Why do people believe in alternative medicine?

Game Of Thrones

lol @ "a small crack appears in my diplomacy dyke."

ETA: By the way, can anyone make a case for homeopathy beyond a placebo effect?

Another reason that homeopathy gained traction hundreds of years ago is that it was often better than the medical practices of the time, like bleeding with leeches. So while practicing 'traditional' was often harmful to the patients, homeopathy didn't do anything, other than a placebo effect. So it was better than the other option at the time.

From memory:

Cold-and-pain killer like DayQuil is about $6 for off-brand.

Cough syrup like Robitussin is about $6 for off-brand.

Cough drops like Halls is about #3 for off-brand.

So total would be about $15.

Over here:

Cold-and-flu painkillers = £3.39

(Plain aspirin or paracetamol is £0.35 for a packet. Paracetamol/aspirin/caffeine pills are £1.15 for a packet)

Dry/tickly cough syrup = £2.99

Box of tea = £1

Versus a prescription charge of £7.80 (as far as I recall).

Summah, I agree that OTC should be covered under that system. It sounds pretty daft that the more suitable product for the condition is less available.

I have found regular massage to be extremely helpful for my sinus problems. Also, back pain. I don't really know why it works, but it feels good and it's my money, so, I continue to get them.

I find aromatherapy to be relaxing and evocative. I will continue using rosemary oil, lavender etc.

I think herbal medicine can work but given dosage issues and the lack of control of active ingredients means I won't use it.

Homeopathy I regard as bunk.

TCM isn't something I've had any exposure to and therefore I draw no conclusions.

Light therapy and crystal therapy I regard as bunk.

Acupuncture, I tried for sinus issues. No response. I believe it can work for others. On balance I probably wouldn't agree with state dip undoing of same.

ETA: so this is at least one case where the maxim "anything that actually works would already be synthesized as a pharmaceutical" does not hold.

The maxim should be "any compound that actually works will be synthesized as a pharmaceutical". With the caveat that some large molecules that are active are very difficult to synthesize. Of course they also tend to actually be horrible drugs even if they show a good activity, since it is generally difficult to get them to the place they are needed in the body.

One important problem with using natural sources as for drugs is that it has a tendency to destroy that source. Already in ancient times (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium), but also currently (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/09/ginseng-hunting-state-ban-maryland). Even raising concerns when the plant is used for a pharmaceutical drug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxol ).

And even though a huge amount of molecules has been synthesized, it is a tiny fraction of those that are possible pharmaceuticals. Chemical space is huge, and only a fraction has been explored (eg http://www.mskcc.org/sites/www.mskcc.org/files/imagecache/enlarge/node/1828/images/120727a-diversity-oriented-synthesis-natural-product-libraries.jpg)

The big problem in the current approach in chemistry and pharmacy is that it is very difficult to discover compounds that work together, and are present in plants or animals (for example sponges tend to produce interesting compounds as well).

Wasnt there a movie where Sean Connery is a Indiana Jones type pharmacist that goes to the Amazon to wrestle a witch doctor for a miracle drug? But he had to best him before the bulldozers destroyed the source?

He had to find the source of the compound which was deposited by leetle beetles. Lorraine Bracco was the person charged with finding the source before the dozers came. If memory serves.

He had to find the source of the compound which was deposited by leetle beetles. Lorraine Bracco was the person charged with finding the source before the dozers came. If memory serves.

I believe maarsen has seen every Sean Connery film. I caught him pimping Zardoz in the top 50 sci-fi thread recently...

I believe maarsen has seen every Sean Connery film. I caught him pimping Zardoz in the top 50 sci-fi thread recently...

Hey, I watched it once on late night TV. The horror, the horror....

Hey, I watched it once on late night TV. The horror, the horror....

To try to bring this back around to Alternative Medicine, we have to ask ourselves, "What ailment exists for which Zardoz is the cure?"

Heterosexuality in women, perhaps?

Archived