Jaime never mentions Bran!?

MikeMartell

Considering the person in question is Jaime Lannister, the fact that he mentioned Bran once might be the most momentous and unexpected occurrence in the entire series.

Jaime has never admitted to anyone other than Illyn Payne about his affair with Cersie.

Jaime pretty much threw the truth back in Catelyn's face. He taunted her about his incest, and about pushing Bran from the window, and about Ned's death.

Also,he was open about it to Brienne.

In AFFC I think he mentions how he'd do anything for cersei back then as killing arya if he got there first.

Yup. Though not without some measure of regret / revulsion, by that point - I think a lot of it was coming from the realization that his devotion to Cersei was all for nothing.

Dofs, I know the Jaime and Brienne story backwards and forwards, by heart. I'm the one who put together that list of quotes that keeps coming up.

One, it doesn't have to be either/or. There's no strict remember one thing at a time rule in literature. Clearly, it's calling back to the Brienne conversation. But it's also calling back to the Catelyn conversation - remember, Catelyn, the one who put those two together?

Two, of the things he did, he's not all that sorry about fucking Cersei, and he's not all that sorry about killing the King, but I maintain - and it's the thread topic - that he is sorry about what he did to Bran. And this was his mother talking to him about this.

Three, foreshadowing, HAND. The hand is mentioned in the Catelyn conversation. It's foreshadowing what happens to his hand. It's poetic justice, and the hint comes from Bran's mother, who sets him off on this journey, where his hand is cut off.

It's clearly mentioned in a parallel in the Catelyn conversation.

Catelyn: "Yours was the hand that threw him"

Jaime: "I've lost... the hand that flung the Stark boy from that tower"

No, I agree that he is sorry about Bran. Just I believe your connection between Cat's and Jaime's words are a bit of a stretch. Yes, Jaime called it the hand, just like Cat did. So what? Just a coincidence. Jaime did lose a hand, so he is saying he lost a hand. What else he would have called it? An arm?

And it's offtopic also, so I'll stop posting about this.

And later, in SOS, he tells Cersei that he feels ashamed

I guess that you are referring to the bath scene in Harrenhal, when he confronts Brienne about his crimes

I agree with the bolded part, for Jaime Bran is something to be ashamed of, and it belongs to the past, but I am not certain that Bran will leave the cave.

I would love it if Bran somehow confronted Jaime towards the end of the 7th book though.

You said it much better than I did, LOL. I do think Jaime keeps Bran moreso in the past because he does think Bran is gone. I think if Bran were believed by Jaime to be alive, he'd give more thought to how his split second decision continues to effect Bran. At least, I hope he would.

I'm not sure on Bran getting out of the cave, but I do think he needs to try to get out of there, eventually. I do think he will serve a good purpose there, in the short and medium term, but I think it's important that he leave and actually live a life, not watch others doing so. I have my fingers crossed for Bran getting out and about again. He and Meera and Hodor may have to fight their way out of there, but I hope they make it.

Oddly enough, this is on my mind since rereading the Red Wedding last night. I do wonder if Jaime really will stand before LSH, I'm not certain, but I get the feeling that Bolton's words at the Red Wedding about Jaime Lannister sending his regards might be one of the biggest reasons that LSH hangs on with such vengeance. Cat is the one who set Jaime free, and she hears his name invoked as she watches Robb murdered, thinking he is her last son.

I think it's totally tied to Catelyn setting him free, and the deal they made, hence the quest to find Sansa and take her somewhere safe. It goes back to that night, when they talked about Bran (and Jaime is another of those words are wind guys! I like the way NCW played that scene, the contrast between his words and his expression when Catelyn wasn't looking). And now the UnCat plot that he's right in the thick of as of the last book. I think he owes the Starks, and he knows it. With Bran, it's personal, and direct. Here we go, wait until the end, this captures the subtext of the book scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnZ7s-H1gNU

Really love the thoughts being generated here. For Cat this has become intensely personal not only for the revenge of her family, but (possibly) for the guilt she feels at having freed Jaime, and whether or not the entire Red Wedding could have been avoided had she not. These aren't my original thoughts, I'm just trying to synthesize what a few of you have already said, brilliant :bowdown:

That being said, all of this is serving mainly to make me incredibly sad given the light of recent developments (or lack thereof) in the show's universe ...

Can anyone find the quotes where he blames Bran for spying? He does it in Storm or Feast at least twice if I remember correctly

They've already been provided in this thread. From.the last Catelyn chapter in Clash

Can anyone find the quotes where he blames Bran for spying? He does it in Storm or Feast at least twice if I remember correctly

I cannot find my FFC copy, but the first mention is at his first SOS chapter

Innocent? The wretched boy was spying on us. All Jaime had wanted was an hour alone with Cersei.

I think it's totally tied to Catelyn setting him free, and the deal they made, hence the quest to find Sansa and take her somewhere safe. It goes back to that night, when they talked about Bran (and Jaime is another of those words are wind guys! I like the way NCW played that scene, the contrast between his words and his expression when Catelyn wasn't looking). And now the UnCat plot that he's right in the thick of as of the last book. I think he owes the Starks, and he knows it. With Bran, it's personal, and direct. Here we go, wait until the end, this captures the subtext of the book scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnZ7s-H1gNU

I also think, that in a way, he is trying to atone himself for standing and watching Aerys torturing Rickard and Brandon.

That particular event was when he realised that he was serving a sadistic madman, and that he had to tolerate his crimes.

I believe that the fact that Sansa is related to them is an important factor as well.

I also think, that in a way, he is trying to atone himself for standing and watching Aerys torturing Rickard and Brandon.

That particular event was when he realised that he was serving a sadistic madman, and that he had to tolerate his crimes.

I believe that the fact that Sansa is related to them is an important factor as well.

That's a good point! There's that, too, along with Bran. And he's upped the stakes in his last chapter, he's literally walked off the job for Lannister Inc. and gone to pay his debts to the Starks.

Archived