Jaime never mentions Bran!?

MikeMartell

I justified it the moment I saw it, that's just the type of person I am. Never blamed him for it, even Ned wonders what he would've done, and we know if it meant the safety of her children Catelyn would do it without hesitation.

I don't think killing the king haunts him, I think betraying his friends and the people he looked up to by killing the king left in his protection. Killing Aerys was the easy part by then, dude was crazy

I just think its strange Jaime never mentions anything about pushing Bran out of a window. Like he's quick enough to tell Brienne about he had to kill the king to save King Landing. And that's how he justifies it to himself. Well how does he justify pushing a child out a window?

Is he just not too bothered that he did this? Forgiven himself for it, but killing the king still haunts him?

I'm sure killing a child is no more honourable than killing a king you are sworn to protect. Especially considering that he violated the guest rights of the Stark's, attempting to kill one of them under their own roof.

You are correct and until he faces up to his crimes their will be no full circle hero arc redemption.

Not even so much as he knows he did something really wrong. He remembers what Catelyn said.

I think that was reference not to Catelyn's words but to Brienne's. Earlier Brienne said he is a monster because he killed his king, almost killed an innocent child, violated his sister. In the bathtub Jaime says he lost his hand with what he killed his king, shoved Bran out of the window, made his sister wet.

It's not an either/or thing, and we are talking about Bran here. Jaime most certainly was remembering Catelyn's words.

Catelyn: "Yours was the hand that threw him"

Jaime: "I've lost... the hand that flung the Stark boy from that tower"

Key word: Hand. Foreshadowing.

I don't care for Bran. His storyline bores me to tears. So while it was wrong for Jaime to have pushed him out the window, meh who cares. I wish Bran had died and Robb had lived

I don't hate Bran. I just get so bored when the story goes to his sub-plot

Sub-plot? He will likely be one of the key characters in the storyline with the Others...

As for Jaime, he flat out admits to Catelyn:

Catelyn wondered if he would dare answer her next question with anything but a lie. “How did my son Bran come to fall?”

“I flung him from a window.”

The easy way he said it took her voice away for an instant. If I had a knife, I would kill him now, she thought, until she remembered the girls. Her throat constricted as she said, “You were a knight, sworn to defend the weak and innocent.”

"He was weak enough, but perhaps not so innocent. He was spying on us.”

“Bran would not spy.”

“Then blame those precious gods of yours, who brought the boy to our window and gave him a glimpse of something he was never meant to see.”

“Blame the gods?” she said, incredulous. “Yours was the hand that threw him. You meant for him to die.”

His chains chinked softly. “I seldom fling children from towers to improve their health. Yes, I meant for him to die.”

He has no remorse for what he did

Here are my thoughts on Jaime and Bran, and my memory of them. IIRC, at one point Jaime is bitching at Brienne about losing his hand, the hand that flung the Stark brat (? paraphrasing) from the window, the hand that slew Aerys, etc., saying Brienne should be happy about that. He does also think that it's interesting that the hand that did these acts is the hand most responsible for his bad acts, Aerys and Bran, along with what made him who he was, a sword fighter. He does mention it to Brienne, as he's bitching about how it's her fault, LOL. But, then he does apologize to her, saying that she protected him better than most, etc. All this was the bathhouse scene, and I do think Bran is thought of or mentioned.

My fanwanking of Jaime not thinking enough about Bran is that..........he thinks Bran is dead. I do think he might give the issue more thought if he thought Bran was alive, at least I hope he would. I'm one who hopes that Bran gets out of the cave, and I hope that if word of Bran or Rickon's survival reach Jaime that he would, then, give what he did to Bran more thought. He thinks Bran is murdered, dead and buried or burned, and therefore, he isn't thinking that there is a Bran around, still suffering the after effects of the push out the window.

Stuff like this just adds to the intrigue that is the SH/Jaime inevitable showdown in WoW.

No way Jaime gets out alive.

Oddly enough, this is on my mind since rereading the Red Wedding last night. I do wonder if Jaime really will stand before LSH, I'm not certain, but I get the feeling that Bolton's words at the Red Wedding about Jaime Lannister sending his regards might be one of the biggest reasons that LSH hangs on with such vengeance. Cat is the one who set Jaime free, and she hears his name invoked as she watches Robb murdered, thinking he is her last son.

It's not an either/or thing, and we are talking about Bran here. Jaime most certainly was remembering Catelyn's words.

Key word: Hand. Foreshadowing.

