UK Politics: Crisis For Doomed [Insert Name]

Horza

The thing about austerity measures is... well, sometimes you need them. It's unavoidable. The reason Poland was the only country in the EU not to have a recession in the credit crunch is (I believe) because they essentially, as part of how the country moved on from Communism and dealt with entering the EU, went through the austerity thing in advance (not on purpose) and had therefore not gotten into the web that claimed everyone else.

But what the Tories are doing isn't that. It's fucking the poor to let the rich keep trundling along as they have been without a change. Austerity is meant to be a quick sharp shock to a country's system that resets the economy into something smaller, but managable and cleaner. What's going on in the UK now is something like patching up the holes in the roof by digging out the foundations, and it's gonna bite us all in the arse.

Indeed.

The austerity we're being put through is a choice, not a necessity. Lets not forget that this is the year that the wealth of the richest 1000 people increased by 15.4%. The money is there, it's just that we are apparently not allowed to have any of it. They truly are scum.

I'm guessing that public sector salaries (not including MPs, obvs) count as benefits also, so we can keep those frozen too. The crucial thing is that no-one's inheritance is threatened and that dynasties can continue!

I'm still living large after last year's 1% pay rise anyway.

The thing about austerity measures is... well, sometimes you need them. It's unavoidable. The reason Poland was the only country in the EU not to have a recession in the credit crunch is (I believe) because they essentially, as part of how the country moved on from Communism and dealt with entering the EU, went through the austerity thing in advance (not on purpose) and had therefore not gotten into the web that claimed everyone else.

Austerity is only ever justifiable on an economic upswing. In a depressed economy, it's as stupid as it is cruel.

(Poland had the massive advantage of having its own currency during the crisis. The UK does too, but it adopted austerity through its own choice, not the choice of Merkel and company).

Freelance male, sent pictures of unknown female, without their consent. Apparantly just random internet pic.

now I'm really disapointed. I was hoping for "noted" hetrosexual sending selfie pics to male reporter. just for the added ebarasment our leaders obviously feel resulting in the need to stress the Noted hetrosexual.

Oh and I kinda wanted the photo described. just for the senders added embarasment. not cos I'm interested in knowing. honest.

The problem Labour had was finding someone who was (1) not tarnished with Blairite New Labour stuff, (2) not tarnished by association with Gordon Brown, and (3) relatively young.

I think Milliband still wins. Labour have several structural advantages under the current system, which should (at worst) see them as the largest party in another hung Parliament.

The problem Labour had was finding someone who was (1) not tarnished with Blairite New Labour stuff, (2) not tarnished by association with Gordon Brown, and (3) relatively young.

I think Milliband still wins. Labour have several structural advantages under the current system, which should (at worst) see them as the largest party in another hung Parliament.

I'm pretty sure the Conservatives and Labour will each finish on between 270-310 seats. I think it's very likely the Conservatives will finish ahead on votes, but not necessarily ahead on seats. I think the Lib Dems will be hammered (every poll over the weekend gives them 6-7%, compared to 24% in 2010). UKIP will get into Parliament and the SNP will make gains.

Peter Kellner gives the following scenario. Con and Lab c. 290 each. Lib Dem 25. SNP 20. Northern Ireland 18, UKIP 10. Who governs then?

An IDS IT project connected with the purchase of basic neccessities. That'll end well.

I'm unconvinced IDS even knows what IT is.

Peter Kellner gives the following scenario. Con and Lab c. 290 each. Lib Dem 25. SNP 20. Northern Ireland 18, UKIP 10. Who governs then?

I could imagine a Labour/Lib Dem/SNP coalition (with the SNP demanding as many powers for the Scottish Parliament as they can get).

I don't want to even imagine a Conservative/UKIP coalition because I don't want nightmares.

I don't think a Labour-SNP coalition would be a good idea. Labour would probably be fucking themselves over in the long term for some short terms gains.

I'm sure there are politicians out there who aren't willing to compromise the long term for short term gains but I'm not sure there are very many of them, so this probably wouldn't stop it happening.

I'm pretty sure the Conservatives and Labour will each finish on between 270-310 seats. I think it's very likely the Conservatives will finish ahead on votes, but not necessarily ahead on seats. I think the Lib Dems will be hammered (every poll over the weekend gives them 6-7%, compared to 24% in 2010). UKIP will get into Parliament and the SNP will make gains.

If Labour and the Tories are level pegging in vote share, Labour will have a majority. If UKIP get ten seats, then they're getting second or third in dozens or even hundreds of others - you're looking at a 1983 vote-splitting situation, and Labour having a massive majority on a very low vote share.

(Note that Labour's inbuilt advantage isn't really gerrymandering. It's simply a combination of Tony Blair killing turnout in safe Labour seats while Tories in safe Tory areas turn out, together with anti-Tory tactical voting. Pretty much the only thing saving the Lib Dems from being sent back to the 1950s is that many Labourites will still hold their noses and vote Lib Dem because the only other option is the Tory).

Any coalition which keeps the Tories out is fine by me. This coalition is a dry run for the unrestrained shite they'll push on us of they are in power again.

For instance, David Cameron wants everyone to learn in imperial measurements again - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/30/david-cameron-schools-should-teach-mainly-in-imperial-measurements

Its not the 50's anymore FFS.

For instance, David Cameron wants everyone to learn in imperial measurements again - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/30/david-cameron-schools-should-teach-mainly-in-imperial-measurements

He couldn't come across as any more panicked about UKIP (whose core constituency likes that sort of thing) if he tried.

Next it'll be bringing back the old money. Farthings too, I expect.

He couldn't come across as any more panicked about UKIP (whose core constituency likes that sort of thing) if he tried.

Next it'll be bringing back the old money. Farthings too, I expect.

Indeed. Also hearing rumours that he wants the military to wear red again and stand in little lines and boxes in the face of enemy fire

ETA: I'm also really enthusiastic for my soon to be 18 year old brother who will have to choose between poverty and debt as there's no way he'll be able to find a job where he lives at the moment. The continuing attack on those who caused the recession - the young and vulnerable - is truly inspiring

He is an old fart so its normal for him to think in Pounds and Ounces. Its the way older peoples brains are wired. I even think in Imperial when measuring wieghts.

teaching imperial does have the benefit of also teaching fractions and 12 times table and gives practical exarmples of when you would use maths in the real world. so there may be some reason to teach this oout of date measurment system in schools (but not be the primary system taught)

Archived