NBC's Hannibal II: A Hollow Drumming of Wings [SPOILERS]

Anatúrinbor

Previous thread locked.

Spoilers ahead.

According to The AV Club's review of the first two episodes of season 2: Hannibal seems intent on becoming TVs best show. [again, some spoilers inside].

Hannibal is living proof that the fun of TV can be as much about process as results, and if the first two episodes of season two are any indication, then it has its sights set on nothing less than becoming the best show on TV.

[...]

Most of all, though, Hannibal follows the lead of that teaser: What was a dull roar in season one is now an existential howl out of the demonic dark. The monsters are out from under the bed, and theres no putting them back there.

Over the top? We'll see.

Season 2 premieres tonight. I can't wait.

They moved it to friday night? Isn't that bad?

Yeah, it is generally where shows go to die. Sometimes, like with Fringe, they can sustain for another season or so but the 6 or 7 season arc they were talking about for Hannibal last years still doesn't look realistic.

Yeah, it is generally where shows go to die. Sometimes, like with Fringe, they can sustain for another season or so but the 6 or 7 season arc they were talking about for Hannibal last years still doesn't look realistic.

I hope if it does die on NBC it stays alive elsewhere. I assume it's the same as last season where it's not as big a deal for NBC because it's co-financed with some foreign productions, but I remember when there was talk of not renewing it, it was said several other places were interested in taking it on, including at least one cable network (which a lot of people assumed was Showtime, as their Dexter replacement).

Planning a six season arc on TV seems optimistic regardless of time slot tbh.

Plus when you know it's show made by Bryan Fuller, who have a reputation of show getting canceled. A lot of people are not optimistic.

That was one hell of an opening scene, had me going "WTF!!?!" the whole time. Last season started off on much more of a slow burn iirc.

I love this show, but I know deep down it will be cancelled before it can run its course. Hopefully the showrunners have taken this likely situation into account and have a suitable ending ready.

The spoilery nature of the trailers can be forgiven considering it was the opening scene. Can't wait for the show to catch up to that "12 weeks later" intro - although I could easily see that being the season finale. Although I secretly hope the pacing will be faster.

I'd forgotten how arty this show looks. Once again we are presented with a pretty horrifying scene but it still looks like one of those nude models art-pieces. The same goes for the food preparations - I'd love to have one of those meals (as long as they change the human ingredients). They should really do a "hannibal cook book". I was also reminded of how beautiful everything is in this show and having Gillian Anderson on the show only confirms that. She's one of those lucky people who seem to look better with every year.

I'm pleased the other serial killer wasn't a done-in-one. I'd much prefer they avoid that and if they do have other serial killers to have them as mini-arcs.

Mads Mikkelsen kills every scene he is in. Every single action of his conveys this supernatural elegance and his delevery of lines seems so innocent yet laced with threats. I particularly enjoyed how I could pick up his disgust at having the other psychiatrist over for dinner whilst appearing jovial and polite. I really didn't think anyone could top Anthony Hopklns' portrayal but Mads has taken it in such a different direction it has me wondering. Maybe Hannibal is just one of those characters that a good actor can excel with - much like Sherlock and Doctor Who?

The slow burn was something that worked so well in season1. I doubt they will complety change that, even thought they have more tension already built beceause of season 1.

This show is really beautiful and horrifying. I really impatient to see how they will lay the intrigue especially with that opening scene.

A good episode, although too much 'setting up the pieces' to be great.

Is it weird that in a show where a serial killer is making art out of tens if not hundreds of people in a grain silo, and another is force-feeding people ears while they sleep, the thing that broke my suspension of disbelief was that Hannibal apparently managed to pass person off as fish?

Mads Mikkelsen does indeed own every scene he's in. I really wonder what's going on with Gillian Anderson's character -he's clearly got something over her, but she obviously doesn't know, for certain, though she's definitely frightened of him now.

Yeah i doubt the way the body are displayed or killed in the show is possible for one person without getting discovered. But it give a surealist, aspect of the show. And the show can be very fairy tail like.

For Bedelia, she has doubt on Hannibal, it was hinted t, the preview only comfirm it. But she is trapped and i think she became to realise you have to be careful with Hannibal.

The set-up at the end is supposed to look like an eye, right?

That's what it looked like to me. Not sure if that's what the killer is going for as I assume the container has a lid on it. HAve to say the "colour palette" was darkly comical.

I don't know, it seems as if Grimm is doing well, so a Friday lineup of Grimm followed by Hannibal could work well.

I missed this show starting up, so I was suprised when I flipped over to tv from my xbox to watch enlisted, I saw Morpheus and Hannibal fighting, lol. Immediately hit record and hoped I didn't miss to much.

At first I thought it would be a dream sequence of Will's or hannibal's, but the 12 weeks earlier tag really sets this season up as a great cat and mouse game between Jack and hannibal.

Is it weird that in a show where a serial killer is making art out of tens if not hundreds of people in a grain silo, and another is force-feeding people ears while they sleep, the thing that broke my suspension of disbelief was that Hannibal apparently managed to pass person off as fish?

There is some info here.

Bryan had asked for thoughts on Kaiseki and asked if any part of human flesh looks like sliced flounder. I responded that there are several formulae for bleaching flesh developed mainly for the poultry industry because consumers prefer breast meat to thigh. (A bit of hydrogen pyroxide is all it takes to bleach those low-rent thighs so they look just like breast meat!)

I just watch this for the prettiness at this point. The buzzing, weird electro music/noise/siren sounds almost drowning out conversations, the long, lingering shots of perfectly composed stillness, the silent faces conveying layers of information that never makes into words, the occasional nature shots with their shockingly warm, autumnal color palette ...I just gave up pretending I cared about the plot and now it's just the visual equivalant of a TS Eliot poem, and it's good, but then it will suddenly be too much, take it a little too far, be a little too pleased with itself, and it just becomes funny again - not darkly funny, not gallows humor, just silly. And then it slides back. It's better than last season, anyway. I giggled my way through that from the moment the mushrooms showed up. I don't even know anymore. Well, it passed the time.

Archived