What if Lyanna would have lived...

drstrangelove

Assuming R+L=J, what if lyanna lived. Jon would be the living heir to the Targ dynasty, with Lyanna then being forced into a loveless marriage with Robert. Their children would then be true born heirs to the Baretheon dynasty. Ned would take in Jon as his bastard as before. Only now the Lannisters have no in to the throne.

Then she couldn't be Ashara. Everyone who are dead is Ashara these days.

On a serious note: I don't see Robert being married to Lyanna after the Rebellion. I believe that Tywin would have demanded Robert to marry Cersei and he would managed it one way or another.

Then she couldn't be Ashara. Everyone who are dead is Ashara these days.

On a serious note: I don't see Robert being married to Lyanna after the Rebellion. I believe that Tywin would have demanded Robert to marry Cersei and he would managed it one way or another.

I can't imagine anyone preventing Robert from marrying Lyanna if she lives. And if push came to shove, Robert would go to war against the Lannisters in order to marry her.

What he'd do with Jon is another matter, though. There is just no way Ned or Lyanna would allow harm to come to the child. Ned might still claim the boy as his. The other thing is, based on what we know of Lyanna, I don't see her marrying Robert without Rickard to insist/force her/whatever, and specially after hearing Robert killed Rhaegar.

I can't imagine anyone preventing Robert from marrying Lyanna if she lives. And if push came to shove, Robert would go to war against the Lannisters in order to marry her.

I can imagine that death can prevent Robert from marrying Lyanna. She may survived ToJ but die in an *accident* or getting mysteriously ill...

• Ask her brother to protect her when she said "no".

Spill the entire story about Rhaegar, shoving it into Robert's face.

And then there is still the little matter of Rhaegar's son by her...

She couldn't say no imho and if she said she would have *persuaded* by all means, either by Ned either by blackmail.

She couldn't say no imho and if she said she would have *persuaded* by all means, either by Ned either by blackmail.

Who would do the blackmailing and over what? Brandon and Rickard are already dead, and Ned seems hardly the type to force his sister into a loveless marriage, especially knowing she's given birth to another man's child.

Who would do the blackmailing and over what? Brandon and Rickard are already dead, and Ned seems hardly the type to force his sister into a loveless marriage, especially knowing she's given birth to another man's child.

"Either you marry me or I kill Jon" or "Marry him because Dad and Brandon die for you", "Marry him because you created all this chaos and is your duty to make it right".

I think that R+L=J would have definitely destroyed any chances for Robert/Lyanna marriage. Lyanna died for narrative reasons, and R+L=J is just one of them...

I agree, Lyanna alive would've created more problems for Ned than dead. Ned would have to choose between his sister and her son and his king, Robert.

If Lyanna couldn't be forced to marry Robert the first time, what makes everyone think she would say "yes" the second time, especially since Robert has killed her husband?

"Either you marry me or I kill Jon" or "Marry him because Dad and Brandon die for you", "Marry him because you created all this chaos and is your duty to make it right".

Glad to see Robert would be set on starting his marriage on the best possible footing :) And Ned transforms into a brother who uses those kinds of tactics? It's a little hard to believe.

And thus, Robert dies in his bed a few years after the war ends. I just don't see Ned forcing Lyanna to marry against her will. On top, he's still mad to Robert due the dead of Elia and the children.

Heck, I could even see Ned declaring the independence of the North. Honour? It's not honourable to bend the knee to a child murderer, and Robert is as close as that as it gets.

Archived