Nah, Jaime was clearly referencing Brienne, not Cat. Earlier in SoS:

"Talk with Ser Cleos then. I have no words for monsters."

Jaime hooted. "Are there monsters hereabouts? Hiding beneath the water, perhaps? In that thick of willows? And me without my sword!"

"A man who would violate his own sister, murder his king, and fling an innocent child to his death deserves no other name."

In the bathtub:

"Does the sight of my stump distress you so?" Jaime asked. "You ought to be pleased. I've lost the hand I killed the king with. The hand that flung the Stark boy from that tower. The hand I'd slide between my sister's thighs to make her wet."

Jaime says that he got punished for everything Brienne has accused him for. Obviously, he doesn't think that making his sister wet was a crime, he is just referencing Brienne.

As for Jaime, he flat out admits to Catelyn:

He has no remorse for what he did

And later, in SOS, he tells Cersei that he feels ashamed

I’m not ashamed of loving you, only of the things I’ve done to hide it. That boy at Winterfell…”

Here are my thoughts on Jaime and Bran, and my memory of them. IIRC, at one point Jaime is bitching at Brienne about losing his hand, the hand that flung the Stark brat (? paraphrasing) from the window, the hand that slew Aerys, etc., saying Brienne should be happy about that. He does also think that it's interesting that the hand that did these acts is the hand most responsible for his bad acts, Aerys and Bran, along with what made him who he was, a sword fighter. He does mention it to Brienne, as he's bitching about how it's her fault, LOL. But, then he does apologize to her, saying that she protected him better than most, etc. All this was the bathhouse scene, and I do think Bran is thought of or mentioned.

My fanwanking of Jaime not thinking enough about Bran is that..........he thinks Bran is dead. I do think he might give the issue more thought if he thought Bran was alive, at least I hope he would. I'm one who hopes that Bran gets out of the cave, and I hope that if word of Bran or Rickon's survival reach Jaime that he would, then, give what he did to Bran more thought. He thinks Bran is murdered, dead and buried or burned, and therefore, he isn't thinking that there is a Bran around, still suffering the after effects of the push out the window.

I guess that you are referring to the bath scene in Harrenhal, when he confronts Brienne about his crimes

Does the sight of my stump distress you so?” Jaime asked. “You ought to be pleased. I’ve lost the hand I killed the king with. The hand that flung the Stark boy from that tower. The hand I’d slide between my sister’s thighs to make her wet.” He thrust his stump at her face. “No wonder Renly died, with you guarding him.”

I agree with the bolded part, for Jaime Bran is something to be ashamed of, and it belongs to the past, but I am not certain that Bran will leave the cave.

I would love it if Bran somehow confronted Jaime towards the end of the 7th book though.

They can never be even because Bran never did anything to Jaime (although I guess you could say he spied on him, he was a kid, and Jaime was wrong in the first place, having sex with the queen).

GRRM talks about it here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/game-of-thrones-season-3-characters_n_1854918.html

True, but Bran did not climb that wall with the intentions to spy on Jaime. He was climbing and heard a noise like anyone else in his position.

It is easier to admit to killing AT because that could be justified. Admitting to others about Bran is a different story. He has no real substantial justification for chucking a kid out of the window, but I do think he is ashamed as others have cited.

Dofs, I know the Jaime and Brienne story backwards and forwards, by heart. I'm the one who put together that list of quotes that keeps coming up.

One, it doesn't have to be either/or. There's no strict remember one thing at a time rule in literature. Clearly, it's calling back to the Brienne conversation. But it's also calling back to the Catelyn conversation - remember, Catelyn, the one who put those two together?

Two, of the things he did, he's not all that sorry about fucking Cersei, and he's not all that sorry about killing the King, but I maintain - and it's the thread topic - that he is sorry about what he did to Bran. And this was his mother talking to him about this.

Three, foreshadowing, HAND. The hand is mentioned in the Catelyn conversation. It's foreshadowing what happens to his hand. It's poetic justice, and the hint comes from Bran's mother, who sets him off on this journey, where his hand is cut off.

It's clearly mentioned in a parallel in the Catelyn conversation.

You are correct and until he faces up to his crimes their will be no full circle hero arc redemption.

I don't know what you mean by "full circle hero arc redemption," but it's certainly possible for Jaime to perform heroic actions without following the 12 steps routine and apologizing to everybody, etc. As others have pointed out, the Bran incident rarely crosses his mind, yet Jaime is clearly making more responsible and moral decisions than he did early in the story.

Archived