Edmure had failed. Brynden Rivers killed the first Blackfyre pretender and I think the one possibly named for him, Brynden Tully, will be the one to kill the last Blackfyre pretender. I can see Aegon trying something foolhardy like his forebear Daemon I did with a frontal assault on the vanguard made up of Valemen, and engaging in single combat with the Blackfish, who will likely be fighting alongside the Valemen, like Daemon Blackfyre fought with Gwayne Corbray, a member of the KG whose sigil was three black ravens, again like the black fish of Brynden.

That is actually pretty amusing to think on, heh.

This makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't call it crackpot at all.

I have to agree here. I've been a lurker since 2006, with few posts, but I've read countless crack pots. This is very plausible, and would explain a lot of who and why the Blackfish is who he is. Well done OP, well done.

I liked the theory until it came into Jon becoming the king. I just feel that would devastate Jon's character. (I could elaborate on this if someone wished so, but for now I keep it for myself since it's not relevant to the thread).

Also, Aegon is not a Blackfyre pretender. Even if he is of Blackfyre ancestry, he believes to be a Targaryen and goes by name Targaryen and since the Blackfyres have been legitimized, he has every right to do so (note that right to use the name does not mean right for the throne!). Even if he is "Blackfyre", he would not be a Blackfyre pretender, rather he would be the one who ended the Blackfyre line and returned himself into house Targaryen. House Blackfyre is gone and if Aegon is Blackfyre, it ended in much more shameful way that it would have by simply dying out - by its last member no longer associating himself with the house and declaring himself their old enemy instead.

Archived