Nine year old accidentally kills gun instructor with Uzi

Fragile Bird

sue the grrrrrn range.

Absolutely. But we're all fooling ourselves that any amount of money or therapy is going to truly heal this child. The only good that can truly come from this incident is that gun instructors, owners, handlers, et al institute better practices which would preclude young/small bodies from handling automatic weaponry.

Damn guys, maybe update your website, take down a few of these testimonials?

EXCELLENT TIME YOU GOT TO TRY IT !!!! We seen the advertisement for bullets and burgers and thought that's a must so we booked it and went the next day. We got picked up at 8am at our hotel and driven by mini bus. We stopped off at the hoover dam which was great to see then on to bullets and burgers, on the way the driver Bud was great, a man of very good knowledge he told us some great stories that we could take home with us. When we arrived we got taken to the outdoor range and the fun began. I booked the gold so I got to shoot an Uzi then AK-47 then MP5/40 then the belt fed machine gun and then the best of all the 50 CAL sniper rifle it was excellent its a must for everyone any age. - Guest from Glasgow, United Kingdom

I don't get the whole gun culture thing. I grew up in a tough neighborhood in the inner-city; lived in tough neighborhoods in NYC, and never have I felt so threatened or was so afraid that I felt like I needed a gun for protection. I understand hunters having guns. But this culture of being in love with guns and the "guns or death" attitude, it just seems insane.

I guess if our country devolved into civil war or anarchy I'd be assed-out since I own no guns. But other than such a crazy scenario I could go my whole life without ever needing a gun.

I'm surprised that people are reacting to this like it's a tragedy. No disrespect to the deceased but it's a contender for a Darwin Award and neatly refutes the NRA's position that gun-related deaths will be reduced by more guns.

I kinda feel sorry for the kid but perhaps they won't grow up as a gun nut now.

I don't get the whole gun culture thing. I grew up in a tough neighborhood in the inner-city; lived in tough neighborhoods in NYC, and never have I felt so threatened or was so afraid that I felt like I needed a gun for protection. I understand hunters having guns. But this culture of being in love with guns and the "guns or death" attitude, it just seems insane.

I guess if our country devolved into civil war or anarchy I'd be assed-out since I own no guns. But other than such a crazy scenario I could go my whole life without ever needing a gun.

This particular story isn't in the South but a lot of gun culture in the Southeastern states is about hunting and protection. Most of the Southeast was pretty much a wilderness until the 50's after WWII, guns were indeed a necessity for survival, whether you used them for hunting or for protection while riding your mule cart into the nearest town through the woods to sell some crop., guns were a necessity, this wasn't that long ago. then came the Civil Rights movement and the nation and the world through the magic of television were exposed to how wild the south still was.

To expect this gun culture to die out within a generation or two is pretty unrealistic IMO.

My brother loves his guns, I'm not into guns just because I'm pretty timid by nature when it comes to those type things. But in the lives of our dad and our grandfather, guns were a necessity for them.

Now that I've typed all this, I realize it really has nothing to do with the case in the op.

Fucking unbelievably bloody stupid. Shitting hell. Who in the bloody hell brings a freakin' 9 year old to a shooting range? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ugh. Disgusting.

Murika baby. Murika!

Yup, this. Stupid motherfuckers to bring their kid to a firing range to fire a fucking Uzi.

There is a place in the barbaric firearms-fetishizing culture rampant throughout the US for teaching kids how to use weapons. Putting an Uzi in the hands of a 9 year old does not fit into any sane definition of child firearms training.

I also have to say though -- the instructor should have refused to let the kid use that gun.

Darwin awards for everyone!

Just for some perspective on this from the other side of the aisle if you read the comments on Glenn Beck's website most of them think that 9 year olds should not fires Uzis or other machine guns and say that this was stupid and maybe a 22 would have been better so even the extreme right has some perspective on this. Of course there are some other comments...

I have to agree with SpeakSoftly, by the time you get to weapons that won’t have significant muzzle rise in the hands of a child you’re talking about guns that are powerful enough to hurt them.

With the possible exception of mounted machine guns, they are not meant for children and shouldn’t be used by children until they are of enough size and strength to handle them properly.

Who qualifies in size and strength is still a judgement call, one that certain firing positions or having an adult hold the weapon for them can alleviate… but for God’s sake, use some common sense!

So screw Uzis we just need to have our children fire machine guns!!!

And then there is this gem..

kulig: A six year old could safely handle an Uzi. Don’t sell your daughter short. You need to brush up on your gun knowledge. Don’t feel too bad. I only have 58 years of experience!

Clearly a responsible gun owner here.

This sort of thing is bound to happen regardless of the gun laws. Some people will be stupid and/or will use poor judgment whether we ban or restrict one type of gun or another. If there were no submachine guns, that same instructor would have died from another accident in mishandling a different piece of firearm.

It's too bad that the instructor's stupidity has to come at the cost of a 9 year-old's mental trauma. I wouldn't blame the parents, per se, if the guy who died was billed as an instructor. The parents brought the girl to the shooting range with a, I presume, licensed instructor (which actually will make great political fodder for the Liberterians' case that licensing doesn't mean shit, as an aside).

And to be fair, he did put a pair of ear muffs on her so he's not totally winging it.

No, just no.

You absolutely blame the parents for putting their child in that situation. People who think it's OK for their 9 year old to fire an Uzi shouldn't have children.

I don't want to turn this into a debate on basic principles but when reading about this case, the only reasonable thing for me is to say: the stricter the gun laws, the better. And be it just to prevent human idiocy.

On a meta-level: I never understood the justification of gun ownership with the protection of personal freedom. I mean, the US has quite strict speeding limits. What about the freedom of a driver to test the physical limits of his 400hp sportscar on an empty Highway ;)?

I'm surprised that people are reacting to this like it's a tragedy. No disrespect to the deceased but it's a contender for a Darwin Award and neatly refutes the NRA's position that gun-related deaths will be reduced by more guns.

I kinda feel sorry for the kid but perhaps they won't grow up as a gun nut now.

A life was lost. It is a tragedy. I also don't think it was necessarily a Darwin Award for the trainer. He obviously didn't practice great safety, but a lot of people seem to be blaming the trainer as if it was his choice to allow the kid to shoot the uzi. That would be the parents. It's likely that the trainer had no choice in the matter if there really isn't an age limit on allowing this kid to shoot the gun. She would have been a legal customer and he would have been legally required to provide his training services.

The NRA and gun manufacturers have spent a lot of money to develop that culture so that they, in turn, can make a lot more money.

Well...kind of. But a lot of gun manufacturers are not located in America. I believe only 3 of the top 10 manufacturers are American and 1 of those 3 only sells shotguns for hunting purposes. If you have a handgun in your house it was probably made in Germany or Austria. So I think it's more on the NRA than the manufacturers. The state also makes $ on licensing fees I believe so they have incentive to promote it as well.

Aaaaaand because it's 2014, here's a video of the events leading up to the incident. It cuts out about 1 second before the guy is shot.

We don't see the whole thing, obviously, but the girl didn't even seem prepared for the fact that a weapon like that will start moving on its own once the trigger is pulled, unless you have a firm hold of it.

Aaaaaand because it's 2014,

. It cuts out about 1 second before the guy is shot.

We don't see the whole thing, obviously, but the girl didn't even seem prepared for the fact that a weapon like that will start moving on its own once the trigger is pulled, unless you have a firm hold of it.

Holy fucking Christ.

Archived