LGBTQI - youtube is awesome!

eyenon15

So, this isn't really relevant any kind of ongoing discussion, but I just wanted to share (with a fairly private, anonymous group of people) that my sister just came out to me tonight. I'm very happy for her, and just wanted to mention it as a proud older brother. They drunken text exchange was also pretty funny.

Anyways, back to regularly scheduled discussions, already in progress.

So, this isn't really relevant any kind of ongoing discussion, but I just wanted to share (with a fairly private, anonymous group of people) that my sister just came out to me tonight. I'm very happy for her, and just wanted to mention it as a proud older brother. They drunken text exchange was also pretty funny.

Anyways, back to regularly scheduled discussions, already in progress.

I'm glad she has your support and wish her well.

Yeah, it just one of those things that's not a big deal, but at the same time it kind of is (when you are that close to someone, that personal lens can magnify the import of anything). I know I don't need to say that here, but whatever.

Thanks, Brook, Robin, and everyone else, for the support and well, indulging my little expression of pride here. Cheers

I had one of those funny/awkward conversations with my mom last week, actually. I mean, she's known since I was 13 that I'm not straight. I am pretty sure she was honestly surprised that I wasn't strictly lesbian when I started dating guys in my late teens. But it's not a topic that has come up for a couple of decades. Cue my return from the diversity/inclusion summit, and I was relating the story of coming out to that group as "queer" and then having to explain to a couple of people what "queer" meant to me. And while I'm explaining my definition of queer (which includes the usual stuff, plus genderfluidity and polyamory) I realize that I'm telling my mom about a bunch of stuff about me that she's never heard. And ohgodtheawkward... So I defused this situation by getting into an argument with her about Ronald Reagan's terrible legacy in Central America. :lol:

Yeah, it just one of those things that's not a big deal, but at the same time it kind of is (when you are that close to someone, that personal lens can magnify the import of anything). I know I don't need to say that here, but whatever.

Thanks, Brook, Robin, and everyone else, for the support and well, indulging my little expression of pride here. Cheers

Thank you for making our day brighter.

*scribbles down notes... "use... Reagan... defuse... theawkward...." *

Re: RBPL

Awesome sauce. It's fantastic that she felt comfortable enough to tell you, and that you're supportive of her. So very cool! :)

Not a perfect article, as can be seen via the "born male" in the first sentence, but I figured this was still worth reading:

The Trans-Everything CEO

In person, Martine is magnificent, like a tall lanky teenage boy with breasts. She wears no makeup or jewelry, and she inhabits her muted clothing—jeans, a T-shirt, a floppy button-down thrown on top—in the youthful, offhand way of the tech elite. Martine is transgender, a power trans, which makes her an even rarer species in the corporate jungle than a female CEO. And she seems genuinely to revel in her self-built in-betweenness. Just after her sex-reassignment surgery, her appearance was more feminine than it is today—old photos show her wearing lipstick, her long, curly hair loose about her shoulders. But in the years since she has developed her own unisexual style. She is a person for whom gender matters enough to have undergone radical surgery, but not enough to care whether she’s called he or she by people, like her 83-year-old mother, who occasionally lose track of which pronouns to use.

What she prefers to be called is “Martine.” To her four young grandchildren she is “Grand Martine.” Bina Aspen, the woman who married Martine 33 years ago, when Martine was a man, and remains her devoted wife, calls herself not straight or gay but “Martine-­sexual”—as in the only person she wants to have sex with is Martine. Together Martine and Bina have four children, and they refer to Martine as “Martine” in conversations with strangers. At home, they call her “Dad.”

In 1995, just after her transition, Martine published The Apartheid of Sex, a slim manifesto that insisted on an overhaul of “dimorphic” (her word) gender categories. “There are five billion people in the world and five billion unique sexual identities,” she wrote. “Genitals are as irrelevant to one’s role in society as skin tone. Hence, the legal division of people into males and females is as wrong as the legal division of people into black and white races.” Instead, she suggested people might better express their gender and sexual identities on a spectrum, perhaps in terms of color: Green might be “an equally aggressive/nurturing person who does not try to appear sexy” (lime green would be someone a little less aggressive), and purple might be someone gentle, nourishing, and erotic in equal measure.

Yeah it's terrible, I'm not clicking.

In lighter news I broke the news of my friends transition to my younger two (aged 7 and 5) the other day. It went like this...

Me: begins longwinded explanation

7 year old, breaking in before I finished first sentence: So [friends name] is a girl?

Me: umm yeah

7 year old: Well what's the big deal then? Can I go to the park?

Yeah it's terrible, I'm not clicking.

In lighter news I broke the news of my friends transition to my younger two (aged 7 and 5) the other day. It went like this...

Me: begins longwinded explanation

7 year old, breaking in before I finished first sentence: So [friends name] is a girl?

Me: umm yeah

7 year old: Well what's the big deal then? Can I go to the park?

Haha I love it!

That was after 2 days of nagging to know what it was after the 7 year old caught wind that his older brother knew something he didn't. Was quite the anti climax for him.

We had been planning to tell them about me as well, but it never seemed to come up and now they've known me so long it feels weird. Time will tell!

Archived