What is everyone's favourite aSoIaF quote?

Lee Daly

My favourite is the first line we hear from Euron Greyjoy

“As it happens as I have oft sat upon the Seastone Chair of late. It raises no objections.” His smiling eye was glittering. “Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence.” He laughed. “Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray.”

Ch. 18 The Iron Captain, AFFC

"The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and underneath the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I'm not dead either."

"There is power in a living wood."

"Dance with me then."

and everything Edmure

"His wife's brother was young, and more gallant than wise. He would try to hold every inch of soil, to defend every man, woman and child who named him lord..."

"My people," Edmure answered. "They were afraid."

"This was my father's solar. He ruled the Riverlands from here, wisely and well. The light was good there, and whenever he looked up from his work he could see the river. When his eyes were tired he would have Cat read to him. Littlefinger and I built a castle out of wooden blocks once, there beside the door. You will never know how sick it makes me to see you in this room, Kingslayer. You will never know how much I despise you."

Not your hilarious vampire rape jape, mind you, but rad Ed represents the humanity in aSoIaF like few others

"Dance with me then."

and everything Edmure

"His wife's brother was young, and more gallant than wise. He would try to hold every inch of soil, to defend every man, woman and child who named him lord..."

"My people," Edmure answered. "They were afraid."

"This was my father's solar. He ruled the Riverlands from here, wisely and well. The light was good there, and whenever he looked up from his work he could see the river. When his eyes were tired he would have Cat read to him. Littlefinger and I built a castle out of wooden blocks once, there beside the door. You will never know how sick it makes me to see you in this room, Kingslayer. You will never know how much I despise you."

Not your hilarious vampire rape jape, mind you, but rad Ed represents the humanity in aSoIaF like few others

I don't think it's so much that it's "hilarious", it's more the fact that any character can say something so horrific in such an offhand way, and for it to make perfect sense. There's plenty of horrible speech, but usually in war or death threats, but Roose here is getting his son to get him a set of keys. There's also the fact that Ramsay is one of the few people worse than Roose around, so we're actually supporting Roose in this conversation, and then he comes out with that. But most of all, it totally sums up Roose as a character.

"I am the only child the gods let him keep. The freakish one, the one not fit to be son or daughter". I'm not an emotional person, but Brienne really gets to me sometimes. It's bad enough when Randyll says "It is said that your father is a good man. If so, I pity him. Some men are blessed with sons, some with daughters. No man deserves to be cursed with such as you"- but to hear she basically agrees with this...

Jaime has some great ones too- "That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead.

Aerys, it always comes down to Aerys".

And finally Lord Davos with the best most rousing speech I've ever heard "Death. There will be death, aye. Your Lordship lost a son at the Red Wedding, I lost four upon the Blackwater. And why? Because the Lannisters stole the throne. Go to King’s Landing and look at Tommen with your own eyes, a blind man could see it. What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your brothers and fathers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!"

"I know about the promise … Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. STARK men!" -- Wylla Manderly

"My son Wendel came to the the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home." - Wyman Manderly

"Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK." -- Lyanna Mormont

"I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter. Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue." -- Hugo Wull

“You must be blind as well as maimed, ser. Lift your eyes, and you will see that the direwolf still flies above our walls.” -- Bryden Tully

The king pointed a finger at him. “I give you fair warning. If you force me to take my castle by storm, you may expect no mercy. I will hang you for traitors, everyone of you.”

“As the gods will it. Bring your storm, my lord - and recall, if you do, the name of this castle.” -- Cortnay Penrose

"Dorne has no king. Tell your brother that. This is Dorne, you are not wanted here. Return at your peril."

"We'll return with Fire and Blood"

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" -- Mariya Martell

For me it's when Tyrion says,

"A mind needs books, as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep it's edge"

Sums him up for me, right from the start.

:thumbsup:

My favorite quote as well. See my sig.

cant remember when/where iv heard it but im sure i can see tyrion saying it...might be from the television series even

"Everybody, everywhere, has always had to do exactly as my father says...

...hes always been a cunt"

Yepp. It's from "Fire and Blood" in the first season - Tyrion says it to Shae when he tells her about him going to King's Landing. And talking about Tywin.

"Fear is what keeps a man alive in this world of treachery and deceit." -- Roose Bolton

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That's the only time we can be brave."

-- Bran and Ned

"He sold you for gold, and when he'd drunk it up he'd sell you again. A bag of dragons buys a man's silence for a while, but a well-placed quarrel buys it forever." -- Littlefinger

"Its not Ser Donnel the Constant who concerns me. It's you. What will you do if brave Ser Donnel gives his sword to yet another usurper, and one day comes storming into the throne room? And there you stand, all in white, between your king and your blood. What will you do?"

"I...my lord, that would never happen."

"It happened to me."

"My lord. On my sword, on my honor, I swear... I shall not do as you did."

-- Jaime Lannister, conducting Balon Swann's employee performance review.

"I am lowborn. An upjumped smuggler. Your lords will never obey me."

"Then we will make new lords."

-- Stannis, giving Davos a promotion and a raise

"Yet our way is the old way. The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that then perhaps he does not deserve to die. ... When that day comes you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

-- Eddard M.F.ing STARK :bowdown:

But my single one and only absolute favorite, if truly pressed, is probably

"I, kof, I can't, kof kof kof kof... "

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Joffrey "Baratheon", first and last of his name.

I don't think it's so much that it's "hilarious", it's more the fact that any character can say something so horrific in such an offhand way, and for it to make perfect sense. There's plenty of horrible speech, but usually in war or death threats, but Roose here is getting his son to get him a set of keys. There's also the fact that Ramsay is one of the few people worse than Roose around, so we're actually supporting Roose in this conversation, and then he comes out with that. But most of all, it totally sums up Roose as a character.

"I am the only child the gods let him keep. The freakish one, the one not fit to be son or daughter". I'm not an emotional person, but Brienne really gets to me sometimes. It's bad enough when Randyll says "It is said that your father is a good man. If so, I pity him. Some men are blessed with sons, some with daughters. No man deserves to be cursed with such as you"- but to hear she basically agrees with this...

Jaime has some great ones too- "That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead.

Aerys, it always comes down to Aerys".

And finally Lord Davos with the best most rousing speech I've ever heard "Death. There will be death, aye. Your Lordship lost a son at the Red Wedding, I lost four upon the Blackwater. And why? Because the Lannisters stole the throne. Go to King’s Landing and look at Tommen with your own eyes, a blind man could see it. What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your brothers and fathers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!"

Good choice, but that would Euron's Kingsmoot speech I'm afraid.

"Elia of Dorne. First I killed her squalling brat, then I raped her, then I smashed her fucking head in. Like this." Having the seemingly unbeatable champion actually win for once is quite refreshing, and disposing of the second most annoying character in the series at the same time makes it even better. Shouting it along with him when it came up in the show was one of the highlights of my year.

" I swore an oath to keep him safe " - Brienne

This line is gold. Especially due to where it is uttered. At once it summarizes Jaime´s pain and Brienne's greatest virture.

:agree:

I just love that part.

Also, I liked Sansa's quote:

“My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel.”

Archived