Emeralds

J. Stargaryen

Wow pretty crazy stuff with all this. As in connecting the dots. I was directed here by way of the Heresy thread. Has anyone thought to take into account House Massey's sigil the triple spiral that is Red, Green, and Blue and trickling in other aspects of the of the story like the religions, deities, planets, and including this work on rubies, emerals, and sapphires?

Wow pretty crazy stuff with all this. As in connecting the dots. I was directed here by way of the Heresy thread. Has anyone thought to take into account House Massey's sigil the triple spiral that is Red, Green, and Blue and trickling in other aspects of the of the story like the religions, deities, planets, and including this work on rubies, emerals, and sapphires?

The thing that keeps me guessing is that when we see three colors we should see green and blue and black, not red. But still, Daenerys could represented by either red or black in this tricolor scheme. When we see two colors we should see black and red or black and green.

I did notice the Massey sigil a while back, but I haven't connected it to anything.

The thing that keeps me guessing is that when we see three colors we should see green and blue and black, not red. But still, Daenerys could represented by either red or black in this tricolor scheme. When we see two colors we should see black and red or black and green.

Not necessarily, because they don't mean exactly the same thing. The green/black usurper/rightful claimant dichotomy works inside of the red-blue-green color scheme. I think this is because r-b-g hint at separate dynasties, whereas the green/black stuff hints an intra-dynastic conflict.

After reading this thread, it made me love details like Cersei thinking Joffrey was conceived on Greenstone even more.

I just noticed that myself. Was going to mention it in a different thread.

It might also be worth noting that Jaime takes to calling the castle "Greenshit," which is interesting to me since "shit" seems to pop up somewhat regularly with the Lannisters. It's likened to Jaime's honor and their gold/wealth. Also, Tyrion was put in charge of the sewers at the Rock, Tywin died on the privy, etc.

After reading this thread, it made me love details like Cersei thinking Joffrey was conceived on Greenstone even more.

I just noticed that myself. Was going to mention it in a different thread.

It might also be worth noting that Jaime takes to calling the castle "Greenshit," which is interesting to me since "shit" seems to pop up somewhat regularly with the Lannisters. It's likened to Jaime's honor and their gold/wealth. Also, Tyrion was put in charge of the sewers at the Rock, Tywin died on the privy, etc.

Another interesting thing about Cersei thinking of Greenstone is that in the next paragraph she puts on a black and green dress.

The words stung. You called me kinder words at Greenstone, the night you planted Joff inside me, Cersei thought. “Get out.” She turned her back to him and listened to him leave, fumbling at the door with his stump.

Whilst Jocelyn was making certain that all was in readiness for the supper, Dorcas helped the queen into her new gown. It had stripes of shiny green satin alternating with stripes of plush black velvet, and intricate black Myrish lace above the bodice.

- AFfC, Cersei V

I mentioned Edward of Woodstock, aka the Black Prince, up thread, and how I think he was partially an inspiration for Rhaegar. Black armor, ruby/rubies, crown prince who predeceased his father, etc. There is an old interview from just after ASoS was released where GRRM mentions him. Not that there could have been any doubt about his familiarity with the person, but just thought I'd post it here. - Link

From the beginning, I knew that treachery was an important part of what I was writing about, and I had some of the broad strokes in mind. There was a similar dichotomy in the real world between a belief in chivalry and the savage things people actually did to each other most of the time. Look at Richard the First, or the Black Prince; the Black Prince lavishly entertained the captured Frenck King after Poitiers but put towns to sack on other occasions. I like to paint in shades of grey.

• 3 weeks later...

Another hint that the North will side with Daenerys...

"I know what I said, Uncle. It does not change what I must do." The swords in his crown stood stark and black against his brow. "In battle I might have slain Tion and Willem myself, but this was no battle. They were asleep in their beds, naked and unarmed, in a cell where I put them. Rickard Karstark killed more than a Frey and a Lannister. He killed my honor. I shall deal with him at dawn."

Catelyn III, Storm

Another hint that the North will side with Daenerys...

Catelyn III, Storm

I'm not really sure about this, tbh. It just seems like a random mention of the color black.

Also, I've been starting to wonder if Jon doesn't represent the blue and the black, with possibly both Dany and fAegon representing the green. This blue + black for Jon would provide a nice compare and contrast to the mentions of Rhaegar in his black plate armor + ruby sigil.

He could hear her still at times. Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister’s eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black. - AGoT, Eddard I

[...]

A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death. - AGoT, Eddard X

So, those dead and black rose petals were likely once blue. Or, at least, GRRM wants us to associate blue and black roses with the ToJ. And then there are the connections to Ser Loras at the TotH, who I think is being used as a sort of symbolic avatar for Jon in those scenes. Analysis here. Small addition here.

@ J. Stargaryen: I actually meant to post that in another thread. Jon is for sure the blue, almost exclusively. And he's sometimes black, but so are Daenerys and Aegon depending on the context. I think the Loras connection is a bit too strained, but that's just my opinion and I appreciate your arguments as always. That line about blue as the eyes of death seems to relate to the Others, no? (Possibly a dual association...)

