Difference between book readers and show watchers...?

TheBreadWedding

I don't know many Unsullied, but for anything they don't "get" about the show I would be more inclined to blame the writers rather than them. The babble I read on the internet sometimes does massage my ego though. :p

I just kinda don't understand people who are theoretically hooked by the story, but refuse to go and find out the details (aka read the books).

Some simply don't like reading, others would rather watch first then read later, because they know the books will be better. The smart ones are those who won't read until the final book is released, so they don't have to lose their sanity in wait around on a forum like this to get their fix.

I actually find book readers far more annoying than the unsullied. It's the book readers who love lording it over the unsullied because they know what's going to happen. It's the book readers who are constantly giving away spoilers. It's the book readers who constantly point out how bad a job D+D are doing because they haven't done things exactly as they like (conveniently ignoring the fact that they've made a massively successful adaptation). It's the book readers who seem to be annoyingly obsessive (either pro-Stannis or anti-Dany).

You get your fair share of annoying unsullied but I've read show-only blogs with quite an intelligent level of discussion and where people seem far more impressed with the character dynamics between Tyrion/Twyin/Cersei etc. than they are with Khaleesi and her dragons.

One more thing - why are book-readers so snobbish about the unsullied calling Dany Khaleesi? It's just easier to remember than Daenerys Targaryan. Us book readers have read the name hundreds of times so it's easy for us to remember, but if the unsullied want to call her Khaleesi I couldn't care less.

I'm with Kienn, northernmonkey, and Stannis Eats No Peaches on this. There's a high level of snobbery toward the Unsullied that is hugely annoying in and of itself. Why do we call them that? Does anybody know?

So some of the TV watching population misses the nuances of character development. I've got news for you, that's not because they're watching the TV show, those people wouldn't pick up on it anyway. Not everyone is into analysis. That goes for book readers too. Not everybody is going to be interested enough to spend hours going over plot points. This forum is filled with dedicated fans who are interested enough. That doesn't mean all the book readers are like that.

My mother happens to be one of the unsullied and she comes up with insights I haven't even seen anybody on these forums mention. So I don't buy the idea that you can't possibly understand the story just from the show.

Difference between book readers and show watchers? Some read the books, some watch the show. And some people actually do both.

I watched the 1st 2 seasons then started reading the books all in 3 months. Im an avid book reader but have never read fantasy before, it didnt interest me, but l love the depth of GRRM's storytelling.

For me it's simply you are either a reader or not & ( a bit condescending l know) but feel sorry for people who dont enjoy reading but can understand it (sort of). I DO love that the buzz from the shows has meant that many, many people are now reading the books & may become book lovers

i liked the Unsullied, because i have a feeling that i'm smarter them. lol

also i have an advantage in spoilers.

but yes some of them are really annoying. especially when they are hating Jaime, when they have no idea who is Stannis :bang: and when they call Dany Khaleesi.

"But then again, I don't even understand people who use audiobooks..."

My husband is dyslexic, has farsightedness which gives him migraines when he reads too long at a time, and works min. 12 hour days. The only way/time for him to "read" is via audiobooks between worksites and business meetings, and given his disabilities obviously he is not a reader by nature. He began them before the first tv season was ever aired, just to share the experience with me... So maybe let's not be real judgmental about audiobooks? Not everyone *can* sit down and read 5,000 pages.

I also don't get the animosity toward show viewers. To me, the book version of *anything* has always been a completely separate entity from the film version. Some people like one, some prefer the other, and some enjoy both. Why does everyone have to row in the same boat? Are you somehow being injured, or your enjoyment of show or books diminished, because everyone is not also into both? If so, then I would submit that it's your problem, not theirs.

If you have friends who constantly question you about things they don't understand or whatever, simply saying "if you want to understand all the nuances, you really have to read the books - there's no way I can 'fill you in' on five one-thousand-page novels" should do the trick.

Otherwise this really strikes me as just a way for people to feel superior to others, and due to something very... um... "Unsuperior."

As person who read the books and watches the show

I find many of the book readers are so overly reliant on the books that they miss whats happening in front of them on the TV.

I also find the book readers prone to far fetched conspiracy theories.

Got to love when one of the most liked Youtube comments on the RW scene is "Khaleesi will burn them all with her dragons and avenge the Starks."

I really want the show to give Dany that 'traitors death' line about Ned and 'Usurpers dog' comment. However, I can't see this happening when Ned was the only one to rival her unsullied love so they won't dirty her up by bad mouthing Sean Bea- Ned.

My unsullied friend didn't realise that the 'Mad King' Jaime was talking about was Dany's father so the better thing about being a book reader is that you know all the background history.

Unsullied favourites- Khaleesi, Ned, Arya and Tyrion...also Bronn and The Hound.

Book reader favourites- Stannis, Jon, Sansa and Jaime....although, much more diverse.

The difference in opinions of Stannis and Dany for book readers and show-only watchers is striking. Dany is adored by Unsullied but gets allot of hate by book readers and the opposite for Stannis.

I find many of the book readers are so overly reliant on the books that they miss whats happening in front of them on the TV.

Yeah, happens to me, too. I was absently watching S03E06 with my gf when suddenly, a wild Melisandre appears! ...and meets Thoros of Myr?! I was like what in seven hells, rewind that shit!

I don't mind Unsullied much. I actually love it. For once you can feel a little bit like the author/producer that knows what's going to happen. It's fun for a change, makes me feel wise, especially when they come to ask me for advice. I'm the mother of my Unsullied. I teach them, I guide then, I protect them from spoilers :D

Something I find funny about it: the most radical "shut up and read the books" people I know, are the ones that started out as Unsullied themselves. I often compare it to smokers, the ones that used to smoke are the ones that complain most after having quit. :D

"Unsullied favourites- Khaleesi, Ned, Arya and Tyrion...also Bronn and The Hound."

Look at the bright side! At least (most) internet posts involving their faves are not written about Caleezie, Aria, Tirian, and Brawn!

I have read the books and for the longest use to think as most book readers on here as pompous smug assholes...I sort of still feel that way. But ever since season 4 has started I've noticed myself behaving more like a "book purist" like the scene at the purple wedding when joff slices the pie/cake and doves fly out anyone notice that tywin is smiling and clapping??!! Lol idk why but that tic'd me off lol

Same here. The Unsullied piss me off most times, they don't seem to comprehend anything about the story beyond the most "on the surface" things like you said. For example, one asked me who's going to become king now that Joffrey's dead, and when I answered they had no idea who Tommen was, or even if Joffrey had a brother at all. I mean, dude, there was a whole scene at season 2 with Cersei and Tommen talking, and a scene with Joffrey giving Tommen crap about crying. How can you forget that? And that's nothing compared to some other pieces of idiocy I've heard from Unsullied.

Or calling Daenerys "Khaleesi". That's beyond retarded.

Well its Jorahs fault for call her "Khaleesi" about 22? times while she was only called Daenerys about twice so you can't really fault them for that.

Best way to put it is to ask a reader what they think of Rhaegar, and to ask a show watcher the same question. One could give you a detailed essay, and the other would maybe be able to tell you that he is Dany's oldest brother and that Robert killed him.

The point: Readers of the series get all of the wonderful details of past characters, minor characters, and an abundance of interesting history.

My better half isn't a reader, so I for one am glad we can both share it together, albeit with a lot of explaining on my behalf.

I find myself explaining a lot to my dad as well. I'll watch the show live, and watch it with him the next day when it's on demand and I'm constantly pausing it to explain to him why certain things are happening. He's probably thinking 'Will you just shut the hell up and play the damn show.'

Archived