Does Varys really serve Aegon?

Ser Charles of Rosehaven

I mean in some part of the books a phrase appears and it says the following "Nothing reunites a country half so quick as an outside invation."

And when asked by Ned about who he really serves he says that the realm and the children or somethin like that.

And finally 4 books later a guy who had been saved by Varys 15 years ago appears being helped by Varys, Ilirio, JonCon and the GC in order to get the IT.

What is this a foreign invasion in a realm that is full of chaos after a war in which 5 different kings participated.

However the Lannisters were putting all in order until our loved eunuch appears again and slays the guy who was creating some tipe of order and when slaying him he says "chaos and mistrust will eat the ground under your boy king and while your allies fight each other aegon will raise his banners in storms end" so he creates chaos again and sends a foreign invasion. Is it just he didnt want the Lannisters in power or what is he trying?

So...why was Varys helping the Mad King the whole time?

He wasn't. He was destabilizing Aerys's rule for Illyrio. "ut Robert was too strong, and Lord Stark moved too swiftly . . . " --Works just as well for Varys and Illyrio as for Pycelle and Tywin.

Yes, I believe that fAegon is Varys's endgame, and he (in his capacity as the Blackfyre claimant) has been from the moment he first set foot in Westeros during Aerys's reign.

And I think another layer of deception and lies within lies would just be a little eye rolling at this point.

Telling Aerys that Rhaegar was working against him wasn't a lie. Rhaegar was indeed trying to remove him from power, is not like this was an invention of Varys to put him against his son. Varys' situation wasn't different from the KG looking aside to the Mad King's crimes. All of them were making their work and what it was expected of them to do. If Varys had suddenly decided that indeed, Rhaegar would make the better King and hide that information from Aerys, he would be in danger, specially if Aerys found out. Because he brought Varys due to his effectiveness. Knowing that he was also conspiring along with Rhaegar would mean Varys is roasted.

People believed that Varys is omnipotent. He is not. For instance, he never knew about the Martell's plan to marry VIserys and Arianne. And he could do nothing about Joffrey beheading Ned. For Varys' alleged plans to work (putting the BF on the throne), it depends on so many people acting in many specific ways that he couldn't control. There is no way he could have foreseen Rhaegar running away with Lyanna, or Brandon reacting the way he did. Because those were the seeds of the Rebellion. Yes, he could have "whispered" to Aerys that he needed to call for Robert's and Ned's heads, but even if he did, he couldn't have either foreseen who the winner of the Rebellion would be, or that Jaime would kill Aerys. If indeed, Rhaegar had been successful in the Trident, then he would call for the Great Council, he would be proclaimed King, and Varys would be sacked from KL. There is no way Varys could have known for certain that Rhaegar would lose and that the King would be left defenceless in KL.

Varys now wants Aegon on the throne. Why?

However the Lannisters were putting all in order until our loved eunuch appears again and slays the guy who was creating some tipe of order and when slaying him he says "chaos and mistrust will eat the ground under your boy king and while your allies fight each other aegon will raise his banners in storms end" so he creates chaos again and sends a foreign invasion. Is it just he didnt want the Lannisters in power or what is he trying?

Whatever the Targaryens did, or whatever the King Aerys did, the realm was in peace. The worst of Aerys' madness manifested at the end of his life, and once the Rebellion had started. Aerys knew his son was working against him, and any kind of misbehaviour of his Lords was going to ignite (npi) his paranoia.

Robert was a weak King. It was the Lannisters in power since day one, and the Lannisters always wanted power. Tywin wanted Cersei to be Queen because that would give him a grandson that would be King, and that he could eventually control. Even after Rhaegar was married, Tywin kept Cersei around so he could use her to gain any kind of power, either after Elia dies or to Viserys. And that was dangerous. It proves how ambitious Tywin was.

After Robert died, Joffrey was out of control. Only Tyrion could, in a way, keep him at bay. And Varys did show some kind of appreciation for him. But once Tywin got to KL, he was pretty much the King in everything but name. Tywin was a dangerous man. Yes, the Lannisters kept peace, but what would be the cost? Killing innocent people? Letting his monsters rape women and girls to prove his point? Executing children because their parents rebel? Tywin's rule would be a dictatorship that would only benefit House Lannister or House Tywin. I'm not saying that Varys wanted to save the realm from Tywin, but, he at least knew that house Lannister in charge it was a very dangerous thing to happen.