@ J. Stargaryen: I actually meant to post that in another thread. Jon is for sure the blue, almost exclusively. And he's sometimes black, but so are Daenerys and Aegon depending on the context. I think the Loras connection is a bit too strained, but that's just my opinion and I appreciate your arguments as always. That line about blue as the eyes of death seems to relate to the Others, no? (Possibly a dual association...)

You think the Ser Loras stuff is too strained, but the quote about Robb's crown somehow connected to Dany? Come on, man. :P

So, I had a realization of another green/black pairing: Shaggydog, who alone of the direwolves has green eyes, which are paired with black fur. This might suggest that Rickon will be involved in intradynastic conflict up North. Plenty of people have already speculated that this might happen, of course, but J. Stargaryen's analysis of the black/green motif seems to bolster that possibility.

So, I had a realization of another green/black pairing: Shaggydog, who alone of the direwolves has green eyes, which are paired with black fur. This might suggest that Rickon will be involved in intradynastic conflict up North. Plenty of people have already speculated that this might happen, of course, but J. Stargaryen's analysis of the black/green motif seems to bolster that possibility.

Shaggydog definitely stands out as an example of green and black. If it wasn't mentioned here, it was definitely mentioned in this thread focusing solely on green and black. If it has to do with Winterfell/KitN, I suppose it means that either Jon or Sansa will be claimants, when Rickon would normally be the heir. Something like that. Or, it could be that he gets caught up in the DotD2 somehow.

Shaggydog definitely stands out as an example of green and black. If it wasn't mentioned here, it was definitely mentioned in this thread focusing solely on green and black. If it has to do with Winterfell/KitN, I suppose it means that either Jon or Sansa will be claimants, when Rickon would normally be the heir. Something like that. Or, it could be that he gets caught up in the DotD2 somehow.

Another really intriguing fact about Shaggydog is that Shaggydog's eyes are green, Ghost's are red, and the rest's are gold...

"In a sense. Those you call the children of the forest have eyes as golden as the sun, but once in a great while one is born amongst them with eyes as red as blood, or green as the moss on a tree in the heart of the forest. By these signs do the gods mark those they have chosen to receive the gift. The chosen ones are not robust, and their quick years upon the earth are few, for every song must have its balance. But once inside the wood they linger long indeed. A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. Greenseers."

Bran III, Dance

• 4 months later...

Additional "green" descriptions of Renly from ACoK, Catelyn II.

Small wonder the lords gather around him with such fervor, she thought, he is Robert come again. Renly was handsome as Robert had been handsome; long of limb and broad of shoulder, with the same coal-black hair, fine and straight, the same deep blue eyes, the same easy smile. The slender circlet around his brows seemed to suit him well. It was soft gold, a ring of roses exquisitely wrought; at the front lifted a stag’s head of dark green jade, adorned with golden eyes and golden antlers.

Renly's crown, which is also described in the OP, though I hadn't noted it, since I was focusing on the word emerald(s). The head of the stag on Renly's crown being dark jade green fits with the theme. The stag being the sigil of House Baratheon, the royal House, yet Renly is not the Baratheon royal heir or rightful king.

The crowned stag decorated the king’s green velvet tunic as well, worked in gold thread upon his chest; the Baratheon sigil in the colors of Highgarden. The girl who shared the high seat with him was also of Highgarden: his young queen, Margaery, daughter to Lord Mace Tyrell. Their marriage was the mortar that held the great southron alliance together, Catelyn knew. Renly was one-and-twenty, the girl no older than Robb, very pretty, with a doe’s soft eyes and a mane of curling brown hair that fell about her shoulders in lazy ringlets. Her smile was shy and sweet.

Thematically, I think adopting the colors of House Tyrell also fits rather well with the OP's premise. Not only because of the Tyrell green, -- which itself is arguably not a coincidence considering their role in the story -- but because Renly is not pressing a Baratheon claim to the throne, per se. Rather, he's allied with one of the richest and most powerful Houses in Westeros, and is pressing a claim of strength.

Not that we didn't already know these things, but I thought it was interesting how the underlined part tells us a lot in just a few words.

• 5 months later...

I can't read all teh previous staff in the topic sorry but I wonder if House Strong's sigil includes both blue,red and green lines, can we assume that during second dance a member of this house can be important (I saw a post that Marwyn can be a Strong). Or they just preferred the sigil for symbolizing the Trident.

• 1 month later...

I can't read all teh previous staff in the topic sorry but I wonder if House Strong's sigil includes both blue,red and green lines, can we assume that during second dance a member of this house can be important (I saw a post that Marwyn can be a Strong). Or they just preferred the sigil for symbolizing the Trident.

I didn't see this until just now. Sorry! To answer your question, I would definitely lean towards the latter. However, it's next to impossible to be sure that there's no symbolism involved. So, there's always a chance. Did you have any ideas?

Archived