College Football 2014: For Whom the Cowbell Tolls

Rhom

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard

Is it just me or does ESPN list both Mississippi State and Ole Miss as #3 on the scoreboard page? Which is it ESPN? WHICH IS IT!?

My head near exploded when I saw that. I was momentarily 'Are they ranking in conferences ...what?' and then I closed the tab because I just couldn't process what I was seeing any longer on a day when you needed to know what was at stake where.Hmph.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there name for the battle of Mississippi? Can't believe what a big game this is shaping up to be.

I lean Ole Miss because of their spectacular unis on the one hand, but one of my main football watching buddies has an irrational hatred of Dan Mullen, so I am also enjoying giving him a hard time about his boy at State.

The Egg Bowl, I think?

Yeah it's the Egg Bowl. I would sell my soul to the devil if it meant I could go to that game this season.

Bro, I will get us tickets and we will go. I ain't even lying.

Great win obviously. Forget the yards A&M put up, most of that was in garbage time. Our defense held them to dinking and dunking all night and got huge takeaways, two of which resulted in TDs. On the negative side, our offense didn't really do anything in the second half, which is a bit concerning. Freeze was very conservative play calling in the second half (we only threw 3 or 4 passes the entire half) but still, against a defense as anemic as A&M I expected better. That's just nitpicking though, I can't complain too much about a 2 TD win at Kyle Field, when 80% of those Yell Leading jerkoffs were gone by the start of the 4th quarter.

Hotty damn toddy! Bring on the Vols!

ETA:

I lean Ole Miss because of their spectacular unis on the one hand, but one of my main football watching buddies has an irrational hatred of Dan Mullen, so I am also enjoying giving him a hard time about his boy at State.

There is no such thing as an irrational hatred of Dan Mullen. Your buddy sounds like an awesome guy.

Wow... What a great couple of games I got to watch today. First, Texas beats OU 26-31 (shhhhh... Those Oakies can't read or do math so they will not know they won unless you tell them.)

Then we had the best football game of the year with Baylor/TCU. That game was a regulation game that lasted over four and a half hours. Well over 1,000 yards of offense, and 118 points that were scored against both teams that have heavy duty defenses in FBS. This was an amazing day for the Big XII...

Just watched highlights of the TCU-Baylor game.

Are you kidding me TCU???????????

Yep, TCU really blew it today. I hope Wrath is doing alright after that one.

Incidentally, Baylor's next game is @WVU. I do not like our chances in that game at all, but handing Baylor a loss would be glorious. We did beat them the last time they came so there's always a chance.

Yep, TCU really blew it today. I hope Wrath is doing alright after that one.

Incidentally, Baylor's next game is @WVU. I do not like our chances in that game at all, but handing Baylor a loss would be glorious. We did beat them the last time they came so there's always a chance.

We're always tough at home, especially at night. Unfortunately, its a noon game and our defense is suspect and I don't think we can put up 60 pts either. All in all, it ain't looking good. But there's a chance, there's always a chance.

I have almost never been so unhappy about a loss. We just folded. Our defense was too gassed to make stops in the fourth, and our defensive coaches made NO adjustments at all. None. To stop the deep pass. For fuck's sake we stayed in our base defensive set with close safeties and bump-and-run man coverage in the fourth despite getting burned ALL NIGHT.

To compound the defensive failure, we run two terrible offensive series that somehow seemingly fail to burn any clock at all. We make no adjustments to the blitzing and don't put our playmakers in position to make plays.

Flat got out-coached. We had the game won and let it slip away. On the bright side, nobody else that we play has the offensive talent that Baylor has, so I am still liking our chances for a good season.

Oh, and I think this is obligatory for anyone who loses a close game, but we got fucked over by the refs. Two blatant PIs not called against Baylor on third downs in the fourth, the HORRIBLE PI call against us that gets Baylor in scoring position, and the two mystery personal foul penalties after our pick-6 that were never announced and never shown on TV. There was also a free play for Baylor with :27 left when the clock didn't run at all.

You know what the worst part is? I hate Baylor worse than any other school except Tech and we may have just won Petty a Heisman.

While I have no clue why the refs stopped the clock at the end and put more time on the clock for LSU to kick their winning field goal, we had no business winning that game. This is the worst Gator team I've seen since Spurrier took over. Worse than any of the Zook teams.

In the 4th year of Muschamp, there are no excuses for the constant drops, missed assignments, poor play calling, inaccurate quarterback play, etc. By biggest issue with Muschamp's tenure has been the complete inability to develop the offensive talent we have, or to even identify offensive talent in the first place. These are all highly recruited players. Are we just unlucky and missing on these guys? Or are we just awful at developing them? I think it has to be the latter. For the first few years we seemed uninterested in creating a downfield passing offense anyway, so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that the receivers have not developed into threats in this 4th year when we're told we are actually trying to utilize them. Just a mess.

If there was a Meyer out there this year like there was in Zook's final year, I imagine Muschamp would get the quick hook. As it stands I guess we'll play out the year and just hope for a shitty bowl game. It's been startling to watch the rapid decline. We're 2 years removed from a near miss at the SEC and maybe national titles, but even that year never felt great. Muschamp's coaching philosophy just demands too much good fortune. Even a small slip up will usually provide a hole too big to dig out of with our putrid offense.

Go Gators.

ETA: shit I've completely forgotten how to link stuff for some reason this morning... Anyways, until my brain works again:

http://deadspin.com/details-emerge-of-sayreville-football-locker-room-sexua-1645380027?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Ugggh... Are football players of all ages just horrible human beings?!!?

I don't understand how this is called "hazing" and not rape like it actually is. And the fact that one of the kids is going to Penn State is a sad joke that practically writes itself.

ETA2: close enough

Coaches poll is out with MS St, FSU and Ole Miss top 3. Definitely could see the argument for FSU dropping two spots even though they won. Next week is going to be huge for the season - one loss doesn't exclude someone, but they need a win over a quality team to show that "reigning national champ" isn't good enough to stay at #1.

Archived