Isn't Varys's next step to find Gendry?

The Fourth Head

In Connington's chapter it is abundantly clear that Aegon needs the support of more lords. Aegon is fighting against the Storm Lords, and as yet, has no allies. Dorne alone will not be enough, and unless Arianne is entirely stupid, has a fit of passion and marries Aegon to force Doran's hand, Martell will not want to rise for Aegon without standing a better chance of winning. He is the Brown Ben Plumm of Westeros.

We know that Varys paid to have Gendry released from Mott's smithy, and given his extensive spy network, and the fact that Gendry has been seen throughout the Riverlands, he probably has a fair idea where he is.

Surely an obvious and pressing move, is now that Aegon has declared himself as the rightful king, he is presented with Gendry and legitimises him.

This would give the Stormlands a new overlord- one who looks just like Renly or Robert. The Stormlands would be forced to choose between Tommen or Gendry in terms of who is Robert's rightful son, and parading Gendry in-front of them all at Storms End and having a great mummers show legitimising Gendry Baratheon as the true son of Robert Baratheon could surely be the next move needed to win the Stormlands to their cause. Afterall, I don't think they truly buy the idea that Tommen is Robert's son, or that the Lannisters had nothing to do with Robert's death. The Stormlords have a track record rebelling against Robert's alleged offspring- firstly with Reny and secondly with Stannis. could Gendry make a third? (that is, under the leadership of Aegon Targaryan?)

It would also carry on an interesting pattern- The Targaryans invaded westeros with the Baratheons and gifted them the Stormlands in reward. The Baratheons then overthrew the Targaryans before being brought down themselves. In true "wheels of time" spirit, this would be a repeat of previous- the Targaryans legitimising/gifting the Baratheons the Stormlands and together retaking westeros (only, this time, Aegon may be a secret Blackfyre, but that is a total aside!)

Almost all the Stormlands forces went either with the Tyrells to support Joffrey/Tommen or with Stannis after Renly died. All that's left is household guards and a few castle garrisons, which is part of the reason the Golden Company has been so successful.

I also sorta doubt Varys is getting reports about Gendry. Maybe, you never know. I think Varys believes that if Aegon can take King's Landing and offer an alternative to the current sloppy leadership the high lords will give him their support.

In terms of succession, you'd have a better chance turning Edric into the Lord of Storm's end. Gendry is an uneducated apprentice smith.

It doesn't change the fact that Shireen is alive and well and is the real heir to Storm's End.

On the other hand I don't see Aegon giving the Baratheons another chance since they were directly responsible for his family's downfall. JonCon will more likely be Aegon's choice for Storm's End

Well, in the Arianne TWOW spoilers

Doran seems to refer to Arianne's judgment to declare, or not for Aegon. So unless he was lying, the choice is up to Arianne, not Doran

As for Gendry, I don't know. He might be useful to as a not quite convincing evidence that Stannis' letters were right, but I'm not sure the Stormlords would accept being ruled by an apprentice smith, and a bastard on top. Gendry is pretty much a commoner, despite being Robert's bastard. Varys best shot at such a plan is, if he can find him, Edric Storm.

It would make more sense to find Edric Storm, who has been raised as close to being a noble as possible. Varys has given Edric more attention than Gendry (though Edric doesn't know it). It's likely that Edric was the bastard Varys wanted up his sleeve all along. Gendry knows nothing about lordship and probably wouldn't want to be a lord, anyway.

In terms of succession, you'd have a better chance turning Edric into the Lord of Storm's end. Gendry is an uneducated apprentice smith.

It doesn't change the fact that Shireen is alive and well and is the real heir to Storm's End.

On the other hand I don't see Aegon giving the Baratheons another chance since they were directly responsible for his family's downfall. JonCon will more likely be Aegon's choice for Storm's End

By legitimising Gendry, he is the son of Robert Baratheon. That would place him higher in the line of succession than Robert Baratheon's brother, or niece.

Edric Storm would be better, but do we know if Varys knows where he is? if he's hiding in Lys, it's ironic that Faegon and crew called in there and never picked him up. Talk about a missed opportunity!

It would make more sense to find Edric Storm, who has been raised as close to being a noble as possible. Varys has given Edric more attention than Gendry (though Edric doesn't know it). It's likely that Edric was the bastard Varys wanted up his sleeve all along. Gendry knows nothing about lordship and probably wouldn't want to be a lord, anyway.

