Exercise and fitness: Winter is coming but don't hibernate

Lany Freelove Cassandra

Hey, thread. You know how the title of this is "Winter is coming....don't hibernate," right? Guess what? I've hibernated.

I am so unmotivated at this point it's pathetic. I cannot even muster the willingness to try and get motivated, although I must secretly want to be motivated, because I'm posting here knowing that Stego, Balefont, and Luke are going to let me have it.

I haven't run in three days. I haven't done weights in over a week. All I want to do is lie under the electric blanket and watch Battlestar Galactica.

I need an intervention.

Use the BSG as a reward for having done the workouts.

I know I have to do the workouts first thing in the morning. Once my butt hits the couch, it is too late. When are you trying to work out?

I run in the a.m. I've been off, so if I got my run in around 9am or so, it was no big deal. Now, I'm back at work and getting up at 4:30am is so hard after being off for 10 straight days. I've gotten really lax with the whole discipline thing. I set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. this morning and it didn't happen.

I'm going to set my phone up tonight so that I have to actually get out of bed to shut it off. That way, I won't wimp out.

i'm considering what to do during january regarding exercise.

my time slots are being rapidly filled with all kinds of "must dos" and "can't skips", all the paperwork regarding my new appartment should be finished in january and my work schedule is getting increasingly crowded.

i'm seriously thinking of taking a month off if no other solution comes to mind.

the good thing is that my swimming sessions are at 9.30p.m. and i get most of my work done by then.

Hey, thread. You know how the title of this is "Winter is coming....don't hibernate," right? Guess what? I've hibernated.

I am so unmotivated at this point it's pathetic. I cannot even muster the willingness to try and get motivated, although I must secretly want to be motivated, because I'm posting here knowing that Stego, Balefont, and Luke are going to let me have it.

I haven't run in three days. I haven't done weights in over a week. All I want to do is lie under the electric blanket and watch Battlestar Galactica.

I need an intervention.

A week?! Ha, I've been hibernating for at least a month now!

For me, I decided to take Stego's advice upthread and just do 30 burpees every day. I can't manage to make myself to work out right now, but I can take 10 minutes before I shower to do some burpees and stretches. I've only been doing it for 3 days and it's kind of sad how sore I am. Hopefully when I get back from vacation, I'll be able to actually do some full workouts!

I have a totally TMI question for people who have lost a lot of weight:

I have lost 25 pounds so far and a lot of it is from my mid-section. Now my belly is more saggy, a big round ball that doesn't feel as attached as it was before. Not sure if I am describing this right. It is like my baby belly, empty, just hanging there. Problem is when I work out now, it flops around as much as if I wasn't wearing a bra and is just as uncomfortable. I have taken to wearing spandex type shorts to help "hold it" in and this helps, but I only have one pair.

What I want to know is, has this happened to anyone else? How long did it last? What did you do about it?

(and I will buy another pair of spandex shorts, a little on the tight side so I can wear them for a while)

I have a totally TMI question for people who have lost a lot of weight:

I have lost 25 pounds so far and a lot of it is from my mid-section. Now my belly is more saggy, a big round ball that doesn't feel as attached as it was before. Not sure if I am describing this right. It is like my baby belly, empty, just hanging there. Problem is when I work out now, it flops around as much as if I wasn't wearing a bra and is just as uncomfortable. I have taken to wearing spandex type shorts to help "hold it" in and this helps, but I only have one pair.

What I want to know is, has this happened to anyone else? How long did it last? What did you do about it?

(and I will buy another pair of spandex shorts, a little on the tight side so I can wear them for a while)

I think most people who lose significant amount of weight experience something similar. It sounds like you have more fat to lose combined possibly with some loose skin. Keep losing more fat and it will improve a lot. However, you might have some loose skin that may or may not tighten up based on how much loose skin, age, skin elasticity (genetics), etc.

Edit: It took me about 1 year and gaining 15-20 pounds of muscle for my excess loose skin to tighten up. I lost about 100 pounds, though. Results obviously vary.

I think most people who lose significant amount of weight experience something similar. It sounds like you have more fat to lose combined possibly with some loose skin. Keep losing more fat and it will improve a lot. However, you might have some loose skin that may or may not tighten up based on how much loose skin, age, skin elasticity (genetics), etc.

Edit: It took me about 1 year and gaining 15-20 pounds of muscle for my excess loose skin to tighten up. I lost about 100 pounds, though. Results obviously vary.

Thank you. My total to lose is 82 pounds. I lost next to nothing last year, even though I gained visible muscles. Obviously there was fat loss and muscle gain, but this is the first time I have this problem (I have lost this much weight before, and also without this problem).

I also think I might be better fit, working harder than previously (ok, I hope this is true :P)

on a health side, by the end of last year (before the actual weight loss) my bp had dropped to 110/60. Made me feel 20 again ;) (which I think shows the workouts were helping, even if the weight hadn't yet come off)

Some folks, that loose skin will never go away. I dated a woman once that had lost considerable 100+lbs of weight, and she eventually had surgery to get rid of the loose skin on her stomach and arms by removal, and on her breasts via implants. Other folks it goes away almost immediately, and other other folks it takes years. YMMV.

A week?! Ha, I've been hibernating for at least a month now!

For me, I decided to take Stego's advice upthread and just do 30 burpees every day. I can't manage to make myself to work out right now, but I can take 10 minutes before I shower to do some burpees and stretches. I've only been doing it for 3 days and it's kind of sad how sore I am. Hopefully when I get back from vacation, I'll be able to actually do some full workouts!

They are a great overall body effort, so I can completely understand the being sore. And randomly finding bruises from the throw myself on the floor like I'm having a tantrum part of the burpee.

In the Army we called them squat thrust....add a push-up and a jump

They also get called "up-downs". And "9th layer of hell". But man are they good.

Since it's the start of the year...goals. For those on FB, you've seen them:

30 burpees every day.

90 burpees in 3 minutes (no workout)

60 burpees in 3 minutes (post Filthy Fifty workout)

Dunk a basketball again (yes on a 10ft hoop. in the garbage can doesn't count)

I run in the a.m. I've been off, so if I got my run in around 9am or so, it was no big deal. Now, I'm back at work and getting up at 4:30am is so hard after being off for 10 straight days. I've gotten really lax with the whole discipline thing. I set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. this morning and it didn't happen.

I'm going to set my phone up tonight so that I have to actually get out of bed to shut it off. That way, I won't wimp out.

Are you dead set on getting up at such a godforsaken time to exercise?!

In 8th grade I held the school record for burpees. Cool story, me-bro!

Dude.

Fer reals? Like, totes you were the burpee king? Amazeballs.

Cool story.

We need to get the Like button back for shit like this.

Are you dead set on getting up at such a godforsaken time to exercise?!

There is nothing wrong with getting up at that time to work out. it's perfectly natural.

It is totally natural. So is cyanide.

Precisely.

Me, if that were my chosen workout time, I'd rarely, if ever, be motivated to workout. ;) (Besides, most WODs render me utterly useless for the rest of the day so I'm better off doing them in the evening.)

Precisely.

Me, if that were my chosen workout time, I'd rarely, if ever, be motivated to workout. ;) (Besides, most WODs render me utterly useless for the rest of the day so I'm better off doing them in the evening.)

I didn't say it was a good idea or fun, just natural. :P

that's the problem we're trying to overcome - how can we schedule time to go to a gym given the time restrictions we have. If a local box had a daycare/babysitting service available, we'd probably make it work. Course the trade off there is giving up time with Boy - if I workout at godawful o'clock in the morning, he is still sleeping.

Archived