Is Jon named after Jon Arryn, or Jon Connington?

Neds Dead Baby

But is he Jon or Jonothor? There is a Jonothor Darry, and they call him Jon. There is also a John, John the Fiddler.

I don't know but I think JonCon will definitely go to the Wall to meet Jon. He will live long enough to see the Usurper's line wiped out and Rhaegar's son on the throne. He failed the father, he will not fail the son.

:agree:

He was named after Jon Arryn, since GRRM confirmed he was named by Ned.

But I do think this will come around back to Connington in some way. I think as soon as Aegon takes over King's Landing (end of Winds of Winter), Connington will immediately assume the position of Hand of the King. He will begin reading letters from around the kingdoms, and a raven will land in Pycelle's former solar. It will be a message from Jon Snow that Wall has fallen and to send everyone to defend the Seven Kingdoms from the Others. Connington, who has grown increasingly more suspicious of Aegon throughout the novel, finally puts it together: Aegon is a fake, and Jon Snow is Rhaegar's true son, and that Rhaegar actually loved him enough to name his son after him.

When he gets up to warn everyone, he collapses and realized he's been given poisoned wine. Varys enters telling him that he served his purpose well, but his role is at an end. The Blackfyres now rule King's Landing, and he thanks Jon for his part in it. He then says that he will remove the Targaryens legacy permanently when he takes care of both Dany and Jon Snow, who Varys knows who he actually is. Varys then proceeds to smother him with a pillow, and Jon dies thinking of Rhaegar and how he truly loved him enough to name his heir and savior of the realm after him.

I don't know but I think JonCon will definitely go to the Wall to meet Jon. He will live long enough to see the Usurper's line wiped out and Rhaegar's son on the throne. He failed the father, he will not fail the son.

I think that will be the tragedy that JonCon will die with. He helped the wrong son, and it will consume him moments before his death. I doubt Connington and Jon ever meet.

A bit Crackpot, but I think that Jaime will join with Aegon in order to save Tommen and get him the Westerlands. Unfortunately for Jaime, Tommen will have already been poisoned by Cersei when he comes for him, and Jaime will kill Cersei in rage. Due to kinslaying, Jaime will be instead imprisoned to be executed. Connington knows that he must handle things in the Capital, so be sends Jaime forward with the mission to save Rhaegar's son and serve him in his place. Shortly after Jaime escapes, Varys will kill him, knowing that he has outlived his usefulness.

He was named after Jon Arryn, since GRRM confirmed he was named by Ned.

But I do think this will come around back to Connington in some way. I think as soon as Aegon takes over King's Landing (end of Winds of Winter), Connington will immediately assume the position of Hand of the King. He will begin reading letters from around the kingdoms, and a raven will land in Pycelle's former solar. It will be a message from Jon Snow that Wall has fallen and to send everyone to defend the Seven Kingdoms from the Others. Connington, who has grown increasingly more suspicious of Aegon throughout the novel, finally puts it together: Aegon is a fake, and Jon Snow is Rhaegar's true son, and that Rhaegar actually loved him enough to name his son after him.

When he gets up to warn everyone, he collapses and realized he's been given poisoned wine. Varys enters telling him that he served his purpose well, but his role is at an end. The Blackfyres now rule King's Landing, and he thanks Jon for his part in it. He then says that he will remove the Targaryens legacy permanently when he takes care of both Dany and Jon Snow, who Varys knows who he actually is. Varys then proceeds to smother him with a pillow, and Jon dies thinking of Rhaegar and how he truly loved him enough to name his heir and savior of the realm after him.

I like, but I think JonCon and Jon Snow will meet at some point. And he will see something about him that the rest didn't, something like Brienne recognising Genry immediately.

Ned named Jon, and as such, I think it's safe to presume that the namesake is Jon Arryn. There has also been at least one Jon Stark as well, historically.

If Rhaegar had named Jon, I'd think first and foremost he'd have give him a Valyrian name, perhaps Viserys (expecting a Visenya but getting a boy). If he were to name him after a friend, I think that Arthur, Myles and Richard could all feasibly come before Connington in the "pecking order." I'm on the side that thinks Connington's friendship with Rhaegar was largely one-sided.

Ned named Jon, and as such, I think it's safe to presume that the namesake is Jon Arryn. There has also been at least one Jon Stark as well, historically.

If Rhaegar had named Jon, I'd think first and foremost he'd have give him a Valyrian name, perhaps Viserys (expecting a Visenya but getting a boy). If he were to name him after a friend, I think that Arthur, Myles and Richard could all feasibly come before Connington in the "pecking order." I'm on the side that thinks Connington's friendship with Rhaegar was largely one-sided.

I think Oswell would be considered before Connington as well.

Barristan said they were friends, IICR. And I think it was something else beside him. But yes, Barristan isn't 100% reliable.

Barristan said they were friends, IICR. And I think it was something else beside him. But yes, Barristan isn't 100% reliable.

And Barristan wasn't exactly in Rhaegar's circle either. There's a difference between Connington glomming onto Rhaegar and his clique (which Barristan could have observed visually and it would've looked like Connington was actually included), and Rhaegar actually considering Connington a close friend the way he did his squires, Arthur and probably Oswell.

Archived