Where are the Tarth levies in Renly's Army

KingofSothoryos

I don't recall her father ever disapproving of her lifestyle or choices. I always got the impression he was relatively supportive. In the show Renly says "you are all your father promised and more" - does he say that in the books? Can't remember

This line is taken from the books. Selwyn is extremely supportive of Brienne -- in fact, most of the disapproval/shame felt by Brienne is internal. She feels ashamed because she's not the kind of daughter her father 'deserves', while her father is so proud that he even brags about her to his overlord:

From the way he moved, the man within was no less battered. A few voices hailed him with cries of "Tarth!" and, oddly, "A Beauty! A Beauty!" but most were silent. The blue knight knelt before the king. "Grace," he said, his voice muffled by his dented greathelm.

"You are all your lord father claimed you were." Renly's voice carried over the field. "I've seen Ser Loras unhorsed once or twice . . . but never quite in that fashion."

As far as the guards go -- it's possible that the men who shouted "Tarth" are Tarth soldiers. Earlier in this chapter, we see that men wearing Tyrell colors shout out, "Highgarden!!" when Loras is fighting, which suggests to me that it might be a 'thing' that soldiers shout out the name of their overlords or castles in tournaments, kind of like a team cheer. I don't think Selwyn Tarth is wealthy enough to field a massive host -- the sapphire thing was a lie from Jaime Lannister.

Fact is Renly is being more supported by the reach than by his own bannermen...

Swann stayed in his castle, the same as Tarth. Estermonts are splited between the two brothers, with Lormas and Andrew siding with Stannis...As Stannis said most of them were just waiting to see who the winner was.

That says a lot of how much Stannis is respected. He is not their liego lord, he doesnt has the reach dozens and even so he is feared as a possible winner.

Nice speech. Not actually based on any truth, though.

Swann's heir was with Renly. So was Tarth's. So was Estermont's.

Going down the list: Bolling, Buckley, Fell, Gower, Grandison, Horpe, Morrigen, Peasebury, Penrose, Selmy, Staedmon, Tarth, Wensington, and Connington are are presumed to have supported Renly in the Wiki.

Whereas Stannis initially got House Seaworth. Wylde is with him at the BW, but no mention before.

Additionally we have Stannis complaining about Renly getting the support of all the houses he feels owe their allegiance to him. We have Renly siting their banners in the wind when meeting with Stannis:

Stannis: Do you think a few bolts of cloth will make you king?

Renly: Tyrell swords will make me king. Rowan and Tarly and Caron will make me king, with axe and mace and warhammer. Tarth arrows and Penrose lances, Fossoway, Cuy, Mullendore, Estermont, Selmy, Hightower, Oakheart, Crane, Caswell, Blackbar, Morrigen, Beesbury, Shermer, Dunn, Footly . . . even House Florent, your own wife’s brothers and uncles, they will make me king. All the chivalry of the south rides with me, and that is the least part of my power. My foot is coming behind, a hundred thousand swords and spears and pikes. And you will destroy me? With what, pray? That paltry rabble I see there huddled under the castle walls? I’ll call them five thousand and be generous, codfish lords and onion knights and sellswords. Half of them are like to come over to me before the battle starts. You have fewer than four hundred horse, my scouts tell me-freeriders in boiled leather who will not stand an instant against armored lances. I do not care how seasoned a warrior you think you are, Stannis, that host of yours won’t survive the first charge of my vanguard.[8]

Renly: Tyrell swords will make me king. Rowan and Tarly and Caron will make me king, with axe and mace and warhammer. Tarth arrows and Penrose lances, Fossoway, Cuy, Mullendore, Estermont, Selmy, Hightower, Oakheart, Crane, Caswell, Blackbar, Morrigen, Beesbury, Shermer, Dunn, Footly . . . even House Florent, your own wife’s brothers and uncles, they will make me king. All the chivalry of the south rides with me, and that is the least part of my power. My foot is coming behind, a hundred thousand swords and spears and pikes. And you will destroy me? With what, pray? That paltry rabble I see there huddled under the castle walls? I’ll call them five thousand and be generous, codfish lords and onion knights and sellswords. Half of them are like to come over to me before the battle starts. You have fewer than four hundred horse, my scouts tell me-freeriders in boiled leather who will not stand an instant against armored lances. I do not care how seasoned a warrior you think you are, Stannis, that host of yours won’t survive the first charge of my vanguard.[8]

Was looking for that quote. Definitively establishes that the Tarth soldiers were among Renly's power, though was there any confirmation on what happened to their forces after Renly died?

I got the impression that Tarth was broke and thinly peopled,

The Evenstar only offers 300 dragons for her ransom even though he loves her, supports her, and is his only child.

We do hear about some Tarth men here and there, but I don't think they have a whole lot to contribute.

Ok, even if Tarth is poorer than we might think at first, and has a very small population, I find it weird that a Lord wouldn't spare a knight to accompany his beloved daughter when she rides to war. Riding alone in war time is probably very, very dangerous. Even if his few men needed more time to prepare, why couldn't he send one knight and a squire to help her? Or anybody who can ride a horse at all?

I mean... Even the Osgrey guy, which is as poor as a landed knight can get, was able to have two knights at his disposal.

Martin probably wanted Brienne's experience to mirror Dunk's, but it's weird that she never mentions anyone from Tarth or any companion at all. When she fled after Renly's death it makes sense, but I believe we should know a little more about her relations.

I got the impression that Tarth was broke and thinly peopled,

The Evenstar only offers 300 dragons for her ransom even though he loves her, supports her, and is his only child.

We do hear about some Tarth men here and there, but I don't think they have a whole lot to contribute.

He may just be cash poor, he has assets lands, keeps, horses etc. But most of his taxes would be in the form of food and service. 300 is the most he has at short notice. Also I assume he left room to haggle. You never give your max as they might demand more and then you're screwed.

He may just be cash poor, he has assets lands, keeps, horses etc. But most of his taxes would be in the form of food and service. 300 is the most he has at short notice. Also I assume he left room to haggle. You never give your max as they might demand more and then you're screwed.

Seven hells. Even if we use 1/10 of the ridiculous exchange rate of the wiki - that seems quite realistic, cause 4 Dragons pay for a complete set of armor - 300 Dragons are half a million Dollars. I'd like to be "short in cash", too.

Seven hells. Even if we use 1/10 of the ridiculous exchange rate of the wiki - that seems quite realistic, cause 4 Dragons pay for a complete set of armor - 300 Dragons are half a million Dollars. I'd like to be "short in cash", too.

But it's all relative. Yes, the Tarths are quite rich compared to the average Westerosi. But compared to other noble Houses they fall short

Archived