Small questions v. 10085

Jon Weirgaryen

Is it mentioned anywhere what happened to the iron coin that Jaqen H'ghar gave Arya? I know she shows it to the Kindly Man and the waif when she first arrives at the temple and she says they look at it but do not take it. Later, when she is giving up all her possessions (except Needle), she lists everything she throws into the water and the coin isn't mentioned. I was wondering if she still has it.

It's with Original Weasel who also has Book Sansa's hairnet and my missing socks

Oi, yeah, you are right. When typing, I didn't realise it was a sample chapter we were talking about. Those are part of Winds, and remain spoiler until three months after Winds has been released.

Unless it is on a thread dedicated to that chapter, of course.

I should have specified that..

that was what I thought, just checking.

Well the earth is roughly 25 thousand miles around, a little bit less. So 1 and 1/3 comes out to roughly 33 thousand miles. From there it was just measuring the known world map with a ruler with the wall as my reference. 300 miles = 1.5 inches.

Edited for clarity

Yeah, I got that ;) but where did the 1 1/3 came from? Did Ran state that somewhere once or something?

Thanks for the info RT. I hadn't picked up on what Tyrion said, but the numbers are strange. It amounts to one-year winters and one-year summers almost every other year, and that's counting out autumn and spring. I always thought the seasons were two or three years in duration, at least. Don't know what gave me that impression. Probably the whole sweet child of summer thing, granted the last summer was very long. But ten times longer than the norm if what Tyrion said is right? Doesn't really add up to me.

Maekars seven year summer seems to have already been exceptional in its length. Tyrions three year winter doesn't.

I guess that summers and winters are usually 2 or 3 years.

the whole "9 winters" that Tyrion has lived through could easily been a mistake. Perhaps GRRM was thinking about Tyrions age (25) when thinking about the 9, forgetting the 10 year summer. Or perhaps there was some other mistake..

A question that has been bothering me for quite some time... :idea:

Aside from Hoster Tully and Aemon Targaryan, were there any other characters to die of natural causes throughout the novels?

Ehm.. Assuming you mean characters who died from old age, or illness, or anything besides being murdered or suicide..

For as far as we know, Jaehaerys II Targaryen.

All the women who die in childbirth (for example, Joanna Lannister, Dalla, possibly Lyanna Stark).

Aegon I Targaryen most likely

Practically everyone who dies of illness (which isn't caused by poison like Jon Arryn), so Mors and Olyvar Martell, Yezzan, all other victems of the Pale Mare, Aegon IV (died of an illness), Corenna Swann (wasting illness), Willam Darry (illness in Braavos), Tysha's father had died of an illness, Jeyne Beesbury (wasting illness), Bryen Caron, his wife, and his second son and all his daughters died of a chill.

Lady Tanda Stokeworth

There are probably more, but these first came to mind..

Ehm.. Assuming you mean characters who died from old age, or illness, or anything besides being murdered or suicide..

All the women who die in childbirth (for example, Joanna Lannister, Dalla, possibly Lyanna Stark).

Practically everyone who dies of illness (which isn't caused by poison like Jon Arryn), so Mors and Olyvar Martell, Yezzan, all other victems of the Pale Mare, Aegon IV (died of an illness), Corenna Swann (wasting illness), Willam Darry (illness in Braavos), Tysha's father had died of an illness, Jeyne Beesbury (wasting illness), Bryen Caron, his wife, and his second son and all his daughters died of a chill.

Lady Tanda Stokeworth

You missed the most important ones: Daeron II, Valarr and Matarys Targaryen and half the population of King's Landing, including the High Septon ;)

Just looking at Hands of the King on the wiki, is the Lord Butterwell who was Aegon IV's hand the same Ambrose Butterwell who served Daeron II?

Just looking at Hands of the King on the wiki, is the Lord Butterwell who was Aegon IV's hand the same Ambrose Butterwell who served Daeron II?

It's been a while since I read TMK but if memory serves then Lord Butterwell who served Aegon IV was Ambrose Butterwells grandfather.

Lady Tanda Stokeworth

Most of the people you mentioned were dead long before the events of the books.

I just found it curious how tiny a percentage of all the deaths in ASOIAF died of old age or sickness (not counting poisoning), and especially among the more familiar characters.

You missed the most important ones: Daeron II, Valarr and Matarys Targaryen and half the population of King's Landing, including the High Septon ;)

Ahhh.. I completely forgot the Spring Sickness... *facepalm*

Yup, same guy. He was fired shorly before the Redgrass Field, IIRC. The Hand who replaced him then died on the Redgrass Field. If memory serves, that's when Baelor became Hand.

Its a fan name :lol: It was made a bit tongue in cheek I think, due to how he ended....

Ah, good, I thought I missed something.

He even has that name in wiki

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Others

"The Other, called Puddles, that Samwell Tarly slays is riding Mawney’s dead horse."

Check in 5 minutes.. It won't be there anymore, I assure you.

Eta: someone has beaten me to the punch on Puddles... ;) :ninja:

Most of the people you mentioned were dead long before the events of the books.

I just found it curious how tiny a percentage of all the deaths in ASOIAF died of old age or sickness (not counting poisoning), and especially among the more familiar characters.

Yeah, but that's what happens when you read a story about a war.. :) During a war, most people described die from the fighting, especially the main characters that are involved in fighting, or in the politics and the backstabbing that goes along with it.

In Dany's storyline, most people seem to have died in the beginning from illness. Doreah, for example. But all those who died were minor characters, usually.

Yup, same guy. He was fired shorly before the Redgrass Field, IIRC. The Hand who replaced him then died on the Redgrass Field. If memory serves, that's when Baelor became Hand.

You sure about that.

In TMK it says Ambrose Butterwell was master of coin during Aegon IV reign and later Daeron II made him Hand. Also mentions that his father's father served as Hand. So I'm assuming that his grandfather was Hand to Aegon IV and he was Hand to Daeron II.

Archived