LGBTQI - youtube is awesome!

eyenon15

I am happy to see that the organizers are sensitive enough to offer participants the option of not being photographed or filmed. I only hope that the media covering the event manage to adhere to that.

TerraPrime, on 24 Oct 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

I am happy to see that the organizers are sensitive enough to offer participants the option of not being photographed or filmed. I only hope that the media covering the event manage to adhere to that.

I think most organizers in the trans community provide that option and I think the media, here in LA, will respect that. When it comes to people with cell phones, all bets are off.

Arch-MaesterPhilip, on 24 Oct 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

I'm not going to lie, I'm choked up by your reply.

Breathe!

^^^ Me too Robin. Please tell us how it goes.

You breathe, too. I'll post updates on Facebook, as I can and any pictures of videos I take, when I get back home. If the rally makes the news, I'll post links.

Godspeed Robin!

I remember how scared I was when I attended my first Pride rally... but it was all I hoped and more :)

Thank you, RS. The funny thing is that it isn't fear that I feel, but a sense of failure. When I transitioned, the goal was to go through life, undetected. To some degree, I've already failed. What I'm doing now, just makes that failure complete. I'll always wonder if at any point, I could have done things differently and have avoided detection.

But, this is a cause I have to show up for. After all, if it gets government and police to realize that violence against us needs to be stopped and they actually do something about it, I stand to benefit from it.

I've returned from the rally. The speakers were good and made sense. The crowd was enthusiastic. There were only two areas of disappointment. Of the over 150 that said they'd attend, only about half showed up. None of Los Angeles's news outlets showed up. apparently, they are only interested in us when we are assaulted or murdered, not when we are protesting being killed.

One unexpected thing did occur. After all the scheduled speakers were finished, they left the mike (bullhorn) available to any in attendance. Yep, I did. As best as I recall it, there is the text.

I'm here because in 1976, a transgender woman offered to help and allow me observe how she lived, what was easy, what was difficult, how she interacted with people and they with her, the good and the bad. Because of her, I realized it was possible for me and I began my transition. Four months later, I learned she had been brutally murdered.

So, I'm here today, for her, for me and for you. No one should ever have to wonder, as they walk out their front door, "am I going to make it back home", because we are subject to assault and murder, solely because we exist. The world has to be told, over and over, until they believe it, that TRANS LIVES MATTER!

Short, but I thought it was well received.

Saw this article ina trade magazine about higher ed:

The Education of a Scholar Who Chose to Become a Black Man

Was your medical transition difficult to balance while trying to complete your doctoral studies?

My medical transition was easy. It alleviated a lot of stress. Much of that transition happened away from campus, while I was completing my dissertation. But now that I’m a black man, there have been situations where I realize that there’s a fine line between black-lesbian masculinity and trans masculinity that blend into one another.

Black women, regardless of sexuality, are always seen as masculine—strong, aggressive, angry, loud. All these masculine traits are mapped onto black women’s bodies. Black transmen are considered the same. When I’m in a space where people don’t know that I’m trans, I see how blackness is so mistreated. When I was a black woman, I was hated. Now, as a black man, I’m feared. People are afraid of me. As a black butch, people weren’t afraid of me in the same way. People literally cross the street and they don’t want me in their space. When I was a woman, I feared street harassment. Now, as a black man, people touch me more and grab me aggressively to tell me that I’m out of place. When I began my hormone therapy, I had to attend a conference in San Antonio, and a friend let me stay at her apartment. She left the key under a rock. I arrived at the hour, got the key, and the tenants downstairs came into the apartment and told me that I wasn’t supposed to be there. A few minutes later, there were police officers flashing a gun in my face and telling me to get … on the floor. That’s when I knew I was passing as a black man. As a woman, I wouldn’t have been perceived as an intruder.

Archived