Why Aegon?

Because, despite the opinions in this board, there are people in Westeros who still remembers the Targaryens fondly. The common folk and some houses are still, in their way, loyal to the Dragons. In a way, you could say that there could be some who thought the Baratheons removed the Targaryens to bring chaos and misery, because that's exactly what happened to the smallfolk. The common people remember Rhaegar. If Rhaegar's son returns to claim his father's throne, they would accept him, and many houses would rally to his favour and AGAINST the Lannisters. Aegon brings more chances of peace than any other pretender so far.

ETA: Before anyone says "But Varys is also creating chaos while playing his game!!". Well, also is Dany. Also is Stannis. So, meh.

He wasn't. He was destabilizing Aerys's rule for Illyrio. "ut Robert was too strong, and Lord Stark moved too swiftly . . . " --Works just as well for Varys and Illyrio as for Pycelle and Tywin.

Nope. Varys warned Aerys against both Rhaegar and Tywin. That's not destabilizing.

Varys was willing to let KL and its 500,000 men die by wildfire.

Nope. Varys warned Aerys against both Rhaegar and Tywin. That's not destabilizing.

Varys was willing to let KL and its 500,000 men die by wildfire.

Seems to me that Varys wanted to isolate Aerys from his strongest ally (Tywin), his son, and drove him to such state of paranoia that it was only a matter of time before he pissed off half the realm (which he eventually did when he burned the Starks)

I guess the wildfire explosion would have been the cherry on top of the shit sundae and a fitting end to the Targs

According to Jaime, Varys was fueling Aerys' paranoia all the time while he was with him.

And Barristan also said the rot at Aerys' court began with Varys

That's why I'm always saying we do not know shit about Varys and his true intentions.

He was fueling his paranoia...but he was helping him. Not the Targaryen; him. Why?

That's why I'm always saying we do not know shit about Varys and his true intentions.

He was fueling his paranoia...but he was helping him. Not the Targaryen; him. Why?

Oh, I agree, we don't know shit about Varys. But I do think that "helping" Aerys and "fueling his paranoia" aren't mutually exclusive. Varys was doing his job, but his job drove Aerys mad

Was he?

If a paranoid man asks me if the Earth is round, and I tell him that yes, it is, am I fuelling his paranoia? Am I suppose to lie to him?

Rhaegar was actually trying to take him down. He believed so and he was right. Someone -in this case, his own son- was working against him. Is paranoia if he's right?

I am not sure he was helping him. We know Varys warned him about Rhaegar and Tywin. But he may have warned him of others that were innocent.

I am not sure he was helping him. We know Varys warned him about Rhaegar and Tywin. But he may have warned him of others that were innocent.

But we don't know that. We know Varys didn't want Tywin into KL. We do not know why.

Was he?

If a paranoid man asks me if the Earth is round, and I tell him that yes, it is, am I fuelling his paranoia? Am I suppose to lie to him?

Rhaegar was actually trying to take him down. He believed so and he was right. Someone -in this case, his own son- was working against him. Is paranoia if he's right?

Varys was the one who warned Aerys...not the other way around. Aerys didn't ask him "Is my son trying to get me out of this Throne?". Varys warned him first against that.

But as I say, the strangest thing is the warning against Tywin. One could argue Varys didn't know about the wildfire...but c'mon. Varys didn't give a shit about KL and its population.

Was he?

But how many of Aerys' enemies were made because of him? Rhaegar wanted to overthrow him because he was loco crazy, Tywin was presumably plotting against him because Aerys fired him in the first place, the rebels wanted him dead after he burned the Starks.

Killer new avatar, btw! :p

But we don't know that. We know Varys didn't want Tywin into KL. We do not know why.

"He saw traitors everywhere, and Varys was always there to point out any he might have missed."

That's what Jaime told. According to him, Varys was constantly informing Aerys of enemies and Varys, as clever as he is, should have seen how that was affecting Aerys. Although, what Jaime said is a bit too vague to draw any real conclusion, I think it makes sense, considering that I see no real reason why Varys would be so loyal to Aerys.

Archived