What attention did Varys give him? I missed that to be fair.

Almost all the Stormlands forces went either with the Tyrells to support Joffrey/Tommen or with Stannis after Renly died. All that's left is household guards and a few castle garrisons, which is part of the reason the Golden Company has been so successful.

I also sorta doubt Varys is getting reports about Gendry. Maybe, you never know. I think Varys believes that if Aegon can take King's Landing and offer an alternative to the current sloppy leadership the high lords will give him their support.

I was under the impression their initial successes were due to the element of surprise, and of course, the fact that no individual StormLord commands a massive force. After losing on the blackwater, the Stormlords swore fealty to Tommen/Joffrey and went home- I though. So ever since ACOK, there has been a reasonable force in the Stormlands minus a strong Baratheon to unite them and rebel again.

Wow, I never thought about this. Although Edric has more "royal" blood - Florent/Baratheon - Gendry is big, tough, a knight, and can fight. Hmm...a man who appears to be strong, knightly, and a fighter. Sounds like Gendry is more like Robert than Edric (who seemed pampered and arrogant when we meet him).

Robert also just wanted to fight and never really wanted to be King. An interesting idea, but I can't see it happening.

Varys sent Edric presents every year on his birthday, Edric thought they were from his father. I personally don't think that this is in the cards. For 1 JonCon swore to end Robert Baratheons line, meaning kill all his children, not make them knights and lords. Aegon was also raised by JonCon, told about how Robert killed his father, stole his families kingdom, how his mother and sister were murdered. Aegon is a teenager, I do not see him simply getting over that right now. That being said, I do think that the smallfolk, or perhaps the 7, may eventually turn to Gendry. This would start in the Riverlands if anywhere, imo.

No. The Stormlords would look at Gendry and say "I don't know him," why should I rebel against the king and son (Tommen) of Robert Baratheon for a smith's apprentice knighted by an outlaw?

Really, Varys's time would be better spent subverting Reach Lords to his side, as that would both weaken the current ruling regime and strengthen his own forces.

And the best way to do that is to kill Tommen, to the despair of the kitten lovers and beet haters of Westeros. At this point, the Tyrells would very quickly abandon the Lannisters still in King's Landing, as they have never cared about the rightful succession, followed by their more powerful banner men. Should Aegon step up and marry the now thrice widowed Margaery, the road to King's Landing is practically an express way.

I think Gendry has a big role to play still, but not as a political pawn. Like people have said above, he's too rough and baseborn right now, and he's never even been in the Storm Lands, so I doubt any Storm Lords would rally around him. I think the theory that he may be the only smith left who can rework Valaryian steel could be true, or he could be the one to take over leadership of BwB once Stoneheart's time is up. I wouldn't rule out him being legitimized and given Storm's End by the end of the series, but that would be after the fighting is done, the dust has cleared and the snow has melted.

By legitimising Gendry, he is the son of Robert Baratheon. That would place him higher in the line of succession than Robert Baratheon's brother, or niece.

Edric Storm would be better, but do we know if Varys knows where he is? if he's hiding in Lys, it's ironic that Faegon and crew called in there and never picked him up. Talk about a missed opportunity!

> But why would Aegon ever legitimize the uneducated son of the man who killed his father? We've all seen that he could be a great king but would he really remain objective with the Baratheons?

Knowing Varys, he could very well be holding Edric for the time being and bring him forward when necessary. The same way Tyrek could be the continuation of the Lannisters. I still believe a victorious Aegon will want to give JonCon the Stormlands but the latter will refuse.

Making the nice poor bastard the lord of Storm's End seems a bit too much like a fantasy cliché for Martin. But on the other hand, the TV show made a point of sending him there and throwing him in a prison cell. Depending on how much they know that could be seen as some sort of foreshadowing.

^ Dragonstone not Storms End. But that is an interesting point, Gendry seems to have gotten a combination of both of their rolls on the show. Idk what to make of the fact that he is now in KL in the show. I'm not sure we can parallel show Gendry with book Gendry after that, but we can probably assume Edric is gone for good.

Gendry has a larger part to play, but not lordship. I'm for Arya and Gendry getting married and roaming around Westeros. Edric might be in Varys hands or he might not be. It wouldn't be too hard to put him as Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, especially to defy Stannis, but Dany probably would accept him and Aegon wouldn't be too concerned with a bastard unless that brought him support.

Archived