Tywin fans unite!

Lord Orys

They were going to grow up to disrespect Tywin... duh. :rolleyes:

Who could disrespect Tywin? He who inspired this song:

"nd hoo r u" de prowd lor sed "dat I mus bou so loe. onlee a kat uv a difernt cote, das al da truf I knoe. in a cote uv gol nd a cote uv read, de liyn stil haz claus. nd mien r lon nd shawp mai lor, alson nd shawp ass urs."

nd soe he spok n so he spok, dat lawd o castamiir, butt now da reinz wiip or hiz hal wif noone der to heer, yez now da reinz wiip orr hiz hal n not a sowl to heer.

Da Reinz of Castamiir.

"nd hoo r u" de prowd lor sed "dat I mus bou so loe. onlee a kat uv a difernt cote, das al da truf I knoe. in a cote uv gol nd a cote uv read, de liyn stil haz claus. nd mien r lon nd shawp mai lor, alson nd shawp ass urs."

nd soe he spok n so he spok, dat lawd o castamiir, butt now da reinz wiip or hiz hal wif noone der to heer, yez now da reinz wiip orr hiz hal n not a sowl to heer.

Da Reinz of Castamiir.

is that a dubstep remix?

Da Reinz of Castamiir.

Is that actually supposed to be funny?

Maybe not, but Tywin wasn't just losing battles, he was losing the war. Against a 16 year old. Now if he was facing superior forces, like say Lee (who was a military genius, but still lost the war) during the civil war, that's one thing, but I would think the Westerlands were quite capable of beating the North and the Riverlands.

Tywin did pretty much take out the Riverlands early in the war. But his position after that was extremely difficult. In addition to the Northmen, Tywin also had Stannis and Renly to contend with. He didn't actually have to face the Baratheons in battle until later, but his options against Robb Stark were extremely limited because of them.

Also, Robb had significant victories against the Lannisters but Tywin successfully lured a huge portion of his forces away (by pressuring the Riverlords into splitting to protect their own lands) and turned half of Robb's "Kingdom" into a devastation. He also avoided making any fatal mistakes, unlike Robb and Stannis.

And what wars has Tywin waged exactly? The one where he vastly outnumbered the Reynes or the one where he sacks the capital after waiting for the rebels to do all the work? Or the one where he gets his entire fleet destroyed by people like Euron & Vic?

Read up about the Reyne-Tarbeck Rebellion, it was no easy feat and Tywin executed it brilliantly. New info about that war has come out http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115331-tywin-the-commander/

Tywin was able to decisively end the war against the Targaryens while minimizing rebel casualties and ensuring a good position for his own House. But your statement about the Greyjoy Rebellion is just silly - anyone would have had their fleet burned in those circumstances. It was a surprise attack and the first military action by Balon; was Tywin supposed to use his crystal ball and predict the Iron Fleet sailing into Lannisport unprovoked? Not to mention the Lannister ships were most likely outnumbered

Shouldn't you at least win a few battles in an impressive ways to be called a military genius?

"Genius" is too strong a word for any commander in ASOIAF. But Tywin did win impressive battles in his youth. Read up about the Reyne-Tarbeck affair if you don't believe me http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115331-tywin-the-commander/

In later years his battles were nothing special but his broad strategy remained excellent

I find Tywin very entertaining and enjoyable as a character, but he gets terrible, terrible results. Everybody in his family hates each other, murderously so in some cases, his line is on the verge of extinction, and after ruling the kingdom for a couple of years it is on the verge of its worst disaster in centuries, and I'm not even talking about the Others, I'm talking about mass starvation. Much of the realms croplands were not worked during the last of autumn before the long, severe winter because they were in a war zone.

He's really good at plotting, but that's about it. While we've been watching, we've seen his armies enjoy multiple losses to inferior forces and his family go straight downhill in pretty much every way you can measure it. He's dead, his daughter just got out of prison, one of his sons lost a hand after a humiliating military defeat, and the other son just escaped slavery on the other side of the world after fleeing his execution on this side.

Archived